• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. What weapon requires the least farming / grinding?

User Info: The_Real_Turnip

The_Real_Turnip
1 month ago#1
I picked this up because it was cheap on PS4 recently, and I've done a few hunts with each weapon to get a feel for them (just Great Jagras and Pukei Pukei) and trying to decide what to focus on. From research I've noticed that they're all viable for the whole game, but to really get use out of some of them you need a lot of consumables (ammo, coatings) or specific set ups (farmed armour components).

I'm going to be playing solo and don't have a lot of free time, so I'd rather focus on advancing the story (well, the chain of increasingly cool hunts) then redoing too many to get essential components, so just wondering what weapons work best "out of the box" or has quality upgrades that don't require hard to get or super exotic materials.

So far I've had fun with all of the weapons except the Charge Blade, which is surprising because on paper and in videos it looks like it'd be my jam, but managing the phials was just annoying. I found they charged up too almost quickly, and it interrupted my flow - maybe with more time investment I'd get into its rhythm, but I'd rather just play the Switch Axe of one of the big anime swords which clicked right out the gate. Only other problem I've had is sheathing weapons when I'm trying to attack, or attacking when I want to roll, because I've got Souls controls too deeply ingrained.

User Info: Button_Masher_Z

Button_Masher_Z
1 month ago#2
Greatsword. Requires an event, but avoiding kulve will inherently minimize farming.

Decos are still a thing, but all weapons need decos.

CB will want kulve and very rare decos.
Support for optimism: Nearly everyone I meet is some poor sod who doesn't realize what they've got, and I'm the worst offender.
We all learn when we lose it.

User Info: MakotoYuri

MakotoYuri
1 month ago#3
i´m no expert but i feel like they use about the same material, also better weapons are gonna be harder to craft that´s just how it is.

from my personal experience i´d recommend Lance, you stay safe and can even poke fliers outta the sky, out of all lances i´d recommend Odogaron Lance,the Odogaron one is pretty much the best besides Kulve crest claw, also Odogaron is easy to defeat
If you obey Lucifer and are 100% proud of it, copy this and make it your signature! RPGs Beaten: 666

User Info: UndyingStick

UndyingStick
1 month ago#4
Button_Masher_Z posted...
Greatsword. Requires an event, but avoiding kulve will inherently minimize farming.

CB doesn't require Kulve, but it does require rare decos, yes.

User Info: CaoSlayer

CaoSlayer
1 month ago#5
Long gunlance only needs three skills. Artillery capacity and focus for max dps.

You can create a set with even low rank materials.
youtube.com/caoslayer
All Gunlance Videos. Builds, Walkthrough, Naked Runs, and explosions, lots of explosions.

User Info: Button_Masher_Z

Button_Masher_Z
1 month ago#6
UndyingStick posted...

No weapon truly requires kulve, but some kjarr CBs are hard to pass up.

GS only has to worry about wyvern ignition.
Support for optimism: Nearly everyone I meet is some poor sod who doesn't realize what they've got, and I'm the worst offender.
We all learn when we lose it.

User Info: Igueseous

Igueseous
1 month ago#7
For the story you can just build the bone line for any melee weapon and call it good.

For post game you can just make either a Jho or Luna weapon for anything except Bow/HBG/LBG/DB/CB and call it good.

User Info: Dark_Abaddon

Dark_Abaddon
1 month ago#8
CaoSlayer posted...
Long gunlance only needs three skills. Artillery capacity and focus for max dps.

You can create a set with even low rank materials.

this. You can make a great set without a single deco.

and the Zorah Gunlance has Long 4 shelling, and is easy to get.
Gaming while on a treadmill

User Info: UndyingStick

UndyingStick
1 month ago#9
UndyingStick posted...

No weapon truly requires kulve, but some kjarr CBs are hard to pass up.

GS only has to worry about wyvern ignition.

Only the Ice CB. Other than that, you're perfectly fine with Blos for everything else.

User Info: The_Real_Turnip

The_Real_Turnip
1 month ago#10
Man, seeing everyone talking about needing special stuff for CB's makes me glad that it's the one weapon I really don't enjoy. Happy to not need rare stuff.

Gun Lance not needing much seems cool - I'll toy around with it some more see how I like it. It did feel a little slower then I'd like compared to the Insect Glaive being a hyper mobile chainsaw, or the Long Swords mobility and damage. Great Sword seems straight forward too, if its mostly about Wyvern Ignition (looked it up, doesn't seem too hard, unless it's drops are hyper rare).

Need anything special for Insect Glaive or Long Sword? Juggling the buffs took a little to get my head around (finding the orange spot, for example), but that's a fun weapon. As is the Long Sword.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. What weapon requires the least farming / grinding?
  • Topic Archived