• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. SSD: Improve Your MH Experience!

User Info: tokerblue

tokerblue
1 week ago#1
There are numerous topics about the benefits of a SSD for MHW. I've owned one for over a year and I can vouch for the noticeable improvement of load times. Best Buy is going to have them on sale for Black Friday, so that may be the lowest price you'll see for the near future. I have a 500GB SSD and I have plenty of room left. If you use your PS4 for more than gaming, you may need more storage. Samsung makes the best one on the market.

Deals valid Thursday 11/28 to 11/30

500GB: $55 (Sandisk)
1TB: $109 (Samsung)
2TB: $179 (Sandisk)
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
- Robert A. Heinlein

User Info: KingThing

KingThing
1 week ago#2
Advice to people, get external SSD. If that sandisk 55 buck is for external, do it. It adds to your existing storage and its super quick plug and play (after formatting).

And I'm still weary of Samsung. Well, actually I prefer Samsung over LG but both companies I have had 100% failure rate on every single product I purchase from them. But then again, last time I bought anything from Samsung and LG is over 7 years ago so maybe, just maybe their quality improved.
Bad game. Solution? Read the lore. (Control apologists)

tokerblue
1 week ago#3
The internal drive is really easy to install. If you prefer external, that's fine, but you will pay more for the case, etc.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
- Robert A. Heinlein

User Info: KingThing

KingThing
1 week ago#4
I honestly wouldn't waste any time buying internal 500gb SSD or not. 500gb size is shooting yourself in the foot in 2020 gaming age. If you buy internal, at least 1TB or nothing.
Bad game. Solution? Read the lore. (Control apologists)

tokerblue
1 week ago#5
Depends on the budget you're working with. If you only play around a dozen games, you can just delete the game install and keep the save file when you need more space. But I agree that the $50 additional dollars is worth it to upgrade to 1TB.
- Robert A. Heinlein

User Info: ZenTea

ZenTea
1 week ago#6
Better to spring for 1 TB if your going to spend the money.
Monster Hunter - https://www.youtube.com/c/Zentea
Dissidia NT - FlyFaster

User Info: Tj_11

Tj_11
1 week ago#7
KingThing posted...
Advice to people, get external SSD. .

Internal makes it so awful and slow PS4's UI also runs better, though. Way way better compared to those ultra slow 5400RPM HDDs.
As for the size... I guess it depends how much you play in general. For me 1TB was/is the sweet spot for PS4, but I almost never play more than 1 game at the time, sometimes two. So 1TB allows me to have a few of games I always return to (such as MHW, Souls games) and shuffle through a couple of others. It's worth to note that my internet is 500/500mbps, so re-downloading deleted stuff takes very little time.

And then you have people who manage to fill their 4TB external HDDs and/or have terrible internet and can't afford to just delete/download whenever they feel like it. Although there are other side of the coin too, my friend has 500GB in his PS4 and since all he plays is litterally MHW, DS3 and BB, more than half of it is free at all times, so for such player 1TB is not really needed.

And yeah, Samsung is the best. I saw some Youtube video comparing HDD with SSD in Iceborne. Like starting the game into the TGL loading. On that video SSD surely did way better than HDD, but still was kinda slow. I'm not sure if it's because it was base PS4 or just slow SSD, but for me TGL loads way faster, around 25-27s (on HDD it was ~100s and was the main reason why I finally got SSD for PS4 to begin with).

User Info: TrueArchery

TrueArchery
1 week ago#8
It just depends on whether you actually need the space or not. If you only play a bit and don't have many games, yet want to see performance improvements buying a smaller one is a kind of a no brainer.

Also just buy a samsung. It's worth it, they're the best.

User Info: TelikoFreedman

TelikoFreedman
1 week ago#9
I just put SSDs as internal, because PS4 OS runs on that. Also HDDs run hot, so SSDs do wonderful for keeping the system cooler compared.
Phantasy Star Online 2 Ship 7

User Info: Semeki

Semeki
1 week ago#10
Hm are you a Best Buy advocate?
The darkest shadows are cast by the brightest light.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. SSD: Improve Your MH Experience!
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Answers