• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. Lance's damage is Trash?

User Info: Rhiethreal

Rhiethreal
1 week ago#161
SlajifrasH045 posted...
nothing wrong with using a lance for shara
Shara's beam is rough for the lance if you play legit.
http://rhiethreal.deviantart.com/

User Info: MakotoYuri

MakotoYuri
1 week ago#162
SlajifrasH045 posted...
nothing wrong with using a lance for shara
Exactly, he ain't even a hard counter just a slight annoyance due to beam spam sometimes.
Even Lunastra ain't to bad since you can block the wind with the shield, for the nova that means you can easily farcaster out.
Still included them since they are slightly annoying which again shows that there ain't really any big hurdles for Lance except s. Jho
is Mayonnaise a Jojo reference too?
Rhiethreal posted...
Shara’s beam is literally nothing if you angle yourself to it.

The wingfinger beams you don’t even need to face... the big one you just need to turn slightly. 45 degrees recommended in general, but you can go all the way to 89 degrees. One knockback will bump you out of the beam, and you’ll be fine.

Whether lance is strong for shara or not has absolutely nothing to do with the beam.
Support for optimism: Nearly everyone I meet is some poor sod who doesn't realize what they've got, and I'm the worst offender.
We all learn when we lose it.

User Info: Sirk

Sirk
1 week ago#164
Rhiethreal posted...
You said abilities, not DPS.
The title of the topic is "Lance's damage is Trash?"

MakotoYuri posted...
But that doesn't take everything into account, like bad match ups
Nobody is (or nobody should be) judging the DPS capabilities of Lance based on one speedrun. The conclusion that Lance has the lowest upper limit of DPS output is based on speedruns across the board.

I'm not especially sympathetic to speedruns, speedrun culture, or the negativity among many speedrunners about MHW/I. But I don't know of any better metric to judge the upper limit of DPS.

If you want to determine the upper limit of a sprinter's sprinting speed, you make a competition and judge how fast he is moving when he has an incentive to move as fast as possible.

If you want to determine the upper limit of a javelin-thrower's distance, you make a competition and judge how far he can throw the javelin when he has an incentive to throw it as far as possible.

Rhiethreal is doing his best acrobatics to avoid acknowledging this, apparently now trying to claim that damage isn't the draw for Lance, but rather its non-DPS abilities. But nobody is debating that Lance has utility outside of doing damage. It's a fine weapon, and fun to use for many players. We're literally just saying Lance does not have as high of damage output as other weapon classes. Which anyone could be forgiven for thinking this topic is about, based on the title.
It takes both rain and shine to make a rainbow.

Rhiethreal
1 week ago#165
Sirk posted...
Rhiethreal is doing his best acrobatics to avoid acknowledging this, apparently now trying to claim that damage isn't the draw for Lance, but rather its non-DPS abilities. But nobody is debating that Lance has utility outside of doing damage. It's a fine weapon, and fun to use for many players. We're literally just saying Lance does not have as high of damage output as other weapon classes. Which anyone could be forgiven for thinking this topic is about, based on the title.
No, I am saying that there is more than one type of foot race. Sprinting isn't the only option.

It would be like if I said someone was a good runner, and a bunch of fragile ego sprinters came in and started claiming that sprinting was the only way to tell who was a good runner, while pretending marathons, cross country, or when things like hurdles existed.

User Info: MakotoYuri

MakotoYuri
1 week ago#166
@Sirk well rhie not making good argument and discussing things to death ain't surprising and a counterproductive title ain't either.

I'm well aware of the innate lower dmg the Lance has, though I don't think peed runs are the best metric to judge this upon.
Your javelin thrower example is a good indicator, does the Olympic gold winner throw the farthest? Yes. Does that make a Neanderthal who know where to throw a javelin into an elks vital parts a less good thrower? Not really.
To put things into perspective, I've been using draw GS for awhile now and it can be super awesome and awarding, a softened sweet spot s. Bazel tail I hit for almost 450 on a normal swing, a speed runner would always hit for the best amount.or atleast only upload the run where he did but that's a different issue, however if you play casually you gonna miss or hit other parts cause you are to slow or the monster to fast.

All in all I didn't notice a big difference in clear time.
is Mayonnaise a Jojo reference too?

User Info: SlajifrasH045

SlajifrasH045
1 week ago#167
Rhiethreal posted...

don't recall the beam being much of a problem after I learned the fight

and lance is a fantastic weapon for soloing the head and breaking it twice. it was always super easy to do that
Official God King of the PS4 Boards.
350 Pound Bench Press on YT-Darcnesstrophies
(edited 1 week ago)

Rhiethreal
1 week ago#168
SlajifrasH045 posted...
don't recall the beam being much of a problem after I learned the fight

and lance is a fantastic weapon for soloing the head and breaking it twice. it was always super easy to do that
Yes, people learned to mitigate the beam to a degree, but it is still a real danger. Blocking it straight on is literally worse than just being hit by it.

User Info: Sirk

Sirk
1 week ago#169
MakotoYuri posted...
I'm well aware of the innate lower dmg the Lance has,
This is all I'm trying to get across to him.

A small number of players think that playing a low-damage class is wrong and reflects badly on the player. Very small.

Everybody else just thinks it's a low-damage class. That doesn't mean Lancers are lazy or bad or leeches or dead weight or whichever other invectives are commonly hurled by MH players at other MH players.

If Rhiethreal would just accept that Lance puts out low damage and that nobody who matters thinks worse of Lance or Lancers, we could all move on and readers wouldn't be misled into thinking there is some shadowy and undefined quality in Lance that secretly makes it as powerful as other class.
It takes both rain and shine to make a rainbow.

User Info: Unbound-King

Unbound-King
1 week ago#170
Sirk posted...
dead weight
Everyone wearing the full Dante layered set, basically.
GT: Sho Minamimotto PSN: Azure_Reaper8 3Ds FC: 0662-2616-5710
I'm just a Scrublord. I prefer casual games.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. Lance's damage is Trash?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Answers