• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. Beginner here, which should I start with as a main weapon?

User Info: Uru_Zeph

Uru_Zeph
2 weeks ago#21
LS is the weapon that I started with in my first Monster Hunter game, and it served me well as a beginner weapon, so I'll say LS but with one caveat: you really should try to learn all of the weapons eventually, even the ones on your list of weapons that you don't want to use. You're severely limiting yourself and cutting a lot of content for yourself if you only "main" a single weapon. You also limit your understanding of the game when you do this--every weapon has something new to teach that will help you become a better player overall. Never branching out from your "main" gives you tunnel vision as a player and often causes you to misplay that weapon or play selfishly. LS is a great weapon, but a ton of people hate it because it is one of the weapons that trips allies the most and the easiest. The way that a lot of people play the LS, it has earned this hate. You can tell the people that only ever play LS because they act like it's *other* people's problem if they're tripping rather than acknowledging that they need to get better at their positioning and be selfless enough to allow other, better-suited weapons to attack various parts of the monster.

It is good to focus on one weapon though when you start though and try to master it before moving on, because you do want to have at least *one* weapon that you feel fully comfortable with before branching out. Really, there's no wrong choice, as long as you feel comfortable with and enjoy what you're using, so if you go with LS and find yourself not enjoying it as much as you thought then go ahead and try something else out.

Also, it's great that you're doing research for this game, but I would recommend NOT looking too much up until you just try figuring things out for yourself and get to a point that you feel like you've learned everything you can about the weapon without looking up a guide. Even trying to watch a single weapon tutorial video can feel overwhelming, and it's much more digestible once you have some understanding of the weapon already under your belt and are only watching to learn the things that you didn't figure out on your own already (which will honestly still be a lot).
(edited 2 weeks ago)

User Info: tokerblue

tokerblue
2 weeks ago#22
HBG can be very resource heavy and deco heavy.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
- Robert A. Heinlein

User Info: Gabe1

Gabe1
2 weeks ago#23
I sooooo wanted to vote for HH , lol
Rise up this mornin Smiled with the risin sun 3 little birds
Pitch by my doorstep Singin sweet songs Of melodies pure and true Sayin it is my message 2 you ou u

User Info: Silver Shadow X

Silver Shadow X
2 weeks ago#24
Hmm. I did expect LS to be the popular choice, although I did not expect HBG to get practically no votes. The arguments against CB and HBG make sense though, particularly the ammo management I'd have to deal with.

I do see very good arguments in favor Switch Axe here, so what I'll do is make Defender II weapons for Switch Axe, then Long Sword, check out guides, and try them both in that order. If I'm not satisfied after some play with those, CB may get a shot, and I'll probably give lance another try since I already have its Defender II. Used it in an expedition and had my targets escape the map limping, and then I found out lance doesn't do a lot of damage. Seems like this weapon would make progression through the game easy if I get the basics of the weapon down though.

If all else fails, I'll try out dual blades, since they apparently make the game into typical hack and slash. At least they look good while doing it, but I did want to avoid picking them specifically because they seem so far removed from the way most of the weapons play. And I don't want to be resharpening every 6 seconds lol.

Thanks for the votes/opinions/advice, especially some of these more detailed explanations. If one of these weapons is enough to get me into the game, I'll try out every weapon I have much interest in later on. Right now I just want to get semi competent with at least one weapon though, and decide that I like using it.

KingofDungPie posted...
you’re actually wrong about SnS damage though. The buffs to perfect rush has it doing more dps than LS, SA, and CB.

That's...extremely unexpected? I thought the whole point of SnS was to be able to use items more easily and have some defense while remaining mobile, sacrificing damage for those conveniences. I guess I may revisit that one at some point then, although it does still have the small flaw of not being as interesting as I would like lol. Most of the weapons have some factor that I find satisfying to watch, but I'm seeing none of that from SnS. Feel like I'd rather go DB if I want to hit and move faster.

Still, If I get into the game I'll probably use it if it's exactly what I need and happens to work best for me.

Gabe1 posted...
I sooooo wanted to vote for HH , lol

I am actually very interested in HH, but everything I've read suggests that it's not something I want to start out with for solo play. Going to have a hard enough time doing damage while lacking experience without using a weapon that is typically putting out far less than most weapons.
"Not to him who is offensive to us are we most unfair, but to him who doth not concern us at all." - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

User Info: Mhari

Mhari
2 weeks ago#25
Silver Shadow X posted...
That's...extremely unexpected? I thought the whole point of SnS was to be able to use items more easily and have some defense while remaining mobile, sacrificing damage for those conveniences. I guess I may revisit that one at some point then, although it does still have the small flaw of not being as interesting as I would like lol. Most of the weapons have some factor that I find satisfying to watch, but I'm seeing none of that from SnS. Feel like I'd rather go DB if I want to hit and move faster.

Perfect Rush is extremely satisfying to watch, especially with the big number it is doing right now.

User Info: Rhiethreal

Rhiethreal
2 weeks ago#26
Hmm. I did expect LS to be the popular choice, although I did not expect HBG to get practically no votes.
HBG sucks at the start. It is very decoration dependent. The ones worth using come from endgame, and the ammo is expensive to manage before you are established.

