• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. Is This Game for Me?

User Info: parasiticleech

parasiticleech
1 month ago#1
I'm not finding anything new that excites me right now and am looking at older games that I missed. I would chosen sekiro but I don't like what I am hearing about it. I'm down to persona 5, Monster Hunter, Spiderman and Divinity 2. I like games that give loot (weapons, armor, whatever) and/or skill trees that drag me along through the game. I like a good challenge but the eventual satisfaction of becoming op. I'm not much for multiplayer. I love the Dark Souls series, rpgs, open world games (did not love Red Dead 2 though - too much horse riding). I certainly like a decent story but, to be frank, it does not matter that much to me. It's all about the combat and loot for me. Oh, and I like a game where a little research is beneficial- makes me feel like I am achieving something. Any help greatly appreciated.

User Info: Crudelitas

Crudelitas
1 month ago#2
MHW is all about the loot. The story is pretty irrelevant. It's probably a bit of a challenge when you're new, but you'll eventually become kinda op. It's very solo friendly most of the time.

It isn't really like Dark Souls or open world games though. There's a handful of locals, that are basically very elaborate arenas, and each mission sends you into one of those arenas to find and take out one or multiple specific monsters. Other monsters in the area will gleefully interfere with your hunt in one way or another.
There is no path to git gud, for gitin' gud is the path.

User Info: Enclosure

Enclosure
1 month ago#3
Nah you never really get OP in mhw. You can get extremely strong and have nearly no difficulty whatsoever assuming even a mediocum amount of skill, but it never really gets to the so-op-literal-facerolling level.
http://imgur.com/wNyX55h.jpg

User Info: Akuro19

Akuro19
1 month ago#4
Enclosure posted...
Nah you never really get OP in mhw. You can get extremely strong and have nearly no difficulty whatsoever assuming even a mediocum amount of skill, but it never really gets to the so-op-literal-facerolling level.

Careful, saying that may trigger an impending war between a certain 3 or 4 posters on this board. It can get dangerous around here.
"Though it's interesting to see monsters killing each other, go ahead and kill them yourself." - Goddess Ilias

User Info: zxxcman

zxxcman
1 month ago#5
Yup, this is for you. Multiplayer co-op is almost mandatory for three monsters tho.
I used to have a good signature, then I got modded for it.
Now I shall try to think of something edgier to put here.

User Info: Symphoenixa

Symphoenixa
1 month ago#6
From your description alone, MHW is a good game for you, yeah.

The main target isn't to beat the story, but to determine your own target for this game.
To learn the weapons, monsters and maps or all of the skills, you need some sort of research, but that's one of the good aspects of MH in general: to learn and to improve in and for any case possible.
You can maximize your sets, plan and create new ones and try them out. Just don't focus too much on the "best" immediately, whether skills or weapons related: make your own experience and see it for yourself. You will improving consecutively and after some time, you'll have your own best setup for any situation. It doesn't matter if it's utility skills or just power ... just find your own way and adapt your skills to your level, not the other way around.
Eventually you'll have put hundreds of hours in this game, don't worry.
And if you're serious about it, then we'll see ya in a (EX) Behemoth and/or AT KaTie room for sure.

If you have any question, then feel free to ask here.

However, I just hope your nickname isn't a hint on how you want to play this game. XD
(Seriously: don't do that. It's one of the worst kinds of hunter you could possible be.)
Rising like a Phoenix, raging like a Cucco!
(Not a native english speaker, so feel free to correct me in a construcive way. I'm very much thankful for that!)

User Info: nebula2

nebula2
1 month ago#7
Enclosure posted...

https://youtu.be/T2nBEUJMB2s

And that's just me. An avarage player lol ;P

@parasiticleech strange as this may sound. I think Assassins Creed Odyssey might be more up your alley as they fit most of what you look up for games.
PSN:Nebuladark, Switch FC:SW-0857-4415-9982,
3DS: FC:0774-5319-1816, ACNL:Nebula from Ygdrasil, MHGenU:Serenade, MHworld:Serenade.

User Info: Enclosure

Enclosure
1 month ago#8
Do you consider that op?
Cuz I don't. Cluster is a pretty simple technique but it still needs to be played right.
http://imgur.com/wNyX55h.jpg

User Info: parasiticleech

parasiticleech
1 month ago#9
Thanks for all the tips, guys. You're definitely the most active board. That's one bonus.

User Info: Free_san

Free_san
1 month ago#10
On your comment about being OP... frankly speaking, a large part of how strong you are comes down to your actual skills in the form of weapon knowledge, monster knowledge, movement, and timing. All those combined with your ingame equipment.

Your first kill of a new monster may take you upwards of 20+ minutes, but once you really know a monster, you can cut that time to 1/4th or less. This is assuming no ingame equipment changing.

Gear helps a lot in MH, but you are more heavily rewarded for really learning the intricacies of each weapon and monster.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. Is This Game for Me?
  • Topic Archived