• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. Velkhana with Gunlance tips?

User Info: Aubrey_Karew

Aubrey_Karew
5 days ago#1
So I'd like to think that I'm pretty ok at this game. 350ish hours pre IB with most of that using GL. Have gone through most of IB no problem, some minor issues with Tigrex and Narga, but I attributed that to just being a bit rusty, fast jumpy monsters, ect. Then I get to Velkhana. It.... did not go well. Using Long 5 Tigrex fairly standard long MR armor upgraded (Art 5, Evade Extender, Guard, Capacity up, Guard Up and enough ice resist to ignore Blight) 1st hunt failed 27 min in. 2nd hunt killed her after 37 min. Now I'm not sure if it's a case of Git Gud or what. I felt like I really didn't have time to do more than guard or throw a couple uncharged shells before getting hit by the tail, the running dash or the ice blasts. So I ask you Gamefaqs community, any tips? Thank you.

User Info: Typhlax

Typhlax
5 days ago#2
i didnt use evade window at all before iceborne but with how fast and aggressive some of the monsters are now with quick hitboxes, velkhana included, i find it immensely helpful. always open with flinch shot to land a wyrmblast on the head to get trips. poke shell combo is a lot safer to get hits in than charged shells, which you should save for big openings (or full burst if you have capacity boost)
PSN: Ignizoa, GT: Pyroskank, 3DS FC: 5429-7299-3623

User Info: Icewitch

Icewitch
5 days ago#3
Are you using the new Wyrmstake Blast move? To clarify, the one where you jam a bunch of slinger ammo in your GL and attach a bomb to the monster.

Any shell hit landed on the bomb will deal an additional explosion (so a full burst with capacity up would be 12 explodes)
^.^

User Info: Aubrey_Karew

Aubrey_Karew
5 days ago#4
Icewitch posted...
Are you using the new Wyrmstake Blast move? To clarify, the one where you jam a bunch of slinger ammo in your GL and attach a bomb to the monster.

Any shell hit landed on the bomb will deal an additional explosion (so a full burst with capacity up would be 12 explodes)

The issue I was running into with the WSB was hitting her with it. Most of the time I'd start a hunt clutching the face, taking them into a wall then jamming the WSB into them. Dunno if I was getting unlucky but anytime I'd clutch Velks face she'd knock me off. Does she have any windows to slinger burst aside from the exhaustion windows?

Evade Window I'll give a shot, maybe try more full bursting (just feels weird doing it on long lol).

User Info: CaoSlayer

CaoSlayer
5 days ago#5
Aubrey_Karew posted...
Icewitch posted...

The issue I was running into with the WSB was hitting her with it. Most of the time I'd start a hunt clutching the face, taking them into a wall then jamming the WSB into them. Dunno if I was getting unlucky but anytime I'd clutch Velks face she'd knock me off. Does she have any windows to slinger burst aside from the exhaustion windows?

Evade Window I'll give a shot, maybe try more full bursting (just feels weird doing it on long lol).

Here is a big thing:

Dont place the mine in a hard to reach place. The best places are legs or just in the center of the body.

Placing it in a moving place makes it insanely hard to hit unless you get to stunlock.
youtube.com/caoslayer
All Gunlance Videos. Builds, Walkthrough, Naked Runs, and explosions, lots of explosions.

User Info: the_requiem

the_requiem
5 days ago#6
CaoSlayer posted...
The best places are legs or just in the center of the body.

This is what I've been doing.

Can there be two WSBs on a monster if there are two GLs?
MHW:Iceborne| Elder Scrolls Online
^Currently playing

User Info: valikkster

valikkster
5 days ago#7
So firstly, GL is a terrible matchup for Velk. Secondly, the attacks you want after the triple side tail stab, and the double breath attack. You can side hop to the other side of the body with the stands to completely avoid them and do damage, and the double breath is just a free opening.

Everything else is a wait and stab.

User Info: GunMetalGhost

GunMetalGhost
5 days ago#8
1. Make sure the icon of her on the mini map has a yellow color, not red. You cannot use the clutch claw to throw her into walls when it's red, which means she is enraged.

2. Grab 2 slinger ammos before facing her. The first one? Load your WSB. Second one? Hold onto to throw her into the wall (wear rocksteady when you do this to make it easier)

3. After the wall knockdown stab the wyvern stake into her chest, legs or face.

Chase, shell, clutch, whatever it takes.

User Info: CaoSlayer

CaoSlayer
4 days ago#9
the_requiem posted...
CaoSlayer posted...

Yes, it can.

The other player wsb explodes for a very weak damage when hit
youtube.com/caoslayer
All Gunlance Videos. Builds, Walkthrough, Naked Runs, and explosions, lots of explosions.

User Info: the_requiem

the_requiem
4 days ago#10
CaoSlayer posted...
the_requiem posted...
CaoSlayer posted...

Yes, it can.

The other player wsb explodes for a very weak damage when hit

Does it mean my shells on other player's WSB do less damage? Or second WSB always does lesser damage?
MHW:Iceborne| Elder Scrolls Online
^Currently playing
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. Velkhana with Gunlance tips?
  • Post New Message