• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. If you ever thought about switching to PC, dont do it

User Info: BabySh0es

BabySh0es
1 week ago#1
The increase in frames are not worth it. s*** literally bricked my windows install somehow and i still have no clue wtf happened. All i know is my computer is fine after uninstalling MHW and reinstalling my windows 10.

Never should have left PS4. Its bonkers that the same company that had fine ports in resident evil 2 and dmc 5 made this mess

User Info: gozioso

gozioso
1 week ago#2
That sucks. I'm glad that you were able to get your system up and running. I rarely buy ANY software at release. It's just not worth the grief.

BabySh0es
1 week ago#3
gozioso posted...
That sucks. I'm glad that you were able to get your system up and running. I rarely buy ANY software at release. It's just not worth the grief.
Yeah ive honestly never experienced anything like this before. The other bizarre thing was the GRUB prompt that usually shows up when i turn on my machine to boot into either Ubuntu or Windows 10 vanished, which was part of what led me to believe something got f***ed up with my OS.

User Info: gene0129

gene0129
1 week ago#4
If this game and RDR2 taught me anything, its that late PC ports are doomed to be porting disasters
Life is hard, but it's harder if you're stupid

BabySh0es
1 week ago#5
gene0129 posted...
If this game and RDR2 taught me anything, its that late PC ports are doomed to be porting disasters
Thats probably the case. I remember people saying a lot of bad things about the Dark Souls PC port way back when too. Seems to be a running trend.

User Info: Archwing3441

Archwing3441
1 week ago#6
BabySh0es posted...
Thats probably the case. I remember people saying a lot of bad things about the Dark Souls PC port way back when too. Seems to be a running trend.
I generally go with the theory that japanese developers aren’t use to porting games to PC since the japanese PC market is generally lower.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KztZmZDNCVg

User Info: Zennou

Zennou
1 week ago#7
gene0129 posted...
It's not this. It's just whatever team Capcom has working on MHW for PC is a joke. They programmed the base game on PC to function identically to consoles which is TERRIBLE and was the source of nearly all of the launch period problems, and now with Iceborne's PC port they spent their resources making a DirectX 12 API which requires Win10 and can crash the PC (didn't hear of it trying to brick a system like that till now but wow), and didn't seem to finish making Iceborne work for people not turning that DX12 API on in the options. If you have 8GB or less in VRAM, the game can easily max it out causing your GPU to overheat while separately maxing out your CPU. If you're anywhere near minimum requirements the game is unplayable. That's not an exaggeration, minimum requirement systems got tanked to about 1 frame per 5-10 seconds if they don't have Win10, and if they do then turning on the DX12 API can get you up to 20 FPS if you're lucky when it isn't crashing.

Even the highest end systems saw a significant performance downgrade, the best ones dropping by 20 FPS no matter where they were at before. The CPU/VRAM maxing out isn't an issue at that point but depending on your GPU it might still overheat which can cause its own problems. On top of all this some people have texture quality stuck at the second to lowest option, several visual effects such as non-water reflections are broken causing even more texture issues and it's just such a massive flaming dumpster that I honestly can't believe it was possible to f*** it up this badly. To dump ample amounts of salt on the wound, you can't even uninstall Iceborne and go back to base World without these problems, they patched all of that into base World on PC too.

It's not even a small number of people like a couple hundred running into these things, it's nearly universal. Dark Souls was a bad port sure, but that's Namco Bandai iirc and they have a long, storied history of bad PC ports. Capcom's PC ports are usually at least functional and not dangerous to your PC, unlike the Iceborne port.
We leap from dream to dream, and today we dream anew.
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: Snazzy21

Snazzy21
1 week ago#8
Im playing on PC and have had none of these problems or any performance issues. Im running a 3 (almost 4) year old 1070 an i7 6700 with 32gig of ram.
3DS Friend code 4613-7498-1738

User Info: Zennou

Zennou
1 week ago#9
Snazzy21 posted...
with 32gig of ram.
Can't imagine why you haven't noticed the bulk of it when the bulk of what I described being noticeable is limited to 8gig systems. I'll let you in on a little secret, a 1070 in an i7 is in fact not low (or even middling) performance just because it's a few years old. That s***'s still well ahead of most people. The texture problems are the only ones that aren't wide-spread so if you weren't the type to compare before/after FPS and you get above 60 after Iceborne, it's gonna be hard to notice in hindsight. The issues I described for systems that aren't low performance, such as yours aren't something you're gonna feel if you weren't looking for it unless your specific GPU happens to still overheat despite the ram not being maxed out or you suffer from the equally uncommon texture bugs. If, despite not being able to do a before test, you truly are completely unaffected then congratulations, your system beat the odds. Hell, as far as I've heard Linux users are getting better performance than Win10 users.

Regardless, doesn't mean the issues aren't there. I'm not in here saying to avoid getting Iceborne on PC if you've got a solid PC because as usual sheer processing power can muscle out the biggest problems. I'm in here saying the development team porting it to PC is a disaster and somehow managed to make every facet of the game's performance worse than it was prior to the expansion launching which is an incredible feat of incompetence.
We leap from dream to dream, and today we dream anew.

User Info: Snazzy21

Snazzy21
1 week ago#10
Zennou posted...
Can't imagine why you haven't noticed the bulk of it when the bulk of what I described being noticeable is limited to 8gig systems. I'll let you in on a little secret, a 1070 in an i7 is in fact not low (or even middling) performance just because it's a few years old. That s***'s still well ahead of most people. The texture problems are the only ones that aren't wide-spread so if you weren't the type to compare before/after FPS and you get above 60 after Iceborne, it's gonna be hard to notice in hindsight. The issues I described for systems that aren't low performance, such as yours aren't something you're gonna feel if you weren't looking for it unless your specific GPU happens to still overheat despite the ram not being maxed out or you suffer from the equally uncommon texture bugs. If, despite not being able to do a before test, you truly are completely unaffected then congratulations, your system beat the odds. Hell, as far as I've heard Linux users are getting better performance than Win10 users.

Regardless, doesn't mean the issues aren't there. I'm not in here saying to avoid getting Iceborne on PC if you've got a solid PC because as usual sheer processing power can muscle out the biggest problems. I'm in here saying the development team porting it to PC is a disaster and somehow managed to make every facet of the game's performance worse than it was prior to the expansion launching which is an incredible feat of incompetence.
I dont doubt that there was some major screwups by the team that worked on the PC port and im not denying that some are having issues. To be fair tho 8gig of ram is just nowhere near enough these days, even a couple of years ago 8gig was bad.

I would never buy a game on PC if I was only hitting the minimum requirements, that really is only saying the game will (may) run on the absolute lowest settings and you would be better off playing on console anyway.
3DS Friend code 4613-7498-1738
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. If you ever thought about switching to PC, dont do it
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Answers