• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. Weapon Math Question

User Info: 13Z50P

13Z50P
1 month ago#1
Still new to this game. I'm about to fight Uragaan for first time. Can't figure out the damage math with weaknesses. I have HBS III with 528 Atk and 70 Sleep (2* weakness) and a DS II with 363 Atk but 330 Dragon (3* weakness). Which is better/ does more damage? Thanx.
That's what she said!

User Info: Unbound-King

Unbound-King
1 month ago#2
I don't even know what those weapons are.
GT: Sho Minamimotto PSN: Azure_Reaper8 3Ds FC: 0662-2616-5710
I prefer casual games. Let's play! [I fear vacuums and the ocean and I'm a Scrublord. I suck!]

13Z50P
1 month ago#3
Names are irrelevant, I've posted the atk. numbers and elemental dmg. which is the question.
That's what she said!

User Info: Unbound-King

Unbound-King
1 month ago#4
13Z50P posted...
Names are irrelevant, I've posted the atk. numbers and elemental dmg. which is the question.

Alrighty then. Keep your secrets.
You can probably figure it out yourself with this:

Hammer = 5.2
Horn = 4.2
Switch Axe = 3.5
Great Sword = 4.8
Charge Blade = 3.6
Long Sword = 3.3
Insect Glaive = 3.1
Lance = 2.3
Gunlance = 2.3
Heavy Bowgun = 1.5
Sword and Shield = 1.4
Dual Blades =1.4
Light Bowgun = 1.3
Bow = 1.2

These numbers are the "bloated" multipliers each weapon type goes through when determining the raw value you usually see. For example, a pair of Dual Blades that displays 252 Attack in game has a true raw of 252/1.4 = 180.

Where sharpness applies we have the color followed by how much its raw and then its elemental multipliers actually are.
Red 0.5 0.25
Orange 0.75 0.50
Yellow 1.0 0.75
Green 1.05 1.00
Blue 1.20 1.0625
White 1.32 1.125

Also it's worth noting that the true value for Element is 1/10 what ya' see. 180 Element would be 18.
So going back to the DBs, if they had 180 True Raw/18 Element and White Sharpness...
180 * 1.32 = 238 True Raw
18 * 1.125 = 20 True Element

Hope that helps.
GT: Sho Minamimotto PSN: Azure_Reaper8 3Ds FC: 0662-2616-5710
I prefer casual games. Let's play! [I fear vacuums and the ocean and I'm a Scrublord. I suck!]

13Z50P
1 month ago#5
This helps. Thank you. It's even better if I'm comparing different weapons. My 2 were same everything, which is why I didn't go into detail. With your math, looks like the first one is better. GZ
That's what she said!

User Info: Button_Masher_Z

Button_Masher_Z
1 month ago#6
HBS = hard bone shotel
DS = divine slasher

Never heard of the shotel being useful, DS will be really good if you get white sharpness and can maintain it.

Reaver calamity is easier to build for, and will serve extremely well.

If you get them, taroth sword fire and kjarr sword dragon will do even better.

Hold up... DS can’t hit 330 dragon... uh... yeah, acronyms only work for the meta stuff, we don’t even know what weapons are being discussed.

The other part of the calculation will be the appropriate damage type (blunt/shot/slash) and elemental hitzones. Both vary depending on monster and location on the monster. And be VERY CAREFUL looking at hunter’s notes, they aren’t very accurate depending on the monster. Like, vaal is “weak to dragon,” but actually takes no dragon damage until his parts are broken, or behemoth is only weak to dragon on the horns, but you want water even though it doesn’t look like a weakness.

And some weapons do far better as raw weapons than as elemental or status weapons.
Support for optimism: Nearly everyone I meet is some poor sod who doesn't realize what they've got, and I'm the worst offender.
We all learn when we lose it.

User Info: JD Old No7

JD Old No7
1 month ago#7
Looks like he has the Dragonbone Stabber II.
Tennessee Whiskey

User Info: Button_Masher_Z

Button_Masher_Z
1 month ago#8
JD Old No7 posted...

That makes a lot of sense, didn’t even think to look beyond divine slasher. It’s lucky I even guessed the right weapon class.
Support for optimism: Nearly everyone I meet is some poor sod who doesn't realize what they've got, and I'm the worst offender.
We all learn when we lose it.

User Info: DarxWingDuck

DarxWingDuck
1 month ago#9
Button_Masher_Z posted...
JD Old No7 posted...

That makes a lot of sense, didn’t even think to look beyond divine slasher. It’s lucky I even guessed the right weapon class.

Lol

13Z50P
1 month ago#10
I'll check and post when I get home later. To me it was just the raw numbers and use weapon a or b question. As one had high base and low elemental, the second being the opposite. Both swords yes. BTW, beat him with 1st one.
That's what she said!
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. Weapon Math Question
  • Topic Archived