• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. More elemental damage vs more affinity?

User Info: Dyinglegacy

Dyinglegacy
4 weeks ago#1
Which one is better on average?

In this context, you can only one. Either more element damage, or more crit chance.
Voted worst user on CE 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018.
Current e-argument streak: 0 wins. 100000 losses.

User Info: Aescenarion

Aescenarion
4 weeks ago#2
Depends on the weapon of choice.

Dyinglegacy
4 weeks ago#3
all the weapons

User Info: Solid_Seb

Solid_Seb
4 weeks ago#4
There isn't one answer for every weapon, it depends on the situation, and how much each jewel is giving you. I guess though that the biggest factor is if your build is focused around doing elemental or raw damage. You would probably want to increase whichever is more pertinent to you

User Info: Deaga

Deaga
4 weeks ago#5
If going full element, the correct answer is "both", as one of the ways to boost element is via the (True) Elemental Crit set bonus, which will require affinity anyway.

For Blademaster weapons, Adequate Element 6, Critical Eye 7, Weakness Exploit 3, Critical Boost 3 and then either True Elemental Crit+Protective Polish or Elemental Crit+Master's Touch seem to be the desired skills to use with elements for the most part.
Shameless self-plug for my MH speedrunning youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/DeASDFga

User Info: Lewkis

Lewkis
4 weeks ago#6
Solid_Seb posted...
There isn't one answer for every weapon, it depends on the situation, and how much each jewel is giving you. I guess though that the biggest factor is if your build is focused around doing elemental or raw damage. You would probably want to increase whichever is more pertinent to you

Probably the most solid answer you can get to this. Their aim was to diversify gear choices, avoid pidgeon-holing into one or the other. Instead of a whole weapon type having one good way to deal damage, it seems a lot easier to customize for what you need/want.

Personally, I finally just caved and got IB, and I'm looking forward to making more use of the elemental Charge Blades I had made before.

Switch Friend Code: SW-2501-1996-2605

Dyinglegacy
4 weeks ago#7
Did some testing on the doll, and focusing on crit, with element as secondary, seems to work out better for my set up.

User Info: Button_Masher_Z

Button_Masher_Z
4 weeks ago#8
Dyinglegacy posted...
Did some testing on the doll, and focusing on crit, with element as secondary, seems to work out better for my set up.
The training pole naturally resists a lot of element. You need to hit a monster.

You also need to tell us if it’s a dual blade, where element is king, or a greatsword, where building for element wastes skills on the weapon. The context matters a lot.

That said, no matter which you use, affinity will be a big deal, but dual blades, possibly IG, LS, may all want element too.

DBs need element.
Support for optimism: Nearly everyone I meet is some poor sod who doesn't realize what they've got, and I'm the worst offender.
We all learn when we lose it.

User Info: TEzeon431

TEzeon431
4 weeks ago#9
All endgame builds now want Critical Eye 7 and Weakness Exploit 3 together.

If your weapon has 10% natural affinity, there you go. That's 100%. Upgrade any weapon for the first affinity augment if it has 0% base affinity. If not, pump all into elemental damage.
Great job, Jeremy.

User Info: valikkster

valikkster
4 weeks ago#10
You always want both. If you're going to make an elemental build, you need critical element in order to stand up to raw potential.

If you're deco wealthy, you literally just take a crit meta set, sub in true crit element gear, replace AB with elemental damage, and fill out your missing crit amplifiers as best you can. The theorycrafting behind elemental builds is incredibly simple until you can start augmenting.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. More elemental damage vs more affinity?
  • Topic Archived