You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. It is Tee-Grex, Not Tai-grex

User Info: Fernystein

Fernystein
1 week ago#1
Just like T-Rex. It makes more sense.

User Info: Unbound-King

Unbound-King
1 week ago#2
Tigger-EX? Got it!
GT: Sho Minamimotto PSN: Azure_Reaper8 3Ds FC: 0662-2616-5710
I prefer casual games. Let's play! [I fear vacuums and the ocean and I'm a Scrublord. I suck!]

User Info: drag10

drag10
1 week ago#3
I'll probably still call it "tai-grex" out of habit because ever since I first saw it in MHFU, I've always had the image of "tiger rex" in my head based on its design.
PSN: AshScar88

User Info: orBhsiF

orBhsiF
1 week ago#4
Wut
Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-0592-9083-9035.

User Info: MMX377

MMX377
1 week ago#5
This topic murders me so miserably because it is not funny.
"Get up!! Show me your true power!" Ryu's victory quote in SF3

User Info: Arkkai

Arkkai
1 week ago#6
Fernystein posted...
Just like T-Rex. It makes more sense.

not really

the colors and a few of the weapons you make with Tigrex parts are named "tiger ______" makes more sense that the name is a combination of tiger+rex

also the original name "Tigarekkusu" sounds like a combination of those 2
FC: 2165-5935-0661
PSN: Arkkai_SRK - GT : Arkkai SRK

User Info: LonelyGaruga

LonelyGaruga
1 week ago#7
I used to think that too, but then the developers that were talking about the game clearly pronounced its Japanese name as a "tee" syllable, and sure enough, that's how the katakana indicates it's to be read. I thought that maybe there was something I was missing before, because it just didn't seem to have any reason to be pronounced that way, but as it turns out, it's "tee-grex".
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: Panthera

Panthera
1 week ago#8
Tai-grex sounds like a monster. Tee-grex sounds like some sort of sanitary product. I know which one I'm sticking with, and it's not the one that sounds like belongs in my bathroom. Unless I need to clean my ears maybe, then bring on the Tee-grex.
Meow!

User Info: SilverKyousuke

SilverKyousuke
1 week ago#9
LonelyGaruga posted...
I used to think that too, but then the developers that were talking about the game clearly pronounced its Japanese name as a "tee" syllable, and sure enough, that's how the katakana indicates it's to be read. I thought that maybe there was something I was missing before, because it just didn't seem to have any reason to be pronounced that way, but as it turns out, it's "tee-grex".

Yup. The "i" in Japanese phonetically makes an "ee" sound. If they had intended it to be pronounced Tai-grex they would have written the Japanese name as Taigarekkusu.
GT: xXPakkunXx My FC is: 3539-9672-6526
I'm not superstitious. I am, a little stitious.

User Info: Fernystein

Fernystein
1 week ago#10
Well then, you will pronounce it wrong. Monster names almost always follow the "latin" pronounce and luckily for me, my first language has latin origins. One exception is Legiana, which is pronounced with an hard G. There should be an official pronunciation for all monsters...
Tigrex's name derives from the word "Tigre" , not from "Tiger", They mean the exact same thing, but have different pronunciation.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. It is Tee-Grex, Not Tai-grex