• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. Is playing meta important to you?

User Info: XImperialDragon

XImperialDragon
1 week ago#51
In every Monster Hunter game I've ever played, I've played using exactly what I want and nothing more. If I want to run around using the Cornpopper and have shouts specifically dedicated for corn-y puns, then damn it all that's what I'm doing.

I participated in white Fatalis runs naked back in the day when I wasn't exactly a good player and that s*** was a blast. Lots of panic dives.

Currently all my sets have the usual suspects for damage skills- Critical Eye 7, Weakness exploit, Critical Boost, and then I have at least one skill that's just because I want it. It's usually Evade Window 4-5 or Health Boost 3. I like rolling through attacks and continuing to deal damage when normally I'd have to disengage.

If I'm dealing damage and not carting, there is basically no reason for anybody to say anything to me about my contributions, so if I want to use a defensive skill or two that's exactly what I'm going to do (especially now that I can basically get one for free). I don't run as much Peak Performance in groups (outside of my sticky sets) but meh, sue me.
Sony bought Konami and will release a DDR game for the Nintendo 3DS. In this game, you set your 3DS on the floor and stomp on it till it no longer functions.

User Info: Archwing3441

Archwing3441
1 week ago#52
XImperialDragon posted...
If I want to run around using the Cornpopper and have shouts specifically dedicated for corn-y puns, then damn it all that's what I'm doing.

That reminds me a few years back for mh gen, I had one friend marathoning all of gundam and I joined him for gundam 00 and because of that, I named my character Mr. Bushido and only used katana shaped long swords.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KztZmZDNCVg

User Info: SepulturaGamer

SepulturaGamer
1 week ago#53
I make it a point to not use meta in most games and I never have any issues. It’s mostly for extreme speedruns anyway.
Did Dr. Kleiner just tell us to get busy? - Alyx Vance

User Info: ibekresna

ibekresna
1 week ago#54
I usually run a modified meta set with health boost 3 ,which is mandatory for me. Also quick sheath 3 when i'm using ls for funsies. Yeah i like having an iai sheath that is 9 frames faster =\

User Info: CaoSlayer

CaoSlayer
1 week ago#55
XImperialDragon posted...
In every Monster Hunter game I've ever played, I've played using exactly what I want and nothing more. If I want to run around using the Cornpopper and have shouts specifically dedicated for corn-y puns, then damn it all that's what I'm doing.

I participated in white Fatalis runs naked back in the day when I wasn't exactly a good player and that s*** was a blast. Lots of panic dives.

Ey, Cornpopper was the meta against White Fatalis.

The undesirable eternal dragon weakpoint was a joke weapon, what a corny thing.
youtube.com/caoslayer
All Gunlance Videos. Builds, Walkthrough, Naked Runs, and explosions, lots of explosions.

User Info: Okamiaku

Okamiaku
1 week ago#56
SepulturaGamer posted...
I make it a point to not use meta in most games and I never have any issues. It’s mostly for extreme speedruns anyway.
I like to deconstruct the meta down to the maximum minimum you have to use it while fitting in what other quality of life features you want.

" With Passioned Breath the Darkness Creeps, It is the Whisperer in the Night to Spy upon your Sleep "

User Info: Rhiethreal

Rhiethreal
1 week ago#57
SepulturaGamer posted...
The speed runner meta isn't the only meta. For example, the speed runner meta with Safi weapons seems to be having 10 hits of purple sharpness, but I would never recommend that to a regular player.

The gain from using purple is minimal. If you loose that purple you are far worse off than if you just stayed at white. Speed runners don't mind resetting a million times to get that perfect performance, but a typical player wants to clear every hunt. Therefore, sharpness awakenings are meta on speed running sets, while attack awakenings are the general meta.

People also need to realize the meta choice can vary depending on your weapon type and/or the monster that you are fighting at the time.
http://rhiethreal.deviantart.com/

User Info: Karnage4208238

Karnage4208238
1 week ago#58
if my mix set and the way i have it built is anything to go by nope i prefer a more defensively setup as opposed to an offensive one my immortal setup plays into my reckless play style better sure it takes longer for me to kill stuff but is near impossible for me to cart with my setup

plus i am still learning the SA new moves since i just started iceborne since it just released on pc and all i did before was beat the main story so i was not around for any of the updates
Cletus Kasady/Carnage Is The Greatest Villain Of All Time
S'up Im Karnage The Ultimate Cheater I Love to Cheat If You Don't Like It It's Your Problem Not Mine

User Info: Nazanir

Nazanir
1 week ago#59
I really don't play meta. Why restrict yourself? And most "meta" builds are for tryhards/speedrunners (not using that as an insult btw). I like messing around with different setups, see what's worthwhile. So what if I take a little longer to kill a monster. In the end of the day, if I am standing and the monster is down and I had fun... who the hell cares?

The problem with meta builds is that they sacrifice survivability for a little added damage, so you can down the monster faster. s*** doesn't matter if you get carted three times. I just try to get a set that lets me play comfortably, that doesn't make me make too many concessions for the skills that are most importantly to me.

Simple example: Hardly any, if any, "meta" set has 3 healthboost. I never leave home without it.
XboX GT/Steam/Wii-U - Nazanir

User Info: Black_Assassin

Black_Assassin
1 week ago#60
Health boost 3 is the meta defensive skill.

So anyone who claims they're not using meta, they're intentionally using worse defensive skills, like defense boost.
Want to cure diseases with your spare computing power?
http://folding.stanford.edu/
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. Is playing meta important to you?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Answers