• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. The problem with the dripfeed content model
So we got these two new monsters. Great. My friend and I hunted them both, and after hunting each one just a couple more times, we'll have all of the parts we need to make all of the pieces of armor we want. Their weapons are not worth making because Safi exists, at least until they finally finish the layered weapons (they definitely did it this way with only s***ty weapons having layered first on purpose).

So after we do that, then what? No new content at all for another month until Kulve and Namielle make their rounds. Kulve might lead to a decent amount of hunts until we have everything we want from her. Then what? Another month of nothing until Alatreon. Who knows what kind of loot he'll have and how long he'll last?

While this update schedule certainly isn't the worst in the gaming industry (here's lookin' at you, Soul Calibur 6, more than half a year since the last character/DLC), they could be doing a lot more to keep endgame players interested by adding things that will actually take a while to complete or add a lot more variety. New monsters are great, but what would really go a long way for content would be new missions where they sandbox together some new, really out-there things to fight/do. Here's just a short list of things I could think of for missions and other content they could add with minimal effort compared to how long it takes to make a new monster:

A complete set of missions involving fighting a super-sized or super-small version of every monster (Maybe except siege monsters and Xeno) similar to the Mega Man collab's tiny Odogaron and the Greatest Jagras. This would be a very large number of unique experiences to do all by itself. They could also try their hand at some really wacky missions like having a huge horde of small monsters come at you in an arena and you have to kill them all Dynasty-Warriors style. Just imagine being in a huge hoard of Wulg jumping at you and trying to wrap around you as you send them flying everywhere. I think that would be a hilarious mission to do at least once, and they could even make variants of the mission where you can't wear clothes or something. I'd even like a mission where you have to hunt EVERY non-siege monster in the game in a row at their normal health, probably in the Guiding Lands. It would be a test of skill, will, and endurance that this game sorely lacks. They could also just start doing absolutely wild stuff with the monsters, like making a Rathalos that hurls lightning bolts instead of fire. It would take very little work for the devs to do things like that than it would to make an entirely new monster or even a sub-species or variant. Just go crazy with it and give us some new experiences.

Several different kinds of races, including simple parkour, Insect Glaive (or even Dual Blade with the jumping attack) parkour, Raider Ride races with full control, a map with more than one of the same monster on it and each player has to race against eachother to capture theirs first, and so on, I'm sure there could be more. You could have new rewards for these, such as unlocking the ability to freely control your raider ride by winning a race with them (call it "Rider's Bond" or something) and unlocking new pendants or even baubles and other stuff like color palettes to customize your Raider Rides.

A LOT more stuff to do in your room. They could easily add some card/board games or something, your room in Seliana has a giant table that can seat 6(?) people, there's no real reason they couldn't come up with a minimum of one or two games to play on it. Gwent was so popular in the Witcher 3 game that it got its own full spinoff game. They could also add mini-versions of big monsters to interact with in your room that could cycle through their behaviors and animations (like Tobi rubbing a wall or any monster sleeping), and have it where you could put two different monsters on one floor space to make them turf war occasionally if they have one. If they did the Raider idea I described above, they could also put all of your raider rides somewhere in your room to show off their race stats (number of races, win/loss ratio, jumps made, etc) and customizations and let you play with them.

Getting us the rest of the game's gear as layered stuff. There's no real reason to keep us from having it for such a long time, and if they made each set take more materials, it would give us a reason to hunt the monsters more.

These are just a few ideas of how they could add some lengthy content to the game at a much faster clip than the "Monthly Model" they're currently using. For those of us that have completed the game's content already, this model adds a few hours of gameplay at most each month unless it's a siege which adds slightly more, which really isn't good enough.
XBL GT: Dapper DLnosaur.
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: Enclosure

Enclosure
1 week ago#2
tl;dr
"gimme more free content"
http://imgur.com/wNyX55h.jpg

User Info: Unbound-King

Unbound-King
1 week ago#3
I dunno, I appreciate the ability to be able to stop playing a video game.
It doesn't need to drain my time for all it's worth, there's other stuff I wanna play too, y'know.
But that's just me.
GT: Sho Minamimotto PSN: Azure_Reaper8 3Ds FC: 0662-2616-5710
I'm just a Scrublord. I prefer casual games.

