• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. I thought GS was the most boring, clunky, slow, useless weapon out there...

User Info: Antari18

Antari18
1 month ago#61
Button_Masher_Z posted...
If TCS takes the setup thatbit does currently take, it should be the strongest move for a GS. It should be desirable to hit with it over other moves. It should also be desirable to hit with other moves, and believe it or not, it is. You will often find yourself in situations where you need to take advantage of an opening without fully charging a TCS. It’s not perfect, but without arguing for a complete removal of the three charge design, TCS needs to be valuable any time you can pull it off. I can see strengthening other motion values and weakening TCS, but not removing the quality that TCS is ultimately what you want to hit with. I just can’t see why you want to make that part of the weapon less rewarding.

I don't even have to make a guess. :) World is your first, right? Landing TCS is mere shadow of anything that was rewarding for GS in the past. By changin MV of normal charge they rip off one of the most rewarding mechanic from the series.

A great example of good execution for GS was 4th gen GS with adding another hit after strong charge. It didn't dominate or revolutionize the weapon but gave a new way to dish out more damage.

In World for GS they didn't do the same. They throw out of the window everything from the past that worked just fine and make TCS go to option for any situation. It completely dominated every aspect of GS playstyle. That's an example of bad execution.

I don't even wanna guess the number of hours I played with GS throughout the series. It's really sad they didn't left even small window for using it the old way. But that's Crapcom we're talking about. They have no idea how to balance things.

User Info: Level_99_E-Girl

Level_99_E-Girl
1 month ago#62
lol
Boosted Support main :^)

User Info: Enclosure

Enclosure
1 month ago#63
I think you're getting a little to focused on "meta" strats. All weapons have a preferred style because its proven to be stronger, but that doesn't mean other ways are ineffective.
Besides, things change over time. In the beginning, bow was all about a raw and then abusing wall shot. Elemental evolved later. GS might favor TCS, but aerial ledge spam is both stronger and gaining tract, albielt more locationally limited in usage.

Edit: kinda went on a ramble but the point is that you're perfectly able to play the style you want. It just might not be the ideal in his iteration of the game. I think its unreasonable to expect a game to either never change, or have changes always be perfectly balanced against existing aspects.
http://imgur.com/wNyX55h.jpg

User Info: DukeLukewarm

DukeLukewarm
1 month ago#64
Enclosure posted...
I think you're getting a little to focused on "meta" strats. All weapons have a preferred style because its proven to be stronger, but that doesn't mean other ways are ineffective.

yeah nah f*** off with that s***

User Info: Button_Masher_Z

Button_Masher_Z
1 month ago#65
Antari18 posted...
Button_Masher_Z posted...
If TCS takes the setup thatbit does currently take, it should be the strongest move for a GS. It should be desirable to hit with it over other moves. It should also be desirable to hit with other moves, and believe it or not, it is. You will often find yourself in situations where you need to take advantage of an opening without fully charging a TCS. It’s not perfect, but without arguing for a complete removal of the three charge design, TCS needs to be valuable any time you can pull it off. I can see strengthening other motion values and weakening TCS, but not removing the quality that TCS is ultimately what you want to hit with. I just can’t see why you want to make that part of the weapon less rewarding.

I don't even have to make a guess. :) World is your first, right? Landing TCS is mere shadow of anything that was rewarding for GS in the past. By changin MV of normal charge they rip off one of the most rewarding mechanic from the series.

A great example of good execution for GS was 4th gen GS with adding another hit after strong charge. It didn't dominate or revolutionize the weapon but gave a new way to dish out more damage.

In World for GS they didn't do the same. They throw out of the window everything from the past that worked just fine and make TCS go to option for any situation. It completely dominated every aspect of GS playstyle. That's an example of bad execution.

I don't even wanna guess the number of hours I played with GS throughout the series. It's really sad they didn't left even small window for using it the old way. But that's Crapcom we're talking about. They have no idea how to balance things.

Why do you think I keep mentioning removing all but one charge to make it more like previous mh games? World is my first, but you are putting yourself in a stark limbo that makes no sense comparing the two styles of GS. The old playstyle isn’t totally abandoned either, you still sheath and place yourself intelligently, you just also have to sit there longer, and end up with higher damage when you do score the hit.
Support for optimism: Nearly everyone I meet is some poor sod who doesn't realize what they've got, and I'm the worst offender.
We all learn when we lose it.

User Info: LonelyGaruga

LonelyGaruga
1 month ago#66
Antari18 posted...

I get what you're saying here, and it's true. But this isn't just true of GS, it's true for the majority of the weapons in MHW. Very few of them play anything like they used to, and virtually none of them are as rewarding to play as they used to be. Yesterday while I was searching JP stuff I put "MHW 徳田" (Tokuda, the director of MHW, who never directed a MH prior to World) in the Google search engine and every autocompleted entry involved the word for "Incompetent". There are Twitter # tags and even the JP wiki has plenty written on it about how disliked Tokuda is.

GS is just a microcosm of all the problems that plague MHW, and the MVs of GS' moveset is just one part of all the issues, as DukeLukewarm has already gone over. A large amount of the game would have to be revamped entirely to bring GS in line to make it "like older games, but with new tools". MHW is just a poorly executed game in general, and GS is one of the myriad victims to this execution.

User Info: Caroniver

Caroniver
1 month ago#67
LonelyGaruga posted...
I get what you're saying here, and it's true. But this isn't just true of GS, it's true for the majority of the weapons in MHW. Very few of them play anything like they used to, and virtually none of them are as rewarding to play as they used to be. Yesterday while I was searching JP stuff I put "MHW 徳田" (Tokuda, the director of MHW, who never directed a MH prior to World) in the Google search engine and every autocompleted entry involved the word for "Incompetent". There are Twitter # tags and even the JP wiki has plenty written on it about how disliked Tokuda is.

Massive bruh moment.

Anyway, on the note of weapons playing completely differently
CB became SAED spam because in previous games, SAED would uncharge your shield. Since it doesn't in World, and you can charge your phials with one O charge and another attack or 2 (just the one O charge if you're running Focus), it essentially becomes
O charge>Charge phials>Charge shield>O charge>Charge phials>Charge sword>SAED>O charge>SAED>O charge>SAED>O charge>SAED against a lot of monsters.

LS is Foresight and Helmbreaker spam.
Mixer of Mega Dash Juices, slayer of giant monsters.
Self-proclaimed leader of the Tri Hards. http://tinyurl.com/y8s94446

User Info: TrueArchery

TrueArchery
4 weeks ago#68
... You never fully charge with just one charged O.

The no focus cycle is charge O then Tri then charge O.
The focus cycle is Tri (or forward + Tri) then charged O then Tri.

The charging shield or sword moves can ofc be used as a substitute for other Tri attacks.

Doesnt change the main point though.

User Info: Enclosure

Enclosure
4 weeks ago#69
With focus i prefer using the lunging slash as an opener, just for the extra distance, on the common case where im doing it as im catching up to the monster.

Then charged O as usual.

Then last it i do a O again because its easy to mash and the roundhouse swing most easily connects even if the monster moves by the end of the sequence.
http://imgur.com/wNyX55h.jpg
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. I thought GS was the most boring, clunky, slow, useless weapon out there...
  • Topic Archived