• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. Lance is the worst weapon now.

User Info: Button_Masher_Z

Button_Masher_Z
4 weeks ago#11
_Angel_ posted...
The multi-hit aspect of the beams gets you killed.
Until you turn 80 degrees to them, making the knockback eject you from the danger zone.

Don’t power guard.
Support for optimism: Nearly everyone I meet is some poor sod who doesn't realize what they've got, and I'm the worst offender.
We all learn when we lose it.

User Info: Behemothshell

Behemothshell
4 weeks ago#12
JunDageki posted...
_Angel_ posted...
Idk man, I block everything under the sun with Guard 5/Guard Up on GL besides final boss.

What moves are giving you trouble, specifically ?

For now Velkhana's breath which is basically a lot, and basically everything Shara's. Shara is the biggest issue for me now. and since even regular monsters has unblockable moves i am going to assume that it's going to be a trend that every Elder is going to have a bunch of unblockables like this now.

Does Guard5/Guard up actually truly block anything? as in you don't take damage if blocking properly? because that's how Lance used to be with Guard 3 before Iceborne. it feels so wrong that i have to spend so much skill to basically make Lance do what it's supposed to...

That's like spending having a specific set to allow the LBG to shoot projectiles.

Lance has always asked for guard up to block unblockable attacks. Also its master rank so getting by on +3 guard probably wont fly anymore. Sad to say it seems like a lot of non main lancers are using lance as some easy block poke crutch without knowing how offensive and mobile the weapon can actually be or how punishing MR monsters can be.

User Info: king_wallace

king_wallace
4 weeks ago#13
Shara beam is sort of an outlier and there’s counterplay. Guard dash away then side hop once he starts the move and as long as you aren’t dead center you should avoid it. You take less damage getting hit than the chip damage you take from blocking the whole thing with Guard 5 BTW (which is bad design, I agree), so if you f*** up its nbd.

There are other issues - nightshade Lumu clouds, metal rath lava pool, Jho pin, beach blight, blights in general, health aug being practically mandatory. Some have decent counterplay, some are a skilltax other weapons don’t have, some are just trash.

And with all of that, even with a skill that buffs your damage 15% with nearly 100% uptime, you still kill monsters slower than most other weapons.

So yeah, I think Lance is pretty bad in this game. But I think you’re exaggerating the issue a bit. Velk beams aren’t an issue at all with Guard 3, IMO. Shara only has beam as an issue. Other elders are fine except maybe Luna I haven’t gotten to her yet.
I was a chemist.

User Info: AE_

AE_
4 weeks ago#14
JunDageki posted...
For now Velkhana's breath which is basically a lot, and basically everything Shara's. Shara is the biggest issue for me now. and since even regular monsters has unblockable moves i am going to assume that it's going to be a trend that every Elder is going to have a bunch of unblockables like this now.

Does Guard5/Guard up actually truly block anything? as in you don't take damage if blocking properly? because that's how Lance used to be with Guard 3 before Iceborne. it feels so wrong that i have to spend so much skill to basically make Lance do what it's supposed to...

That's like having a specific set to allow the LBG to shoot projectiles.

You can kill velkhana out of boredom by holding R2.

Only move is sharas energy beam.
3DS FC: 4957-2586-5832

User Info: nonexistinghero

nonexistinghero
4 weeks ago#15
Sounds like you're just not very good. I could believe Lance is low tier in Iceborne, but from the sound of it your skill is the issue here.
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.

User Info: Archwing3441

Archwing3441
4 weeks ago#16
Behemothshell posted...
JunDageki posted...
_Angel_ posted...
Idk man, I block everything under the sun with Guard 5/Guard Up on GL besides final boss.

What moves are giving you trouble, specifically ?

That's like spending having a specific set to allow the LBG to shoot projectiles.

Lance has always asked for guard up to block unblockable attacks. Also its master rank so getting by on +3 guard probably wont fly anymore. Sad to say it seems like a lot of non main lancers are using lance as some easy block poke crutch without knowing how offensive and mobile the weapon can actually be or how punishing MR monsters can be.

How much harder are MR monster with lance vs AT (assuming appropriate gear)? I only made an end game lance set at base mhw and it was my crutch set for all the AT monsters -_-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KztZmZDNCVg

User Info: zigxzag

zigxzag
4 weeks ago#17
I still see video people beat Elders less than 6 min in IB (he sticks like glue to Namielle's head) with lance but their positioning is top notch, not like average player like me can pull this off.
In Diablo 3 RoS, Rift Guardians find you

User Info: JunDageki

JunDageki
4 weeks ago#18
Terenigma posted...
I'm sorry but i refuse to believe Lance is the worst weapon and whilst i may agree it's not in the top 3 weapons, it's easily in the top half of weapons. Power guarding with Guard-up and Guard 3-4 has guarded everything i have come across in the game. I would love to know what moves you refer to that get through that?

Also movement is not a problem at all, guard dashing gives you all the movement you need to dodge basic attacks and kite around a monster whilst staying close to do consistent damage. Especially solo. If you are having a problem with movement then stick evade distance on your set and that will make up the distance you need. Lance is a great weapon, it sounds more like you suck at it.

I soloed games with Lance as well including the arch tempereds with Lance, i mentioned the attacks before, but the real issue is almost everything laser from Shara after transforming.

the fact that i'm barely surviving or dying for blocking defeats the purpose of blocking. like i'd be fine if it was like one attack or two but it's like 80% of the attacks. the only thing i can block properly is the physical damages like bites and the claw.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

User Info: _TSC_

_TSC_
4 weeks ago#19
>now

User Info: _Angel_

_Angel_
4 weeks ago#20
Button_Masher_Z posted...
_Angel_ posted...
The multi-hit aspect of the beams gets you killed.
Until you turn 80 degrees to them, making the knockback eject you from the danger zone.

Don?t power guard.

GL has no power guard, smh. Unless you're talking offensive guard?

But yeah. That's actually smart, but after I got KO'ed once guarding I decided to just get out the way from then on. :P
Yahoo is now part of Oath. :blessed:
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. Lance is the worst weapon now.
  • Topic Archived