• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. Beat Iceborne, now taking time to get some answers

User Info: LtMessiahDM504

LtMessiahDM504
1 week ago#1
  1. Besides the limitation of where they can be equipped, are there certain skills that can only appear on 2 or 3 (triangle?) decorations? I know 4 can run 2 armor skills, just need clarification on the 2 and 3s
  2. Defense stat, how important is it really? How about elemental resistance?
  3. I play co-op with my son. Is it 2.2x health and 8x limb damage for us. So same for 3 and 4 players?
  4. If I am using an elemental weapon that the monster is strong against, say ice bow vs velkhana, besides losing that extra elemental damage, am I penalized at all?
  5. Any side tips that I may have missed. I have always dabbled with MH games so I know to eat and such (although i don't know about custom cooking) but I moved fast through the main game so we could get into iceborne (my son beat the game solo while I just did a few fights)

User Info: traumprinz

traumprinz
1 week ago#2
  1. spread/power shots, normal shots, pierce, mighty bow, elementless, minds eye, shield, magazine and some other trash like elderseal boost cant be 4 slot
  2. just use master rank armor and keep it upgraded. do not worry about the number too much. element resistance is ok to slot in per monster basis. so is blight res, ie if you put in blight res 3 vs namielle you cant get thunder or water blight
  3. its higher
  4. youre losing a f***ton of damage do not do this. bow and dual blades specifically.
  5. theres guides on custom cooking its worth learning about. damage boosts for bows and artillery, extra carts on quests
idk if theres anything in particular you want to know just ask
annak idejen kezdtuk egy darab teglaval meg egy kilo malacgecive

User Info: Gabe1

Gabe1
1 week ago#3
You.....beat.....Iceborne?
Rise up this mornin Smiled with the risin sun 3 little birds
Pitch by my doorstep Singin sweet songs Of melodies pure and true Sayin it is my message 2 you ou u

User Info: DOCoSPADEo

DOCoSPADEo
1 week ago#4
Gabe1 posted...
You.....beat.....Iceborne?
SOS makes it kinda easy to clear campaign. This was true in base game too.

User Info: Sunshinelady

Sunshinelady
1 week ago#5
2 Don't use defense up skills if that is what you are asking. Health Boost x 3 is the main "defensive" skill universally approved from a usefulness point of view. Also protection/divine blessing but mainly if you can get +5 (only from two gold rathian armor set bonus) Otherwise, upgrade your armor whenever you can and later augment to max def. You will fall somewhere on the high 800 low 900s, and don't bother getting passed that.

3 The scaling is something like 1.54x for 2 player.
hi hi

User Info: BanzaiHeil

BanzaiHeil
1 week ago#6
LtMessiahDM504 posted...
1. Besides the limitation of where they can be equipped, are there certain skills that can only appear on 2 or 3 (triangle?) decorations? I know 4 can run 2 armor skills, just need clarification on the 2 and 3s
It's easier to answer if you know what it was like pre-Iceborne. There were no 4 Slots, just 1-3. And the easiest way to understand that was to just consider the 1-3 as sizes. Some skills were on a Size 1, some on a Size 2, and some were Size 3. There are no skills that came on multiple sizes, UNTIL the introduction of the 4 Slots.

2. Defense stat, how important is it really? How about elemental resistance?
Important enough to be using Master Rank gear unless you are REALLY good, but NOT important enough that you should ever prioritize the Defense Stat over skills that benefit you.

3. I play co-op with my son. Is it 2.2x health and 8x limb damage for us. So same for 3 and 4 players?
2 player has it's own scaling now.

4. If I am using an elemental weapon that the monster is strong against, say ice bow vs velkhana, besides losing that extra elemental damage, am I penalized at all?
As a Gunlance main, I'm not the best person to answer this one, but I don't believe so. However for some weapons that lost elemental damage that you mentioned is penalty enough to where you should avoid this.

5. Any side tips that I may have missed. I have always dabbled with MH games so I know to eat and such (although i don't know about custom cooking) but I moved fast through the main game so we could get into iceborne (my son beat the game solo while I just did a few fights)
Take some time to go though each tab (and sometimes multiple pages) of the in-game options. There are a lot of little things you can do to tailor the experience, like setting the camera distance further back to give you a bigger view of your character's surroundings, adding a silhouette when your character is obstructed from view, etc.
PSN: BanzaiHeil
Never forget: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/615804-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/61379169

User Info: jagger_wanderer

jagger_wanderer
1 week ago#7
Certain monsters will take damage from elemental values even if the 'star' is low. Those with 'X' on it won't take the extra damage at all. If you're wondering if velkana gets healed from taking ice elemental value, this game doesn't work that way. Elemental weaknesses just devalue the numbers till it's zero.
After a few hours of solo, I will admit it does get lonely...

User Info: Sirk

Sirk
1 week ago#8
You are not specifically penalized for using poor elemental lineups against monsters except by losing up to the entire portion of elemental damage you would deal. If you're using an element-heavy class, like Bow, that could be around half of your damage output.