I thought the whole point of SnS was to be able to use items more easily and have some defense while remaining mobile, sacrificing damage for those conveniences.
SnS sucked, and I hated it, but it got huge buffs recently.

https://youtu.be/6pp6l72-QjY
http://rhiethreal.deviantart.com/

User Info: Uru_Zeph

Uru_Zeph
2 weeks ago#27
Hmm. I did expect LS to be the popular choice, although I did not expect HBG to get practically no votes. The arguments against CB and HBG make sense though, particularly the ammo management I'd have to deal with.

I do see very good arguments in favor Switch Axe here, so what I'll do is make Defender II weapons for Switch Axe, then Long Sword, check out guides, and try them both in that order. If I'm not satisfied after some play with those, CB may get a shot, and I'll probably give lance another try since I already have its Defender II. Used it in an expedition and had my targets escape the map limping, and then I found out lance doesn't do a lot of damage. Seems like this weapon would make progression through the game easy if I get the basics of the weapon down though.

If all else fails, I'll try out dual blades, since they apparently make the game into typical hack and slash. At least they look good while doing it, but I did want to avoid picking them specifically because they seem so far removed from the way most of the weapons play. And I don't want to be resharpening every 6 seconds lol.

Thanks for the votes/opinions/advice, especially some of these more detailed explanations. If one of these weapons is enough to get me into the game, I'll try out every weapon I have much interest in later on. Right now I just want to get semi competent with at least one weapon though, and decide that I like using it.

Still, If I get into the game I'll probably use it if it's exactly what I need and happens to work best for me.

I am actually very interested in HH, but everything I've read suggests that it's not something I want to start out with for solo play. Going to have a hard enough time doing damage while lacking experience without using a weapon that is typically putting out far less than most weapons.
Again, I'd highly recommend just using a weapon that you feel most comfortable with first, then checking out videos once you've learned about as much about it as you feel like you can on your own. There is so much information and mechanics to learn for each weapon that watching a guide before you have even messed around with it yourself will just overwhelm you with information. You'll remember what you watch more easily, and have a better idea of what you should practice, if you at least are somewhat familiar with the weapon already before watching.

Also, while there are kind of "roles" in Monster Hunter... there also really aren't. It's not like an MMO where you have defined tanks, supports, dps, etc. Sure, some weapons seem to fit these archtypes, such as anything with a shield seeming like it could maybe be a tank or the HH being support-oriented, but in actuality the game has been designed around being able to be solo'd and beaten with each and every weapon. This means that every weapon is functionally a dps weapon and has various defensive options at their disposal to survive. The difference, is, then in the flavor of its mechanics. Certain weapons "dps" with massive, slow hits (GS), while others DPS with many rapid, weak hits (Dual Blades). Hunting Horn buffs itself in addition to other weapons, so a HH player familiar enough with the weapon is also going to be able to put out competitive damage via buffing themselves to another un-buffed weapon. If a weapon seems to be "weak" or to not be putting out good damage--like you said you felt you didn't do much damage with the Lance--it's most likely because you aren't using it right, not because it isn't capable of doing good damage.
The more defined "roles" that exist when playing with others typically depend more on the hunter's decorations and armor than the weapons themselves. You can play hunting horn pure dps and do just fine, but most people use the HH as support because that's the most fun playstyle for it (and because that's what people expect for it). That being said, you still need to augment your weapon to the role through the use of your armor and decos. If you don't have the right armor setup, you won't do a very good job supporting, because the "support" role has more to do than just buffing with your weapon. And in solo play the support role means literally nothing, so a "solo" hunting horn is really just going to be dps by default just like nearly every other weapon. Similarly, "tank" roles became more important when Behemoth was released due to specific mechanics of the monster, and obviously certain weapons are better suited for stepping into that role. But unless your armor-up for a specific role and plan to play in a group, don't think along these lines, just think of every weapon being a damage role.

The only time a person starts to notice a meaningful difference in dps is literally at the very highest skill level of play. Obviously perfect balance doesn't exist, so yeah, at the highest level of play certain weapons are capable of outperforming others in terms of damage. However, when you're starting out you shouldn't concern yourself with that, because ultimately you're going to do the most damage with the weapon that you feel the most comfortable with and use the best. For instance, GS is frequently a weapon that at high skill levels can output some of the most DPS of all the weapons, but that doesn't matter if you can't hit s*** with it.
(edited 2 weeks ago)

User Info: Anacrusys

Anacrusys
2 weeks ago#28
Here are my Switch Axe notes from early 2018. None of the new moves included but this might help.