User Info: Rhiethreal

Rhiethreal
1 week ago#4
Grind more or play something else. This isn't an MMO.
http://rhiethreal.deviantart.com
In consideration of the Pandemic, I have cleared my ignore list. Trolling will get you quickly readded to it.

User Info: Fairycancel

Fairycancel
1 week ago#5
I mean, I'm already kinda tired of playing this game so a cooldown period is on my best interest lol. Lets not pretend that this game doesn't have the best replay value of almost any current game.

Hell, I still havent maxed my guiding lands nor capped all the charms I need to cap after 800 hours... Like, what more do you want from this game? Lol
MHGen Ign: Soleil, Mordecai
Like to often use: Bow(Drilltusk/Teo Adept), DB(FMDX=Aerial), LS(Guild/Striker), GS(Aerial from time to time)
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: Edgemaster70000

Edgemaster70000
1 week ago#6
Enclosure posted...
tl;dr
"gimme more free content"

No, TL:DR They could be using the same amount of effort to give us significantly longer-lasting content than they have been.

It doesn't need to drain my time for all it's worth, there's other stuff I wanna play too, y'know.
But that's just me.

This content would all be entirely optional and not required for gear or anything. It's always wrong to want a reason to quit playing a game. If you want to play something else, just play something else. You don't HAVE to do all of the content a game has if you don't want to, obviously.

Grind more or play something else. This isn't an MMO.

The game is very heavily styled toward an MMO, the only things it sorely lacks in that regard are a good story and long quest chains, and having more than 4 people at a time in a mission. The grind and gear/items are all very MMO-esque.

Lets not pretend that this game doesn't have the best replay value of almost any current game.
Hell, I still havent maxed my guiding lands nor capped all the charms I need to cap after 800 hours... Like, what more do you want from this game? Lol

I never said it didn't, but after a certain point there's just no reason to hunt anymore, and the problem with the monthly schedule they're doing is that it only adds a few hours' worth of content when it's just two new monsters. What I'm saying is that if they used a different strategy for content, the content they do add would last a lot longer than 5-8 hunts.

If you still haven't capped your guiding lands levels after 800 hours, that's nobody's fault but yours for being so inconceivably inefficient. Like, what are you actually doing? As for "what more do you want", what I want is for more content to show for a month's time than a couple hours of hunting when it's well-within the devs' ability to do so. If this game had mod support, you'd better believe a single modder could put out more interesting content in a week than the devs do in a year once they learn how the code works, just by making tons of wacky versions of the basegame monsters and building some quests.
XBL GT: Dapper DLnosaur.
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: nuke2099

nuke2099
1 week ago#7
In the process of two days I got all the Raging Brachy weapons just because. Mainly so if I want an extra skill for a certain fight I can easily swap them out with the Safi blast ones. I might do the same with Furious and just make all it's weapons as well for the sake of it. But yeah if you have all you want there really is nothing other than Safi right now but that's fine.

Take a break, play some other games. RE3 remake is just around the corner. After getting my dragon and water bow done I'll start using bows more but I'll also take a break from Safi and "recharge" while I wait for MT Kulve because in April Safi will be back and so will the Great spiritvein quest.

I think the reset tonight will bring the Hoarfrost crown quest so that's something to do as well.

Edit: Safi leaves tonight anyway and won't come back until the April festival.
Gamertag: Nuke2099
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: Enigma8th

Enigma8th
1 week ago#8
Edgemaster70000 posted...
They could be using the same amount of effort to give us significantly longer-lasting content than they have been.
how can [More content] require the same amount of effort of [No content]?
There was a HOLE here. It's gone now.

User Info: Dethuli

Dethuli
1 week ago#9
You really can't please everyone. Pick up WoW or FFXIV if you want a variety of "content" to waste time with.
Don't ask questions. Consume product. Get excited for next product.

User Info: SunaKi10

SunaKi10
1 week ago#10
You know, the Game is basicly finished.
They dont have to add more Stuff, but they did anyway.

Also there are the Eventarmor and this beautifull Fish Dualblades, Im definitly going to make.

1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. The problem with the dripfeed content model
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A