(My favorite example of this phenomenon is Adept Stormslinger, whose special, moddable ammo, the Storm Bolt, is thunder-element. If you use it against Fulgur Anjanath, you will be impressed how bad the damage is.)

LtMessiahDM504 posted...
Any side tips that I may have missed. I have always dabbled with MH games so I know to eat and such (although i don't know about custom cooking) but I moved fast through the main game so we could get into iceborne (my son beat the game solo while I just did a few fights)
For a while, you don't need to worry about custom cooking. That's really only if you have vouchers / gourmet vouchers to spare. For most of the game, either use the Chef's platter or an Attack Up (L) platter.

Other tips? Use the Steamworks from time to time, as there are good items to be had from it. (You can use a rubber band to hold down R2 and make it do the work for you, too.)

Do the Tailraider Safari if it's not too out of the way.

Keep up with the Botanical Center (the "farm").

Get used to clutch claw weakening and flinch shotting, they are going to be with us for the rest of Iceborne's life in pretty much every kind of quest.
It takes both rain and shine to make a rainbow.

LtMessiahDM504
1 week ago#9
Let me clarify. I bought MHWorld when it launched. I played until the Anjanath story quest and quit. My son went through the whole game and beat it. We were waiting for a good time to buy and play through iceborne together. So Christmas break we both ran my character through the story of MHWorld. Then we beat Shara (after like 7 tries). We didn't SoS because I come from the feeling that we should be able to go through it without help. I play the souls games and bloodborne the same way. I solo'd all of from soft titles except Sekiro which I haven't played yet.

Decorations- I haven't gotten any crit boost or WEX decorations so I was curious how they operated. So thanks for clearing that up

So the new 2 player scaling doesn't have that ridiculous 8x limb health? I guess that does make sense because we managed to chop off glavenus' tail but I couldn't when I solo'd acidic and focused his tail down.

I know I lose the damage of the element I am using, but I was wondering if the raw on the elemental weapon isn't affected which I assume it wouldn't be. I don't really like using bows or dual blades so it is more of a general question. I have all elements covered across a few weapon types but I felt like I was forcing myself to use my glavenus bow on acidic and I just don't love the bow playstyle. It's just more a question for hammers, CBs, SA, and....lance or GL?...

I saw the option of adding the silhouette and didn't even think clearly on it. Would have helped when I downed shara earlier and couldn't figure out which end I was at.

side note - I timed out on blackveil with the glavenus bow, came back and beat him in 34 or 35 minutes with paolumu switch axe. Seems like lots of time...
MRank Diablos took me 32 last night. Shara also took me 36. Just made the Grinding Mallet, now I need to farm black diablos for the armor set.

I primarily love hammer especially when we are playing together. But I also like SA and CB. HBG seems intriguing in that you have so much utility. Gun Lance seems like another weapon type I may like as well. Long Sword is lots of fun also.

I will definitely start looking into that cooking guide. I had an acidic glav investigation earlier and I could only faint 1 time so I switched over the palico vigorwasp for the free revive, and had to run expeditions to reset the cook 3 times for moxie to trigger. I didn't know moxie just keeps you alive with 1 health and I was standing in the poison rotten vale area... woops.

Thanks so much for all the help. Great community!

LtMessiahDM504
1 week ago#10
Sirk posted...
You are not specifically penalized for using poor elemental lineups against monsters except by losing up to the entire portion of elemental damage you would deal. If you're using an element-heavy class, like Bow, that could be around half of your damage output.

(My favorite example of this phenomenon is Adept Stormslinger, whose special, moddable ammo, the Storm Bolt, is thunder-element. If you use it against Fulgur Anjanath, you will be impressed how bad the damage is.)

For a while, you don't need to worry about custom cooking. That's really only if you have vouchers / gourmet vouchers to spare. For most of the game, either use the Chef's platter or an Attack Up (L) platter.

Other tips? Use the Steamworks from time to time, as there are good items to be had from it. (You can use a rubber band to hold down R2 and make it do the work for you, too.)

Do the Tailraider Safari if it's not too out of the way.

Keep up with the Botanical Center (the "farm").

Get used to clutch claw weakening and flinch shotting, they are going to be with us for the rest of Iceborne's life in pretty much every kind of quest.

I timed out on a Mrank rathalos about 2 weeks ago and realized the weapon I was using they were strong against. I forgot what it was but I also wasn't using clutch claw at all and he stayed in the air an insane amount of time. Part of me doesn't like that I have to use the clutch claw but it is what it is.

I don't even know how the steamworks works and thats something I need to look up because I stumbled through 2 uses and was able to get a ticket for a glav mantle for my hammer :)

I have three slots for botanical research. I am trying to keep things stocked I can have 2 fertilizers going at once currently. I have 2 slots shy of a 4 full pages of things to dupe/grow. 30 item box size. I am also starting to use the tailriders more and I keep buying all argosy things. I have 95000 research so I don't know how much of it I am going to need.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. Beat Iceborne, now taking time to get some answers
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Answers