• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. List of questions from an absolute beginner

User Info: DartDragoon

DartDragoon
4 weeks ago#1
Actually I lied, I played a 20-something hours on MH on the PSP so I know the absolute basics but I recently picked up MH:W and I have a few questions that the game doesn't seem to be willing to give me answers for.

1) Is there a way to see all the crafting mats that I've gathered ? So far the ONLY way I've found to see my mats is by choosing "Sell items" while at the item box. Seems really clunky so there must be a better way to browse all my mats.

2) I tried out all the weapons and the one that clicked the most is the Charge Blade. I've heard in the past that MH:W kinda locks you down into a single weapon type but so far I haven't seen how that would happen. Is there a skill tree or masteries for each weapon type further down the road ?

3) Speaking of the Charge Blade. Apparently there's a way to charge up the shield and slam down the sword form into a huge lightning attack on the ground that uses all vials. I've seen videos mention and show this, but they never say HOW to do it. Nothing about this in the in-game move list either. How to I charge the shield form instead of the axe form ?

4) What are the investigation missions ? I've seen the humongous list that has 20 times the same quest to kill Vespoids or J-somethings. What are these used for ? Just some repeatable quests to grind money and mats ?

5) Why does the smith not show me the mats required for a certain weapon ? It says "You cannot craft this" in red at the bottom of the screen, but sometimes it shows a full list of the required mats, but has a lots of ???s to show the mats I don't have but shows that I have 10 Malachite ores needed and it says "You do not have the required materials" at the bottom. Thing is, that malachite one if relly far down the tree and the one that doesn't show anything should be the next logical upgrade.

That's about it for now !
PSN: AstroZombie29
Currently Playing: Devil May Cry 5, WoW, Hollow Knight

User Info: tokerblue

tokerblue
4 weeks ago#2
1. Not sure.
2. MHW let's you use any weapon at any time. The only thing that would limit you is the materials required to forge new weapons. As long as you have those, you can switch at any time.
3. The Super Amped Elemental Discharge. This is a great tutorial.
https://youtu.be/hvlVtfSzO2Y
4. They are missions you get from picking up tracks. They're the best way to fight the monsters you want and get materials. Depending on the color of the boxes, the rewards differ.
5. You need to obtain the mystery material in game before it will appear in the Smith's list. So you probably haven't killed that monster yet.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
- Robert A. Heinlein

DartDragoon
4 weeks ago#3
tokerblue posted...
4. They are missions you get from picking up tracks. They're the best way to fight the monsters you want and get materials. Depending on the color of the boxes, the rewards differ.

Aaah so I should stop interacting with all those shiny things then ? I thought I needed to do that for the fireflies to track the mission target "boss" more precisely.
Currently Playing: Devil May Cry 5, WoW, Hollow Knight

User Info: vidgamr

vidgamr
4 weeks ago#4
DartDragoon posted...
tokerblue posted...

Aaah so I should stop interacting with all those shiny things then ? I thought I needed to do that for the fireflies to track the mission target "boss" more precisely.

It does both, picking up monster tracks helps you with more quickly finding a monster, and it is one of the ways you can get investigations. The other main method is breaking monster parts. Investigation missions are exactly what you thought they were though, extra repeatable (to a limit) missions to allow you to better farm monster materials and at endgame decorations and streamstones.
You know when old people poke you at weddings and say "you're next"? I do the same to them at funerals.
XBL: WtrMan ---- PSN: Barbobott

User Info: Lewkis

Lewkis
4 weeks ago#5
DartDragoon posted...

Quite the opposite. Picking up tracks (or other kinds of traces they leave behind) is the easiest way to get investigations. Yes, it does level up your research on them and make it easier for the flies to find the monster, but that isn't all. Investigations are the best way to farm monster materials because of the reward boxes at the bottom. Bronze, silver and gold all have a % chance of giving you a monster part, even ones that you would normally have to break and get as a special reward. Keep in mind, though, that the investigations you get are also random, not necessarily for the monster you are getting tracks from (I always hated this, as it makes no sense, but it is what it is).

The linked video to Arekkz tutorial is a great way to start. He has them for all weapons and is good at explaining how to do certain moves, then gives you ideal combos and what kinds of armor skills to use for those weapons. He got me started on several weapons and in my opinion is the best at breaking it down.

As for looking at monster materials, when you go to your Item Box there should be tabs at the top, the one that looks like a monster scale is where it will show you your monster parts. While your cursor is in that box, you can also push R3 to sort them by monster, makes it a lot easier to find stuff.

DartDragoon
3 weeks ago#6
After playing some more, here's a new batch of questions

1) How exactly do you pick up the lumafly tracks of a monster ? Sometimes I take on a mission where I have 30mins to kill 2 targets. I find the first one with the lumaflies, kill it... then what ? I wander around for 10-15minutes trying to eventually pick up the track of the second monster I have to kill. Is there a more efficient way to do this ? Or wandering around it pretty much part of the game ?

2) How exactly do you capture a monster ? I got a few missions that needs me to capture something but unless I blacked out completely, I don't remember the game telling me in any way shape or form how to do this.
Currently Playing: WoW, Monster Hunter World

User Info: xMizuru

xMizuru
3 weeks ago#7
DartDragoon posted...
After playing some more, here's a new batch of questions

1) How exactly do you pick up the lumafly tracks of a monster ? Sometimes I take on a mission where I have 30mins to kill 2 targets. I find the first one with the lumaflies, kill it... then what ? I wander around for 10-15minutes trying to eventually pick up the track of the second monster I have to kill. Is there a more efficient way to do this ? Or wandering around it pretty much part of the game ?

2) How exactly do you capture a monster ? I got a few missions that needs me to capture something but unless I blacked out completely, I don't remember the game telling me in any way shape or form how to do this.

1. Most monsters have a route they usually follow or area they stick to, try going on expeditions and following some around to know there areas.

2. If its a capture mission there is a Shock Trap and Tranq Bombs in the mission box. When a monster is weakened use the tranq bombs on it then let use the shock trap to capture it! Usually 2 of the 4 they give you is enough

Hope this helps ^^
PSN: xMizuru
MHW ~ Luna | FFXIV ~ Lucia Shirayuki

User Info: Thundar

Thundar
3 weeks ago#8
Youtube is your friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hUyVH-GCzg
https://i.imgtc.com/AtJBvaN.jpg
PSN: Qwid SW-5644-7025-9610

DartDragoon
3 weeks ago#9
Thanks, that does help ! I never bothered about checking the item box after seeing it only contained a few potions and rations.

Final question, does the vouchers that you can add at the start of a mission does anything else than double the amount of zenny rewarded at the end ?
Currently Playing: WoW, Monster Hunter World

User Info: Robertn__07

Robertn__07
3 weeks ago#10
DartDragoon posted...
Thanks, that does help ! I never bothered about checking the item box after seeing it only contained a few potions and rations.

Final question, does the vouchers that you can add at the start of a mission does anything else than double the amount of zenny rewarded at the end ?

Nope, just money.
Oh Internet, how you've disappointed me with your constant disagreements about anything good or bad.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. List of questions from an absolute beginner
  • Topic Archived