Switch Axe. Always do double slash (O) before elemental discharge (O + triangle)
You become amped and get a buff to sword attack’s when gauge border is full
Use quick refill skill in axe mode when drops below marker on gauge
After elemental discharge (triangle + O), if in amped state hit triangle repeatedly to latch on monster, great if monster is about to leave. If you don’t spam triangle after discharge it explodes. You can get hit while latched to monster

Combo 1. From sheathed, Sword mode. R1, O, elemental discharge (triangle + O), triangle (finisher). To get to AMPED state fast (filled border) from zero, puts you in axe mode

Spam O, triangle, O, triangle to get back gauge
L + triangle, O, R1 (morph). R1, (puts you back in sword mode) O, triangle, O, triangle

Combo 2. Amped state sword mode. O, triangle, O, triangle, repeat. Better if monster moves a lot

Combo 3. Amped state Sword mode. Triangle x3 then O, keep repeating. Highest dps Need 80% Gauge to get in 3 combos

Try triangle x2 then O on fast monsters

Amped state sword mode is best dps, Priority is get to this.
Axe mode gives more mobility, can roll after each attack, sword makes you hop.
Axe wild swing (O) trips people in multiplayer.
focus target in settings to lock on

AXE MODE

L back + O after any attack = fade slash

T, T, T (overhead) to hit tails and wings

T + O (rising slash), T. Good infinite combo for hitting tails and wings.

Forward slash. L or O + T. Or X + O or T. For mobility and good opener

L back + O. = fade slash To reposition

Evade left or right hit X in axe or sword mode

Morph to sword mode, make sure you are above white line on meter! Or you will manually reload, which kills dps!

Best morph to sword combo is T, O (wild swing). R1

Morphing to ax mode gets you 16% meter instantly.
L back + R1 morphs you to ax and moves you backwards like fade slash
L up + R1 morphs and dodges forward good distance

Morph during combos it’s much faster. Don’t morph while standing still.
Can morph to ax after T, O, or X

Axe Wild swing O spam into morph R1 is the highest single dmg attack. Use to wake up monster

SWORD MODE

Gauge combo. T, O, O (heavens fury) builds gauge fastest! But slow and low dmg , standard combo to build Gauge

Dmg combo T,T,T, O. Skips heavens fury

Elemental discharge T or O, O, T +O. Stop spamming triangle at the end to end it earlier with no explosion, which reduces gauge.
Also, can hit Lback + T to end explosion early.
Use while mounted !

In amped state with sword glowing, hitting triangle at the end latches you to monster. This is great after a few combos to finish your gauge when monster is down and getting up.

Amped state sword mode. O, triangle, O, triangle, repeat. Best if monster moves a lot

Amped state Sword mode. Triangle x3 then O, keep repeating. Highest dps Need 80% Gauge to get in 3 combos

Try triangle x2 then O on fast monsters

Sliding. Hit triangle for ax mode jump. Hit R1 for sword mode jump
Same with walls and jumping off ledges.
(edited 2 weeks ago)

User Info: Anacrusys

Anacrusys
2 weeks ago#29
Here are my long sword notes. The first section is recent. The section marked OLD is from early 2018 (no new moves).

Long sword - first weaken with CC

Can fade slash (T + O) any direction if used after an attack.

Combo 1 to build gauge. Triangle x 2, R1 + X (sheathe), T, R1 x 4 (spirit roundslash)
Reposition mid comb to make sure you land spirit roundslash (last R1). This move is bounce proof so less likely to break combo.

Combo 1 (Old) is faster and best for positioning but weaker, still use sometimes
Triangle x 2, triangle + O (fade slash), R1 spam.

Combo 2. After first roundslash, iai slash, fade slash, R1 spam again.

Always use IAI slash (R1 + X) after spirit roundslash

Helm breaker with Red gauge only -can change facing with left joy on way down. Best when monster is stunned or knocked out don’t wanna miss! Probsbly best to just use spirit slashes and iai slashes until great opportunity for helm.

Combo 3. Iai slash, triangle + R1, triangle (helm breaker)

Helm , sheathe, spirit combo, sheathe, helm

Mix in foresight slashes to dodge attacks

OLD

combo 1, triangle to rising slash usually builds spirit gauge to 75%
Variant is faster, triangle X2, fade slash to hit 75%

At 75%, R1 spam to spirit roundslash (must land to raise gauge level 2 - turns white)
If you you have 75% full spirit gauge skip combo 1

Combo 2, triangle, fade slash (triangle + O), foresight (r1 + O).
Variant, triangle or O, foresight (R1 + O). This is faster use it.

Can only do foresight slash after another attack
Gives invincibility, if you master this move you will max dmg, but it’s hard to pull off.

Combo 3, need level 3 spirit gauge - red border before spirit helm breaker.

triangle, (R1 + triangle) spirit thrust (must land!), triangle - spirit helm breaker!

Spirit helm breaker fills spirit gauge but reduces it back to level 2 (white border)
spam R1 to get back to level 3 (red border)

then combo 3 again, triangle, (R1 + triangle) spirit thrust must land!, triangle - spirit helm breaker!
Helm breaker does more than any combo, get as many as possible

Sliding attack hit R1, fills spirit gauge. Gets you spirit roundslash immediately
(edited 2 weeks ago)

User Info: Sirk

Sirk
2 weeks ago#30
Switch Axe or Long Sword would be best, but I voted Long Sword. Yes, it is a technical weapon --- but it can be used without getting technical. It has such broad swings, and such an easy ability to change direction, that it's a bit easier than Switch Axe.
It takes both rain and shine to make a rainbow.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. Beginner here, which should I start with as a main weapon?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Answers