• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. Is it just me or did the handler got a huge character development in Iceborne?

User Info: Versaile

Versaile
4 weeks ago#41
Her character development kinda sucked. It barely existed, and the scale appeared out of nowhere yet she had it this whole time (iirc anyway). And us saving her is what knocked us out? I hate to say it, but handler got worse from World to Iceborne, and that's bad

User Info: ALEXx7UP

ALEXx7UP
4 weeks ago#42
roxlimn posted...
she'll compile the data and give you monster weakness ratings and tallies on which part is weak or breakable, even if you haven't actually broken those parts.

That's not how data collection works. Not even close, which is not your problem but the incompetent writers.

Data is collected from observation, typically in a very controlled manner with no unknown influences. Data is not coming to the conclusion that wings can be broken. Data would be smacking a wing with a hammer that does 50 damage per hit and a sword that does 50 damage per hit. The sword breaks the wings in fewer hits, so you conclude that the wings are weaker to slash damage. That's how you gather data.

You're example above makes no sense. You can do nothing but collect the foot prints of a monster you never discovered once...but come to the conclusion that it's tail can be broken and cut off (Glavenous). That is not data collection. That is the game giving you a interesting objective in the form of mini fetch quests that can be done mid mission and doesn't take up too much time baring collecting tracks that require a 5 second animation.

The reason you find the handler impossible to criticize despite the several comments explaining why she sucks is because you have a weird obsession with trying to find an internal justification for an event that the author clearly put no thought into and brushed past.

roxlimn posted...
Narratively, I don't think she's at the campsite during these events. She and Serious Handler talk about making records of situations and events and Handler also talks about personally witnessing your exploits. There is nothing in the game to suggest she is doing this via drone or cellphone.

ALEXx7UP posted...
Yes she just happens to be loud enough that she sounds like she is 2 feet away as we are mounting large elder dragons without being barely audible with all the destruction and monster roars going about.

Would you like to explain how she can make her disembodied head float on the screen or would you like to drop this narrative/semantics argument.

roxlimn posted...
Probably the same reason for why every hunter is supposed to be combing the Elder's Recess for Kushala Daora but we never see any of them. The game simply does not render them because it would hinder the experience. The Master Huntsman was also supposedly racing you to hunt Teostra but we never see any sign of him, either.

Alternatively, she was in camp in the entire time and observes using a drone while conversing via cellphone. She was able to interrupt the fight with Velkhana because she can teleport. Apparently.

Don't do that. That is immature. You are trying to create fan cannon to fix a badly directed scene and then praising the author for writing a scene that did not take place.

User Info: Rhiethreal

Rhiethreal
4 weeks ago#43
BanzaiHeil posted...
I just don't get her infatuation with the Tracker. Seems really forced.

The tracker is a nice old lady that was kind to the handler and reminded the handler of her grandfather. It's not forced at all.
http://rhiethreal.deviantart.com/

User Info: ALEXx7UP

ALEXx7UP
4 weeks ago#44
Versaile posted...
Her character development kinda sucked. It barely existed, and the scale appeared out of nowhere yet she had it this whole time (iirc anyway). And us saving her is what knocked us out? I hate to say it, but handler got worse from World to Iceborne, and that's bad

The events of iceborne were slightly hinted at via random dialogue in world.

It's involves the use of foreshadowing. The Handler in some introduction comments before opening the quest log will mention she has to keep a promise for her grandfather.

Now here is the issue with this. The foreshadowing in not genuine. It's more like a IOU that remains as uninformative as possible until the story is done being written.

If you comb all the dialogue regarding the Handler's grandfather prior to iceborne I don't think she mentions that her grandfather even been to the new world. The game gives you so little information that they could pretty much make anything up on the spot and not contradict anything.

It's a tool used by authors when they know they want to do something with a character but they haven't decided on what yet or how to handle it. Have them mention something vague that can lead to anything but do not reveal the limits or scope of said miguffin or statement so you don't lock a character in on anything.

Like super sayians in dragon ball as an example. It is foreshadowed several times but even vegata, a character who would know more about sayian history than anyone, Cant describe the transformation in detail. This vague legend that is never described at length allows the author to experiment with the idea (Goku turning into a fake super sayian during the lord slug movie) without be held to anything permanently.

