• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. What to prioritize when creating a build?

User Info: TheMightyDrez

TheMightyDrez
4 weeks ago#1
I'm relatively new, just finished the Rotten Vale primarily as a lance player. I have builds for fighting most monsters, but I actually don't know what to prioritize when creating a build:

* As a lance user, is it worth using status effect weapons (e.g. poison) over elemental weapons (e.g. thunder)? More specifically, if fighting a Barroth which is weak to fire and poison, should I use a fire lance or a poison lance?

* When choosing armor, should I prioritize the armors innate elemental resistances, or the skills they posses? I don't have a good example here... maybe something like, if I'm fighting Tobi-Kadachi, should I use the Tobi-Kadachi set because it gives high thunder resistance, or should I swap out some of the pieces for others that give better skills (e.g. swapping out the Kadachi Coil which gives Thunder Attack for something else)?

* What are some useful skills for the lance? I've prioritized Guard and Speed Sharpening, but that's about it so far.
TheMightyDrez - Whatever.

User Info: Igueseous

Igueseous
4 weeks ago#2
Lance is best with raw outside of any niche cases where it's a minor difference anyways.
Elemental resistance doesn't really matter, the only real benefit being once you have high enough of a certain ele res you're immune to that blight, not a big help at all but can be nice.
At the point of the game you're at just focus on defense on gear. Keep killing munsters until you have a hard time then farm a set with good defense for where you're at.

For good skills its largely attack boosting skills and guard/guard up, guard up 3 covers most everything in the game and guard up isn't necessary or helpful for 95% of attacks.

User Info: void_lily

void_lily
4 weeks ago#3
TheMightyDrez posted...
* As a lance user, is it worth using status effect weapons (e.g. poison) over elemental weapons (e.g. thunder)? More specifically, if fighting a Barroth which is weak to fire and poison, should I use a fire lance or a poison lance?

For lance you want to focus on raw damage, either weapons that have no element or a hidden one that you don't unlock. This is the case for most weapons in the game besides a few exceptions like dual blades, bow, etc. Raw is simply much stronger in this game than elemental. Since you've made it to the Rotten Vale, the Odogaron lance would be a great choice.

TheMightyDrez posted...
* When choosing armor, should I prioritize the armors innate elemental resistances, or the skills they posses? I don't have a good example here... maybe something like, if I'm fighting Tobi-Kadachi, should I use the Tobi-Kadachi set because it gives high thunder resistance, or should I swap out some of the pieces for others that give better skills (e.g. swapping out the Kadachi Coil which gives Thunder Attack for something else)?

Definitely skills in my opinion. I think it's more important to equip something that has skills that benefit your set rather than equipping something that has high elemental resistance but doesn't provide anything you currently need skill wise for your set. You could always slot the skill in with decorations, but it's much easier to simply use the armour piece with the skill in the first place.

TheMightyDrez posted...
* What are some useful skills for the lance? I've prioritized Guard and Speed Sharpening, but that's about it so far.

Depends on how you want to play lance. You could either go guard lance, prioritising Guard, and for a few monsters Guard Up if you wanted to. Or you could play evade lance with Evade Extender. Other than that just go with your basic attack/affinity boosting skills.
Living monster of the night, you made me what I am today. You don't have to scream and shout, in this silent place

User Info: gba1989

gba1989
4 weeks ago#4
Thunder Res.

Everything else will soon follow.
She played me like a piano - Big Boss, MGS Peacewalker
They played us like a damn fiddle - Kazuhira Miller, MGS Ground Zeroes

User Info: TheSoldierChris

TheSoldierChris
4 weeks ago#5
gba1989 posted...
Thunder Res.

Too op! please nerf!
(It's an inside joke tc)
Ign: TheSoldier hr200 mhw, hr500 mhgen, hr800 mh4u. I main Gs, Cb, Hh, Lbg, Hbg, and Ls.

User Info: SilverKyousuke

SilverKyousuke
4 weeks ago#6
TheSoldierChris posted...
gba1989 posted...
Thunder Res.

Too op! please nerf!
(It's an inside joke tc)

Wasn't Thunder Res bugged to not do anything or something like that in the original MH? That's the joke right?
GT: xXPakkunXx My FC is: 3539-9672-6526
I'm not superstitious. I am, a little stitious.

User Info: TrueArchery

TrueArchery
4 weeks ago#7
No, its about one gfaqs user who complained about ppl not using t res vs boltreaver astalos in mhgu. It escalated and that person is thin skinned so it keeps getting brought up occasionally.

User Info: Rhiethreal

Rhiethreal
4 weeks ago#8
Focus on high raw damage. For the Lance, use Jho lance and later the Taroth Crest Claw.
http://rhiethreal.deviantart.com/

User Info: TheMightyDrez

TheMightyDrez
4 weeks ago#9
Okay, thanks for the advice. I can't yet create either of those lances (Odogaron and Deviljho) but I did switch up my gear to use the closest lance (it's a Carapace Lance) and Guard 3, and it made a massive difference both in terms of chip damage and the general stability of my char.

I gave a test run fighting Anjanath, Tobi-Kadachi, and Pukei-Pukei to see if the lack of elemental and ailment resistance made a big deal, and it didn't seem to.
TheMightyDrez - Whatever.

User Info: DarxWingDuck

DarxWingDuck
3 weeks ago#10
1- no go on status or elemental... high raw.

2- resistances on armor should not be much of a factor. Although elemental blights are nulled once a resistance gets to 20+... you can eat for elemental resistance up large and it adds 15 to all resistances... that's a much better option than changing all your armor because of a resistance. Drachen armor is going to be your go to for just about everything...

3- a guard 1-3 is going to all you need for 95% of the game. Guard Up is useful for several of the end game monsters, specifically behemoth, Kulve, and AT's.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. What to prioritize when creating a build?
  • Topic Archived