• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. They better NOT have a story for the next MH if it stays this bad.

User Info: Blufield

Blufield
1 week ago#31
The English localization is especially bad IMO. Can't recall any examples, but I remember multiple instances of dropping important nuances and inserting weird stuff that's not in the Japanese dialogue, making everyone seem a lot more infantile. I can only imagine how much horrible localization I'm missing for all the non-voiced lines.

Even with the more serious Japanese dialogue, it's still pretty generic and uninteresting. The story isn't something that really sticks with you, it's not deep and doesn't feel well thought-out. I guess it may add a little extra weight to some of the monsters, but that gets ruined when they make monsters like Nergigante seem like a single unique entity, even though we've killed so many of them. They don't need to connect monsters to a long story to have cutscenes showing them off, anyway. Just have an intro cutscene for the first time you find each monster.

NPCs don't come across as genuine because they often run away and don't help in battle. Some of them (Handler, Field Team Leader) magically contact you from long distance. There's one scene where the Handler almost gets you killed because she runs up to talk to you, when she could just use her magical telepathy like she always does.

One thing that stood out to me is how the Clutch Claw doesn't seem to ever be explained or referenced in the story or by the NPCs. It feels like every other ability or item has some kind of lore explanation. You'd think something as significant as the Clutch Claw would have its own little backstory.

User Info: Caroniver

Caroniver
1 week ago#32
Blufield posted...
NPCs don't come across as genuine because they often run away and don't help in battle. Some of them (Handler, Field Team Leader) magically contact you from long distance. There's one scene where the Handler almost gets you killed because she runs up to talk to you, when she could just use her magical telepathy like she always does.

The Piscine Researcher gave me some assignments to catch some large fish. At one point, he gave me one where I was at the right location/time/weather to find it, so I started fishing. He was standing right next to me and cheering me on. I thought it was neat.

Later, I was fishing in the Ancient Forest while he wasn't even on the map and he started cheering me on from Gog knows where.

World is the only Monster Hunter game where NPCs communicate with you mid-quest consistently. There are one-off moments in others, like when you run into the Fated Four in Gen or Lagi in Tri and an NPC pops up with a message saying "Run". But in this game it's constant. Kulve especially is an offender.
Mixer of Mega Dash Juices, slayer of giant monsters.
The elevation increases as the bullet is fired
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: setsunahq

setsunahq
1 week ago#33
better than the witcher quest

User Info: psoRanger

psoRanger
1 week ago#34
*flame shield on*
People wanted story, they gave us unskippable cutscenes......thanks people.
Support The Empire, show your loyalty to Vader and submit to his reviews.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChhrRX-18EpFWtN0Ob1Ui4w

User Info: valikkster

valikkster
1 week ago#35
Iron-Warrior posted...
Are you just forcing yourself to play the game now? Most comments I see from you here makes you come off as being absolutely dissapointed with this expansion.

Im severely disappointed with the implementation of the CC, the pacing of weapon upgrades, the fact that endgame HR weapons are better than most everything in r9/10, the plot, and weapon designs.

Other than that im enjoying the expansion very much so.

User Info: ilikefords

ilikefords
1 week ago#36
LordFarquad1312 posted...
MH has a story?

Oh look, the "Guess I'll respond with pretending I didn't realize the game had a story" response.
R6 Rider //// Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
"Bloodbourne....Its a Dynasty Warriors ripp off trying to hard." - Spacefrisian

User Info: Mogryking

Mogryking
1 week ago#37
Mulate posted...
LordFarquad1312 posted...
MH has a story?

Exactly. Just ignore the unskippable cutscenes with voice acting and script.

I wish I could
Monsterhunter Mistery Dungeon Moggwa-24.3.2016 (._.)
https://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/17419471/

User Info: prsboys

prsboys
1 week ago#38
Both 4U and World I read all the dialogue and pay attention to cutscenes as the story is really good when you compare to the rest of the series.
Hello peoples it is Prsboys and how I wish I had a taco

User Info: hereforemnant

hereforemnant
1 week ago#39
Blufield posted...

That really bugged the hell out of me, because how many times now have we been fighting something and she runs in as a non-combatant and makes things worse by coming in to say hi? She doesn't even come over to say or do anything important, just to draw aggro so we take some blows to protect her, again. She isn't the handler, we're handling her by trying to keep her presence to a minimum so she doesn't get us or someone else maimed.
3DS Friend Code: FC: 0318-7199-1150
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: srepucane

srepucane
1 week ago#40
psoRanger posted...
*flame shield on*
People wanted story, they gave us unskippable cutscenes......thanks people.

This and the dumb ass reviewers knocking points on Monster Hunter games because of lack of story. Wish the "story" went back to 2nd gen style and the devs focused more on better weapon designs.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. They better NOT have a story for the next MH if it stays this bad.
  • Post New Message