• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. Beginner here, which should I start with as a main weapon?

User Info: Rhiethreal

Rhiethreal
2 weeks ago#31
Anacrusys posted...
i took these notes on Switch Axe
Best amp building combo is draw attack, O,O→hop cancel, and maybe another O.
http://rhiethreal.deviantart.com/

User Info: Anacrusys

Anacrusys
2 weeks ago#32
I forgot to mention wherever you see R1 in my notes it’s R2 for others. I have those switched in settings.
(edited 2 weeks ago)

User Info: Fairycancel

Fairycancel
2 weeks ago#33
Lance actually doesn't have as low a damage as you expect. People focus too much on speedruns where a weapon os squeezed to its fullest so its weaknesses doesn't show on video. The lance is one of the best at keeping up their attacks, no other weapon have such an easy time keeping up their aggression as it have so much movement and the counters lets you defend while attacking and it even have a move that you can defend while moving. Its MUCH easier to maximize damage as lance than most other weps because of this and it got many tools to easy you into the game. It's also one of the best of options for full safi armor at endgame because of this which is one of the strongest set ups in the game but its very risky. As long as you have a flinch free skill it can keep up with monsters in multiplayer better than most weps. Don't put too much thought to what people say and just try it stuff, you may just like something you never considered.
MHGen Ign: Soleil, Mordecai
Like to often use: Bow(Drilltusk/Teo Adept), DB(FMDX=Aerial), LS(Guild/Striker), GS(Aerial from time to time)
(edited 2 weeks ago)

User Info: Fairycancel

Fairycancel
2 weeks ago#34
@Silver_Shadow_X
MHGen Ign: Soleil, Mordecai
Like to often use: Bow(Drilltusk/Teo Adept), DB(FMDX=Aerial), LS(Guild/Striker), GS(Aerial from time to time)
(message deleted)

User Info: Raile

Raile
1 week ago#36
Charge Blade.

User Info: Man_the_kraut

Man_the_kraut
1 week ago#37
Not an option on poll but funlance

User Info: Deaga

Deaga
1 week ago#38
I think all of the listed options are bad if you're a beginner in the series. They're all fairly complex weapons and you'll have to struggle with learning monster patterns, learning the game in general AND learning a complicated weapon all at the same time. That said, World added a lot of complexity to all weapons, so I'm not even sure what would qualify as a simple weapon at this point. Hammer or Dual Blades, maybe? I dunno. Even SnS is pretty complex now with Perfect Rush and Shield Bashes being fairly hard to aim.

Out of the listed options, Switch Axe is probably the simplest one, so I'd recommend that. A good rule of thumb is to use the Axe mode for mobility and the Sword mode for power. There's more nuance to it, but you can worry about that once you're more familiar with the game. A close second option, out of those, that I'd recommend is Long Sword. It's a bit more complex, but once you get the hang of the Foresight Slash it's a very strong defensive option, so that's nice.
Shameless self-plug for my MH speedrunning youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/DeASDFga

User Info: Uru_Zeph

Uru_Zeph
1 week ago#39
Deaga posted...
I think all of the listed options are bad if you're a beginner in the series. They're all fairly complex weapons and you'll have to struggle with learning monster patterns, learning the game in general AND learning a complicated weapon all at the same time. That said, World added a lot of complexity to all weapons, so I'm not even sure what would qualify as a simple weapon at this point. Hammer or Dual Blades, maybe? I dunno. Even SnS is pretty complex now with Perfect Rush and Shield Bashes being fairly hard to aim.

Out of the listed options, Switch Axe is probably the simplest one, so I'd recommend that. A good rule of thumb is to use the Axe mode for mobility and the Sword mode for power. There's more nuance to it, but you can worry about that once you're more familiar with the game. A close second option, out of those, that I'd recommend is Long Sword. It's a bit more complex, but once you get the hang of the Foresight Slash it's a very strong defensive option, so that's nice.
You're making the mistake of assuming that a new player needs to learn, know about, and master every mechanic of the first weapon that they pick up immediately. Every weapon *does* have basics to learn and understand, and learning the advanced techniques with the weapon doesn't need to come until later. Great Jagras, Jyuratodus, and the rest of the monsters in the beginning of the game don't require knowledge of Foresight Slash or any of the other weapons' more advanced techniques to take down. There's a reason for that.

It's like advising to someone that there isn't a single fighter in a fighting game that is beginner friendly because all of them have advanced concepts and mechanics that need to be learned eventually. Typically you just point them in the direction of a character that combos easily with most of their attacks being able to be strung together, has decent range, and isn't so slow that they struggle to hit anything or aren't having fun because they haven't learned how to properly position in the game yet. Ultimately, though, the only thing that makes for a "good" starting weapon for anyone is whatever weapon is most fun to them, because having fun with their weapon is what will keep them playing and improving.

This is why I kept recommending to TC not to watch videos until he feels that he has learned all that he can about a weapon from playing it on his own. Got to crawl before you can walk, and walk before you can run.
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: Deaga

Deaga
1 week ago#40
While that is true, some of the options proposed by CB, such as Charge Blade, are borderline unplayable if you don't deal with all the complex mechanics. I guess you are correct that they can stumble their way around with LS without knowing all about Foresight Slashes and the likes, though.
Shameless self-plug for my MH speedrunning youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/DeASDFga
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. Beginner here, which should I start with as a main weapon?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Answers