• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. Is playing meta important to you?

User Info: Deaga

Deaga
1 week ago#71
I personally enjoy focusing my sets mostly on damage, foregoing purely defensive skills. However, I also both like to try out different stuff (ie going after elemental phial SAs early in IB's life) and get all the convenience I can take without getting in the way of my damage (ie Whatever/Evasion decos). Unfortunately, set building is pretty much a solved game, so I generally just end up at whatever meta sets people typically post around, maybe with a small downgrade to accommodate me not being a wizard. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ The most I go off-meta generally is running Power Prolonger on raw SAs all the time when playing casually and even when speedrunning sometimes.

That said, I don't really care what other people use. People vastly overrate the effect of damage skills in the game. Not only are their bonuses not that big to begin with (there's no single skill that doubles your damage output), but if you're not playing perfectly, their effect is even more diminished. So if you want to take your Health Boosts, Earplugs and whatnots, by all means, be my guest. I only care that you play decently, that's all. And even then, that's only for the always scaled quests, as otherwise chances are I'm just playing solo anyway, which gives me absolutely zero reasons to care about what people are using.
Shameless self-plug for my MH speedrunning youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/DeASDFga

User Info: Apalachicola

Apalachicola
1 week ago#72
I don’t play the meta, but it is the basis for all my setups. It’s a point of reference for damage, as I slot in whatever comfort or defense skills I choose.

I don’t care much what other people wear, so long as they are reasonably equipped for the fight and don’t cart more than once.
Depression and anxiety are not a lifestyle. You don't have to suffer. Get professional help. I did, and it saved my life.

User Info: Brestia

Brestia
1 week ago#73
if you think meta is about equipment, then you have no idea what meta is, and you are likely not playing meta.

User Info: Hastewoosh

Hastewoosh
1 week ago#74
Apalachicola posted...
I don’t play the meta, but it is the basis for all my setups. It’s a point of reference for damage, as I slot in whatever comfort or defense skills I choose.

I don’t care much what other people wear, so long as they are reasonably equipped for the fight and don’t cart more than once.

Yeah, same here.

Meta equips are the template i use but then i remove some DEEPS so slot in some survivability decos (HB3, Stun Resist, Guard up, etc.)

I'm not good enough to go full DEEPS so slot those in so i dont cart to stupid stuff.

Especially when trying a new weapon. Picked up hammer recently and was getting stunned and roared+carted A LOT due to the "focus on the head" playstyle. Slotting in Earplugs5 and Stun Resist 3 has made using hammer MUCH more enjoyable.
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: MakotoYuri

MakotoYuri
1 week ago#75
In terms of dps having crit boost(or tce) and the adequate skills to get as close as it gets to 100% affinity plus weapon specific stuff is mostly enough.
Running peak performance, resentment and more the 1 agitator is mostly just a bonus if you can fit it in.
is Mayonnaise a Jojo reference too?

User Info: Okamiaku

Okamiaku
1 week ago#76
Brestia posted...
if you think meta is about equipment, then you have no idea what meta is, and you are likely not playing meta.
Hence why keywords are important. "Meta Sets" doesn't come with meta player skill and strategies.
" With Passioned Breath the Darkness Creeps, It is the Whisperer in the Night to Spy upon your Sleep "

User Info: wombat013

wombat013
1 week ago#77
DukeLukewarm posted...
What reason is there to play video games if not to satisfy your ego? Whether through efficiency or coolness. Get your head out of your ass and stop thinking that not being a "metaslave" somehow makes you a better person.

Only people who suck at RL get this mad about gaming. Oh and you suck at gaming if you need the meta too. So... Yeah. Yikes. Lot'a suckin there.

No one cares about your computer specs or what game you're currently playing.
And you're not the official whomever of a game board.

User Info: wombat013

wombat013
1 week ago#78
Okamiaku posted...
Hence why keywords are important. "Meta Sets" doesn't come with meta player skill and strategies.

Lol so hard at both of you.
No one cares about your computer specs or what game you're currently playing.
And you're not the official whomever of a game board.

User Info: Semeki

Semeki
1 week ago#79
It depends on the weapon, w Bow all you need is WE Element Spread/Normal Up Constitution -standard stuff- and your good to go with hitting high number. You can stack CB and CE ofc or HB DB. Evade Window is actually pretty good on Bow, thanks Behemoth.

Now w something like CB that is decoration heavy but less risky because of GP Shield and a melee weapon defense, you should definitely stack the damage decorations. It needs it and defensive options (DB EE etc)aren't necessary unless you dont know how to play well with CB.

People can play whatever they want, it goes both ways. You shouldnt be judging those who prefer or know how to play well as "Meta"
The darkest shadows are cast by the brightest light.
(edited 1 week ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. Is playing meta important to you?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Answers