• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. Yeah... those Defender weapons...
Unbound-King 2 years ago#11
Akagami_Shanks posted...
tbh it's not like you'll speed run monsters with these weapons and ignore their mechanics. Idk why everyone is so convinced that having a rarity 5 weapon at the beginning of HR for a new player is so gamebreaking
I think the main thing issue is the idea that new folks won't spend as much time fighting each monster or even paying attention to the systems and mechanics available in the game and this'll lead to a snowballing effect of sorts down the line.

Also, the rarity is deceiving. Like...Let's look at the LS.
The Defender Katana I has a huge ass chunk of Green and 130 True Raw at Rarity 1 available for 1 Iron Ore.
It has the same amount of damage as the Rarity 4 Iron Grace II which has a small chunk of Green and typically can't be made until around Coral Highlands.

Next Defender Katana II has almost twice as much Green sharpness as DKI and has 170 TR at Rarity 3 and can be yours as soon as Anja goes down for the main campaign.
This places it right between Iron Gospel I and II, weapons that require mats from Elder's Recess and have Blue Sharpness.

Then you can get a Commendation from LR Kirin or the final Zorah quest to get DKIII with a nice chunk of Blue and 190 TR. It now stands above Iron Gospel II and is about 20 TR lower than Reaver Cruelty, the first Deviljho LS. This is the f***in' thing you're starting HR with.

Throw a Pink Rathian Scale+ in to get DKIV, an R6 weapon which is at equivalent TR to Reaver Cruelty and Divine Slasher in terms of TR, sitting at 210. Also it has a lot of Blue and no negative Affinity like Cruelty.

And finally 1 Nerg Scale will give us DKV, sitting at 220 TR, just 10 short of the f***in' Reaver Clamity and a fair bit higher than the Divine Slasher, which were both top LS competitors even after Taroth Sword Fire came in.
Actually, I think DKV beats out TSF. The latter has 10 TR less than DS but a f***ton of white, eliminating the need to work Handicraft in which was a huge shortcoming on DS and RC, allowing TSF to edge them out both in terms of peak damage potential in a number of cases and for general comfy builds.

DKV starts with what looks to be a solid 30~40ish hits of Innate White, 210 TR, and 300 Blast.

With the broken ass weapons out of the way, we also have the Guardian/Defender set.
The Guardian set can be selected as one of the starting armors alongside the Leather, Chainmail , and Origin sets. It has 50 defense on each piece and gives Health Boost 3, Recovery Up 3, Divine Protection 3, and Marathon Runner 3.
You can also purchase the Defender set at the Armory, which is the exact same set as Guardian but with a Black outlining on the cloth instead of that weird orange tint, making it significantly better for aesthetics when you change the main color.

Finally, we have the everpresent push from Capcom to invite MR players into LR/HR hunts to get their Pendants/Trophies.

Alone, these factors might not be too bad. And for an experienced player bringing a new toon through, this can certainly help speed things along.
But putting these things together and primarily focusing the push for it towards new players? We'll end up with a clusterf*** that can and likely will produce players who reach IB and either continue to get carried through, bringing them to playerbase of IB's end/postgame pool, or get stumped and fall off.

I'm no vet, nor an elitist of any sort and I don't really care for the whole gatekeeping shtick or even MP in general for MH. But there's a similar issue with things like level boosts and story skips in FFXIV, bringing players who don't really know mechanics or their own moveset too well and who would sooner call out other players for being toxic rather than taking the time to learn anything. This isn't always the case of course, but I'd imagine players who do frequent MR MP may soon notice a drop in the general quality of random players, even moreso than usual.
And that's not even considering MHW's ass online system.
GT: Sho Minamimotto PSN: Azure_Reaper8 Switch: SW-3102-7895-8025 FGO: 349-336-611
I'm just a scrublord. I prefer casual games.
Rhiethreal 2 years ago#12
People whining about the defender and guardian gear are usually the same people you see being carried through hunts. I have seen many of the same name on here begging to be carried through Behemoth for access to the Drachen gear.

