• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. Beginner here, which should I start with as a main weapon?

User Info: Silver Shadow X

Silver Shadow X
2 weeks ago#1
Fairly conflicted

tl;dr - I've narrowed down my immediate interests to these 4 weapons. They seem fun, they're all pretty strong. I intend to learn the ins and outs, and would like opinions on which of these might be best. Maybe these are all a bad choice starting out, even if I do intend to use full guides to learn the weapons?

---

I've spent a while now considering what I want to go with here. Not like constantly - I'm playing other games, and every now and then I check a tier list or youtube vid or something. I have been using explanations found in this list on the site below for reference. Is this a mistake? If so, where should I look for trustworthy explanations of weapon pros and cons?

https://www.gamersdecide.com/articles/monster-hunter-world-tier-list-mhw-best-weapons

I haven't played a whole lot, just got run through some expeditions by a friend to get me some resources. After looking at all the weapons, I decided I definitely do not want to play the following:

1. Great Sword - Too slow and one dimensional, although it's a weapon of choice for the most experienced players for its damage output when you know precisely what you're doing, apparently.
  2. Sword and Shield - not much damage, not very interesting.

I actually had 6 weapons on that Do Not Want List, but couldn't totally justify them all. But basically I still find those other weapons interesting enough to be worth considering (and they have been considered to an extent already), but for now I'm narrowed down to the 4 in the poll. I'm trying to avoid things like over reliance on weak points, rapid sharpness depletion, lack of damage, etc. Feel free to convince me otherwise of course. It's clear that I'm not going to find a perfect choice by now.

Anyway, this isn't a "choose my weapon for me" thread. Just want experienced thoughts and to see if any one weapon gets overwhelmingly more votes for some reason. I'm about to watch a number of guide vids now for the poll options, but they're pretty long (~30 minutes each for a couple charge blade guides) and I won't be up much longer. Doing this because I find this game's combat to be not so straightforward, so I want to pick a weapon that I like that is also reasonably effective, and then practice with it extensively.

This running around missing monsters, having almost no idea what button combinations do is too annoying to just keep smashing my head against the wall I think. I'll probably try them all out, but I'm going to be making a Defender II weapon whichever I pick, and that costs limited cash and resources I don't want to blow on weapons I won't use right now, since I have other things that need upgrading lol.

on an unrelated note, I've noticed damn near every single character I've seen when watching youtube vids for this game is female. Like literally the only male I've seen is the friend that did some runs for me. Coincidence, or is that just an extremely popular thing to do in this game?
"Not to him who is offensive to us are we most unfair, but to him who doth not concern us at all." - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
(edited 2 weeks ago)

User Info: KingofDungPie

KingofDungPie
2 weeks ago#2
I would recommend LS for beginner as it’s very easy to use and doesn’t require a lot of good decos to get going.

you’re actually wrong about SnS damage though. The buffs to perfect rush has it doing more dps than LS, SA, and CB.
"chainstabbing me to death about ten times, laughing and talking s*** the whole time as if anybody should be impressed by his capacity to press R1."

User Info: DeadBankerDream

DeadBankerDream
2 weeks ago#3
KingofDungPie posted...
I would recommend LS for beginner as it’s very easy to use and doesn’t require a lot of good decos to get going.

And it gives you the "Makes you feel like Sephiroth" passive bonus.
"That thick shaft that causes women to shudder!"

User Info: Free_san

Free_san
2 weeks ago#4
LS hands down to start off. It's one of few weapons that are "fully functional" from the start (its playstyle wont change heavily from early to late/endgame) while being straightforward to learn. It has a bit of something for almost any situation.

I'd recommend picking up a ranged weapon sometime down the line. Perhaps LBG to start, since that too has less of an endgame playstyle change than the other 2 ranged weapons. And from what i recall, the defender line of weapons is a really solid normal2 firer.

The tier list has many issues. Unless they give actual reasoning, take those lightly. HBG in particular sucks without a late/endgame setup.

And, female character because why stare at a male character for a game you're going to put hundreds or thousands of hours into?

User Info: DrakeRathalos

DrakeRathalos
2 weeks ago#5
I wouldn't say "I recommend you to use x". Might be bad of an answer, but it really comes to what weapon you're comfortable with the most.

User Info: ronaldjenkees

ronaldjenkees
2 weeks ago#6
I would say charge blade is better because you have a shield. Long sword requires a decent level of skill to counter monster attacks and avoid damage.

User Info: Unbound-King

Unbound-King
2 weeks ago#7
I liek Dual Blades.
GT: Sho Minamimotto PSN: Azure_Reaper8 3Ds FC: 0662-2616-5710
I'm just a Scrublord. I prefer casual games.

User Info: Fairycancel

Fairycancel
2 weeks ago#8
SA needs evade extender and evasion window is a very nice quality of life skill for it but its probably the most simple out of those. LS is versatile and you can pick it up and play but it got many things you need to keep in mind in order to do good damage. CB is one of the hardest weps to learn to use well and you wont do much with bowguns until you get the skills you need for it(they also need a lot of resource management, specially early game).

So yeah, Out of those I would recommend SA
MHGen Ign: Soleil, Mordecai
Like to often use: Bow(Drilltusk/Teo Adept), DB(FMDX=Aerial), LS(Guild/Striker), GS(Aerial from time to time)

Fairycancel
2 weeks ago#9
By the way, GS aint slow and SnS aint weak. You just need to learn what you can do with the wep. Arguably, SnS is one of the best at weakening mons now.
Like to often use: Bow(Drilltusk/Teo Adept), DB(FMDX=Aerial), LS(Guild/Striker), GS(Aerial from time to time)

Fairycancel
2 weeks ago#10
If you want to use range then try bow instead. Not as heavily dependant on resources or skills as guns

SnS, SA, Lance and Ham are probably your best bet for a begginer wep. Lance is one of the most mobile weps when you know how to use it and it got the best defense in the game along with some utility like mounting anywhere while playing normaly. Its a great option for a beginner too. Feel free to ask any questions if you don't see why a wep is recommended

Watch video tutorials for each wep for og world and iceborne to get an idea of how they should be used
(edited 2 weeks ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. Beginner here, which should I start with as a main weapon?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Answers