• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. An SSD has improved the quality of this game dramatically.

User Info: EdHarvey

EdHarvey
1 week ago#201
dzebas posted...
I've 1TB external Samsung T5 SSD gathering dust, I've purchased it for storing photos/videos when travelling.

I wonder if I can connect it to my PS4 Pro as external drive, but when I'm travelling disconnect it and take it with me? Or do I need to reformat it every time?

afaik it doesn't work unless formatted for PS4 specifically
Welcome to 2013, where people still don't know how to use google.

User Info: SilverHawke27

SilverHawke27
1 week ago#202
@dzebas
It looks like you are asking if you can use it as a PS4 external at home, and a travel photo/video drive while traveling.

Short answer, no.

The PS4 formats to it's own thing, wouldn't be compatible as a PC drive without reformatting to PC specs.

You could maybe do a first partition for the PS4 and second for photos, with a split of like 800/200 or so.

But honestly, you'd be better off just getting a normal external HDD for the photos/video. You could get a 2tb fairly cheap.
"Sa souvraya niende misain ye." ~~ PSN: CrysisZephyr
~~~No Damage from Kulve~~~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgTQtBM-lsU

User Info: dzebas

dzebas
1 week ago#203
Thanks guys!

I've old 500GB external drive for photos, but purchased 1TB SSD because there was a very good deal in Australia ($79 AUD, or ~53 USD) and thought I will use it for travelling as it is very small, light and fast, also no moving parts so less chance to get damaged.

I like the idea of two partitions though! :)

SilverHawke27
1 week ago#204
Not sure if that would work.

I -think- you would take your PC and split it into two, formatting both, with the first being the larger. Then you just plug it to the PS4 and I think it would only recognize the first partition and format that as external.

Of course it might not work.

User Info: dzebas

dzebas
1 week ago#205
SilverHawke27 posted...
Not sure if that would work.

I -think- you would take your PC and split it into two, formatting both, with the first being the larger. Then you just plug it to the PS4 and I think it would only recognize the first partition and format that as external.

Of course it might not work.

Yes, this is the plan - make 2 partitions (connected to PC) and only use bigger one of PS4, should work (I hope so).

User Info: eastman1982

eastman1982
1 week ago#206
Gonna ask a stupid question so I get an informed answer :-) so when I get an external ssd. I format it when I plug it into PS4 so the PS4 can use it as storage ok cool then I transfer mhw game and update data over to the drive what about save data does that matter where it’s read from nobody’s as asked and I’m the idiot who’s gonna :-) thanks
"I got your back like a butt crack!"
psn user Darth_Eastman

SilverHawke27
1 week ago#207
I don't think you can put save data on the external drive, even as a backup. Mine uses the internal drive, it's the only thing I use that for.

After the initial hookup and format, you can transfer your games to it, and set it as the default installation location. So from then on, any games you install, or updates will automatically install to it.

User Info: eastman1982

eastman1982
1 week ago#208
Thanks
"I got your back like a butt crack!"
psn user Darth_Eastman

User Info: LustValkyrie

LustValkyrie
1 week ago#209
I don't know man, I've never noticed. But then again, as soon as I got my Pro with MH when it release I also bought an external SSD. But I bought the SSD for storage, and it is pretty much where I have all my games.
FC: 5086-5019-6860

User Info: TheFOB

TheFOB
1 week ago#210
anyone using mechanical HDD and trying to catch all rare endemic pet? that's gotta be very frustrating...
i'm using SSD with "only" 15 to 20 seconds loading and it's getting unbearable already.

seriously capcom tester probably all run on dev kits or pc with high speed ssd, they probalby have no idea how much time is wasted watching loading screen when cycling through maps for that correct weather rng roll.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. An SSD has improved the quality of this game dramatically.
  • Topic Archived