You will learn more using this gear and playing through the game than you will be from being carried, so yeah . . .
PSA: Information revealed literally 1 minute into a game is considered spoilers
. . . at least according to the mods on here. You will be modded for it.
Ownagepuffs 2 years ago#13
jagger_wanderer posted...
Many less than three hours?
Cutecenes prevent that from happening
".....It's fine, Mr. Wright... Even a bluff would suit me just fine... As long as you can... ..clear up this doubt inside me!"
-Apollo Justice
jagger_wanderer 2 years ago#14
Ownagepuffs posted...
Cutecenes prevent that from happening
I've seen people speedrun the story to Iceborne in 5 and 30 minutes. And that's without these developer given gear.
Lots of people hate arena for one particular reason. It has s***ty gear. When a hunter's gear determine the success of a hunt, there's no player skill involve. Base MHW show us how bad it is with arch tempered elder. Event monsters with higher stats. We are still goinig to get the same monsters we fought 100 times with higher stats.
After a few hours of solo, I will admit it does get lonely...
Black_Assassin 2 years ago#15
Lance and Hammer at least outdamage previous HR end game top weapons.
Want to cure diseases with your spare computing power?
http://folding.stanford.edu/
(message deleted)
Lafiell 1 year ago#17
What is being forgotten here is that after the cutscene ends and the SOS flare is fired 90% of all top end players watching for flares kill most story targests in less than 5 minutes. Don't blame new gear for this, blame bored vets. As for myself, was WAY done with the standard game before IB came out and I'll say now, base game gear doesn't help in IB after a certain point. Even before IB came out I never, as a vet for the series, had to have help with story missions with proper preparations. SO that means its not the new gear but higher, stronger players as they are given a reward for helping lower rank players that are likely mowing through story missions after an SOS is put up. As of this message though, I'm working a new character on a different console. Guardian is no different then when Origin was given to pre-order people. The only real difference I see here is a complaint before what you "think" might be a new player is getting the upper hand in a mission on you. In this game series its ALWAYS been skill before gear. If you can learn the monster's AI and action and how/when to avoid them then you've been playing online and getting carried.
Level_99_E-Girl 1 year ago#18
Lafiell posted...
Guardian is no different then when Origin was given to pre-order people.
lmao have you seen the skills on the Guardian armour?

I get what you're saying about skill outdoing gear but the armour combined with the Defender weapons allows most to just breeze through all the things that should be a bit difficult for their sake, so they learn.
Boosted Support main :^)
jagger_wanderer 1 year ago#19
Lafiell posted...
What is being forgotten here is that after the cutscene ends and the SOS flare is fired 90% of all top end players watching for flares kill most story targests in less than 5 minutes. Don't blame new gear for this, blame bored vets. As for myself, was WAY done with the standard game before IB came out and I'll say now, base game gear doesn't help in IB after a certain point. Even before IB came out I never, as a vet for the series, had to have help with story missions with proper preparations. SO that means its not the new gear but higher, stronger players as they are given a reward for helping lower rank players that are likely mowing through story missions after an SOS is put up. As of this message though, I'm working a new character on a different console. Guardian is no different then when Origin was given to pre-order people. The only real difference I see here is a complaint before what you "think" might be a new player is getting the upper hand in a mission on you. In this game series its ALWAYS been skill before gear. If you can learn the monster's AI and action and how/when to avoid them then you've been playing online and getting carried.
If you're a 'vet of the series' you should know, people don't carry noobs. It's those select few who can't handle the G rank monsters that tend to go back to bully low rank monsters. I made a new character a month after Iceborne release just to see how newcomers tackle this game. I hardly see inappropriate gear hunters in low rank. Guess many just don't know about the trophy? High rank is a different matter especially the ATED, behemoth, and Ancient Leshen.
After a few hours of solo, I will admit it does get lonely...
thetraveler 1 year ago#20
jagger_wanderer posted...
I've seen people speedrun the story to Iceborne in 5 and 30 minutes. And that's without these developer given gear.
Lots of people hate arena for one particular reason. It has s***ty gear. When a hunter's gear determine the success of a hunt, there's no player skill involve. Base MHW show us how bad it is with arch tempered elder. Event monsters with higher stats. We are still goinig to get the same monsters we fought 100 times with higher stats.
yea, I experienced that last night. I don't think I;ve done more than 4 or 5 arenas since MHW launched. I decided to do the MR zinogre one. I picked the GS armor because I do GS. I NEVER used impact mantle before that arena. Not afraid to say I died like 3 times before he bit the big one. My stupid ass is there trying to use items I don't have because arena difficulty. I might as well just join other people doing htem since they are 2 player arenas. I've also never used diablo armor, even in world.
I like the cut of your jib.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. Yeah... those Defender weapons...
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A