• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. Lance is the worst weapon now.

User Info: Rhiethreal

Rhiethreal
3 weeks ago#81
Lance is still good, but I agree that power-guard's guard-up needs to activate in half the time it does now. If you are at minimum stamina, I don't think it can even activate before running out of stamina.

As for counter claw, you can hold down L2 without draining stamina. Tapping O will activate the claw quickly after that, and you don't start losing stamina until you hit the O. You can also quickly get to it from counter stance (R2+O, L2).

Bloody-skies posted...
Only thing i hate is getting blighted through guarding

Yeah, this is really stupid. The game lacks consistency.
http://rhiethreal.deviantart.com/

User Info: king_wallace

king_wallace
3 weeks ago#82
Ten hops to cure Brachydios blast blight. Seems balanced.
I was a chemist.

User Info: Cedicus

Cedicus
3 weeks ago#83
My experience seems to be different... I'm currently running a Resentment and Offensive Guard build with the Lune armor set.
It seems easier to take full advantage of Resentment than Peak Performance this time around.
Guard 5, Guard Up, Resentment 5 and 3x Guardian/Expert Jewels. I've been getting great mileage from Incessant Wolf with a Critical Status build. I feel the DPS is there. The survivability is there. Master counter movement and play like Scarred Yian Garuga... Incessantly.
Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die.

User Info: valikkster

valikkster
3 weeks ago#84
Cedicus posted...
My experience seems to be different... I'm currently running a Resentment and Offensive Guard build with the Lune armor set.
It seems easier to take full advantage of Resentment than Peak Performance this time around.
Guard 5, Guard Up, Resentment 5 and 3x Guardian/Expert Jewels. I've been getting great mileage from Incessant Wolf with a Critical Status build. I feel the DPS is there. The survivability is there. Master counter movement and play like Scarred Yian Garuga... Incessantly.
I would recommend dropping 2 points of guard and putting into damage, or some other QoL. Literally nothing in the game that you CAN block will cause meaningful chip damage to you that you can mitigate, and you can shield hop through all Knockbacks. Just a suggestion.

User Info: Cedicus

Cedicus
3 weeks ago#85
valikkster posted...
I would recommend dropping 2 points of guard and putting into damage, or some other QoL. Literally nothing in the game that you CAN block will cause meaningful chip damage to you that you can mitigate, and you can shield hop through all Knockbacks. Just a suggestion.

Noted. Currently using the Ironside charm V. Going to look into a work around.
Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die.

User Info: rabidpiano86

rabidpiano86
3 weeks ago#86
JunDageki posted...
_Angel_ posted...
Idk man, I block everything under the sun with Guard 5/Guard Up on GL besides final boss.

What moves are giving you trouble, specifically ?

For now Velkhana's breath which is basically a lot, and basically everything Shara's. Shara is the biggest issue for me now. and since even regular monsters has unblockable moves i am going to assume that it's going to be a trend that every Elder is going to have a bunch of unblockables like this now.

Does Guard5/Guard up actually truly block anything? as in you don't take damage if blocking properly? because that's how Lance used to be with Guard 3 before Iceborne. it feels so wrong that i have to spend so much skill to basically make Lance do what it's supposed to...

That's like having a specific set to allow the LBG to shoot projectiles.

That's the part I had problems with too. I played vanilla MHW almost exclusively Lance. I love the weapon. But not being able to block all the bullcrap like this made me mothball it. I do much better with something more mobile like dual blades or switch axe. If I can't block attacks, what is the point?

I had Guard 3 and Guard Up and I still get the crap beat out of me.

Such a shame too. I loved the lance. So cool having this hulking huge weapon and shield and being able to stand toe to toe with anything and keep the pokes going.

But now its like I don't even have a shield at all. So what's the point?

User Info: Icewitch

Icewitch
3 weeks ago#87
I have no issue blocking anything other than Shara's death beam

Velhkanas breath can be blocked with Guard Up. 1 gem slot son...
^.^

User Info: Rhiethreal

Rhiethreal
3 weeks ago#88
Final boss and AT-Xeno aside, what can't you block with Guard 5?
http://rhiethreal.deviantart.com/

User Info: Icewitch

Icewitch
3 weeks ago#89
You seem to be conflating Guard Up and Guard 5. Guard Up lets you block more. Guard 5 just lets you block with less stagger.

The only things you can't block in Iceborne with Guard Up is Sharas big beam...
^.^

User Info: GabrielCupim

GabrielCupim
3 weeks ago#90
GabrielCupim posted...
zigxzag posted...
Lance is in its best form in World

zigxzag posted...
Guard power -> guard up is useless most of the time,

zigxzag posted...
biggest problem is switching to slinger while unsheathing to fire CC is pain in the arse.

Mained Lance in MHW.
600hrs+, hundreds of hunts, and yes, it was indeed the Lancer's best days since Tri maybe.

But now, most of lancers agree on that, it has lost World's bright in Iceborne.
The supposed-to-be-good Guard Up is nowhere near as good as other's weapons buffs. At all.

I'm average, and in World, I could get faster kill times than most of my average friends using "DPS" weapons like DB LS etc (except for punchbag dumb monsters like Great Jagras, Kulu etc, in which they sure take advantage since the monster can barely attack you)

I could manage the whole game to Guiding Land with Guard 3, except for the ridiculously pathetic Shara battle, in which I had to switch weapons because you can't survive it's laser beam with a 850def, Guard 5, Health Boost 3 full life.

It's not a hard fight, honestly. I could do it easily with other weapons.
But any hit with the lance, and you get comboed with laser right after, because you can't get up and roll, and you can't block either, even if you dump all you DPS skills for defensive ones.

Seriously, that was the last straw for me.
Came here on gamefaqs to create a post about how Lance got so much worse in this game, and oh look: there's one already. I'm not alone in this. You're not alone in this.

Oh well, sorry for the long post and overtalking. Loving the game anyway. Lance is fun but I think we'd better run the other weapons for now.

it's not that I'll use guard 5 now, after all I did good with guard 3 in the whole game (except for Shara in which I changed weapon)
Before what, the first and only triple cart was with Velkaha (she does requires guard up)

All I wanted to say is that, in World, Lance was indeed in a higher tier than it is now, that's unarguably certain.

Aside from Teo's Nova, I don't remember using the innate power guard > guard up effectively in any other fights. I love to lance, the gameplay feels epic for me while doing it, but I don't think I'm being effective in the party with it anymore.
... you sure you're not living inside a dream?
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. Lance is the worst weapon now.
  • Topic Archived