It is also why there are now 3 versions of the transformation not including non numbered buffs. Just be really vague about stuff and you can make up new things later, but it can still make sense chronologically. Even if you barely mention it throughout the entire story until the 11th hour.

This becomes an issue when you let power creep set in and characters with 1/10 the character development get the same abilities without any of the emotional stress or rigorous training other characters had to go through as the author was finalizing the final design for the transformation.

User Info: ClimhazzardZero

ClimhazzardZero
4 weeks ago#45
The Handler hasn't developed in the slightest. As someone else pointed out, the only change since vanilla MHW was she got more focus, which only succeeded in cementing her as a useless and annoying character who was forced into the story as a sort of mouthpiece for the player's hunter. Even Navi from OoT would tell the Handler to stfu and sit down.
3DS FC: 5069-3924-4114

User Info: roxlimn

roxlimn
4 weeks ago#46
ALEXx7UP posted...
That's not how data collection works. Not even close, which is not your problem but the incompetent writers.

Data is collected from observation, typically in a very controlled manner with no unknown influences. Data is not coming to the conclusion that wings can be broken. Data would be smacking a wing with a hammer that does 50 damage per hit and a sword that does 50 damage per hit. The sword breaks the wings in fewer hits, so you conclude that the wings are weaker to slash damage. That's how you gather data.

You're example above makes no sense. You can do nothing but collect the foot prints of a monster you never discovered once...but come to the conclusion that it's tail can be broken and cut off (Glavenous). That is not data collection. That is the game giving you a interesting objective in the form of mini fetch quests that can be done mid mission and doesn't take up too much time baring collecting tracks that require a 5 second animation.

The reason you find the handler impossible to criticize despite the several comments explaining why she sucks is because you have a weird obsession with trying to find an internal justification for an event that the author clearly put no thought into and brushed past.

Shrug. I don't claim to know how she gets her information, but it's often very good. I don't actually have to break the wings or the legs. I just need enough tracks and capturing the thing. She compiles the data and I get useful notes. Which you said she didn't do. It's not "the game." It's her. You can't selectively pick which one is which based on what you prefer. The game tells you this is her job. Explicitly.

ALEXx7UP posted...
Don't do that. That is immature. You are trying to create fan cannon to fix a badly directed scene and then praising the author for writing a scene that did not take place.

Honestly? No. It makes the most sense to conclude that the game simply doesn't represent everyone graphically at once. Because otherwise Astera is just populated by a handful of people. If the game doesn't depict hunters on the hunt with you unless it's relevant, I don't see why it's all that farfetched to say that the Handler is actually near or with you most of the time. This is consistent with her being able to tell you advice instantly, and being on-hand quickly for cutscenes. It's far better than positing a Floo Network.

And she just flat out tells you she records and is an eyewitness to all of your exploits. Kind of hard to do that 5 miles away.

All of this is internally consistent and it results in the fewest ludonarrative dissonances. All it needs is a less egocentric view of the Hunter and looking past the Handler's face.

User Info: SilverHawke27

SilverHawke27
4 weeks ago#47
So, finally met Velkhana.

So finally saw the infamous Handler getting your hunter wounded bit that everyone was up in arms about.

Honestly, I would assume she came running in because she realized Velkhana was way more powerful with the ice on it, something we weren't prepared for at the time.

Aside from that, one thing I noticed is this is rather blatantly taken from Toukiden. Your character does something fairly similar when facing Terragrinder the first time. The Oni doesn't disappear after you defeat it, as the others do. And as you move off, it leaps up to attack, and your character takes the hit and gets badly wounded, in order to rescue an ally.

Something similar happens again in Toukiden 2. Somewhat amusing that Capcom pulls off something like this, after KT did it with Toukiden.

This should have all of the cutscenes, it's probably somewhere in the first half of it, I believe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbxP1LIrDl8
"Sa souvraya niende misain ye." ~~ PSN: CrysisZephyr
~~~No Damage from Kulve~~~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgTQtBM-lsU
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. Is it just me or did the handler got a huge character development in Iceborne?
  • Topic Archived