• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. Okay maybe the monsters have a bit too much hp

User Info: Caroniver

Caroniver
1 week ago#171
Rhiethreal posted...
Caroniver posted...
scorpio man posted...
gained their biggest/fastest sales to date

Because of advertisements. World got a full ad campaign outside of Japan, and was announced at E3, one of the biggest gaming showcases in the Western World. I cannot stress enough that World isn't the best-selling Monster Hunter game in Japan.

Do you think Capcom cares? Gaming is becoming less popular in Japan, and World was the best selling game in company history.

The point is that World sold well because it was advertised well. That's not something that's going to get sales for the next title. Plenty of people tried out World, said it was too hard or they didn't like the grinding, and left forever. Meanwhile, games like Portable 3rd and Generations Ultimate sold so well to people who had played MonHun before and would continue to play MonHun afterwards.
No MonHun, even if it's a carbon copy of World, will ever hit 14 million again.
Mixer of Mega Dash Juices, slayer of giant monsters.
The elevation increases as the bullet is fired

User Info: Akubarix

Akubarix
1 week ago#172
Panthera posted...
Rhiethreal posted...
Panthera posted...
Hey, if I could plan back in 2001 to make this account solely so I could come in and gaslight the innocent people of this world into thinking it was possible to realize Nightshade Paolumu would use sleep, surely you could have planned it out in 2005

Several people make board specific accounts, then use them as alts too. It's why you will often see accounts that seem to only ever post on Souls-like boards suddenly start posting on a Zelda board just to agree with someone who uses an oddly similar syntax.

Right, and everyone who has been a regular poster here in the past just happened to bring an alt here today and just happened to then switch over to their main to back themselves up, all solely to spite you. This is a logical explanation and not at all crazy.

Dude is nuttier than squirrel **** if he thinks I'm wasting time an alt account.
Lao on the streets. Rajang in the sheets.
R.I.P. Chrome Razor. 2004-2018

User Info: iHeartMota

iHeartMota
1 week ago#173
Some people don't have anything to do but to troll in an niche online forum.
"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." - Calvin and Hobbes

User Info: Rhiethreal

Rhiethreal
1 week ago#174
Caroniver posted...
Rhiethreal posted...
Caroniver posted...
scorpio man posted...

Because of advertisements. World got a full ad campaign outside of Japan, and was announced at E3, one of the biggest gaming showcases in the Western World. I cannot stress enough that World isn't the best-selling Monster Hunter game in Japan.

Do you think Capcom cares? Gaming is becoming less popular in Japan, and World was the best selling game in company history.

The point is that World sold well because it was advertised well. That's not something that's going to get sales for the next title. Plenty of people tried out World, said it was too hard or they didn't like the grinding, and left forever. Meanwhile, games like Portable 3rd and Generations Ultimate sold so well to people who had played MonHun before and would continue to play MonHun afterwards.

I have played MH 1, 2, and 3u casually. None of them sang to me. World did. It even got me to go back to 3u and give it another chance.

That is more than just advertising at work.
http://rhiethreal.deviantart.com/

User Info: cooolio

cooolio
1 week ago#175
digidevilwil posted...

You can make the Narga set by MR3 which is insanely strong pierce LBG set, and has great stagger potential. You can make high defense builds with MR1 pieces that allow you to take so little damage that you can't even realistically die. You have a lot of this build flexibility that is non existent at the beginning of MHW. Also all weapons have high sharpness. Not having to sharpen your weapon is a game changer. Maybe meta isn't the best word, but you can construct actual builds with actual purpose immediately in Iceborne, and tbh they might not be too far off from meta in the long run.

Meta builds are the most optimal most sets that provide the most dps potential against a monster. A high survivability build or purpose specific build doesn't fit this. Prior to iceborne, it was easier to reach 100% affinity with how WE and Maximum might worked and just with how it is much easier to stack skills in comparison to previous games. Drachen was the meta prior to iceborne

From what i gather, no one has reached the point that they have begun to fully optimize their sets. When people reach the point where they have the most efficient damage dealing builds, that will be the meta. Damage is what makes hunts take less time.
Life is neither cruel nor precious. Some people are just born in pain others either walk in it or wield it.

User Info: cooolio

cooolio
1 week ago#176
Rhiethreal posted...

I have played MH 1, 2, and 3u casually. None of them sang to me. World did. It even got me to go back to 3u and give it another chance.

It's advertising and wider availability. Because world was the first worldwide console release since 3U, more players had access. Through their announcement at E3, attention from many gaming sites, and othet methods, world was advertised and got more attention. People were giving more attention to a console game and adding in the fact that some were liking the idea that it was hard like dark souls, so many YouTube channels were giving it more attention.

Then there is the beta that got a lot of attention.

Sure, the Qol and accesivblouu got people to stay, but I'm certain that a lot of consumers did not know about all that prior to the purchase.
Life is neither cruel nor precious. Some people are just born in pain others either walk in it or wield it.

User Info: Caroniver

Caroniver
1 week ago#177
cooolio posted...
accesivblouu

I personally prefer World's addition of covfefe, but whatever you like.
Mixer of Mega Dash Juices, slayer of giant monsters.
The elevation increases as the bullet is fired

User Info: Rhiethreal

Rhiethreal
1 week ago#178
The beta and being on real consoles definitely helped.
http://rhiethreal.deviantart.com/

User Info: ALEXx7UP

ALEXx7UP
1 week ago#179
Rhiethreal posted...
Caroniver posted...
Rhiethreal posted...
Caroniver posted...
scorpio man posted...

Good for you. That's called anecdotal evidence.

You didn't explain anything beyond that it made you feel good.

User Info: DeanDandylion

DeanDandylion
1 week ago#180
LonelyGaruga posted...
You mean it was made easier, not more accessible.

I've been getting back into GU the past few days, and its insane how true this statement is. I was playing lance last night, and the hit box on the thing is literally the size of the tip, unlike in World where the most sloppy aiming will result in hits. GU demands so much more precision and skill to place attacks, as well as so much better timing and monster knowledge to counter and block effectively.

Hunters feel almost godlike in terms of capability in World, while monsters seem so much slower, less aggressive, and roar happy. These two aspects combine to create something of a steamroll experience in World that, at least for me, seems to have made me a worse hunter. It's taken some actual effort and time to stop sucking and to git gud again.

In light of this, I think we need to see IB's sales figures and retention rates before we draw conclusions about the future trajectory of the MH series. Last I saw, fewer than 50% of the PS4 install base beat Xeno. It's feasible that far fewer will make it through IB, especially with it being more in line with older MH. World's main game did not prepare people for such levels of demand. It's quite probable that, as Caroniver said, that no future title will do gangbusters like World did because of this, which is the main problem with casualization and trying to capture a wider audience. Such lengths typically only harm a series and alienate the devoted playerbase while the casuals just move onto the next big thing, leaving behind a watered down version of what was once great without that wider audience and with the core following disenchanted.
Currently playing nothing, no goddamned time these days
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. Okay maybe the monsters have a bit too much hp
  • Topic Archived