• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. A Valid Argument Against Stun

User Info: takeiteasy

takeiteasy
1 month ago#1
I have looked at several forums and there are many people complaining about stun. To my surprise, people defend this mechanic, claiming that its fair punishment for a lack of skill, since the stun effect only triggers if you get hit several times in a row, which is, apparently, always your own fault (I disagree with this, but this is not my point). Their argument goes as follows:

Premise A: Monster Hunter World is a 100% skill based game (again, disagree with this, but concede for the sake of argument)

Premise B: Stun is a mechanic the game uses to punish you for a lack of skill

Conclusion: Stun is fair

My counter-point is this: The hits you take leading up to the actual stun effect are themselves already a punishment for a lack of skill. Hence, the "unskilled" player is being punished twice. This is not fair. Because taking hits is a form of punishment for lack of skill in itself, no further penalties ought to be required. Therefore, the skill-based argument against the unfairness of stun is invalid.

User Info: UnlessJack

UnlessJack
1 month ago#2
Stun seems fair enough to me. Play better, equip stun resist, or just deal with it.
I feel Futurama was, is, and always will be underappreciated...

User Info: Bananamatic

Bananamatic
1 month ago#3
it's fair but it's not fun with how long is it and how mashing makes barely a difference (and stun values are extremely arbitrary, some monsters stun in 2 hits and some practically can't stun you like Nergigante)

and then you have the event kulu-ya-ku on steroids who can actually stun in 1 hit

User Info: Semeki

Semeki
1 month ago#4
It has been said theres a stun meter on the player. One hit wont stun you, a 2nd hit might. If you didnt learn your mistake from the 1st hit, you get punished on the 2nd. Simple as that.

Dont overthink it. Take it easy.
"Simple as that."
The darkest shadows are cast by the brightest light.

User Info: takeiteasy

takeiteasy
1 month ago#5
I posted a reasoned argument. Please respond with a reasoned argument, in stead of positing a conclusion without any explanation.

User Info: Symphoenixa

Symphoenixa
1 month ago#6
Even if Stun moment can be quite frustrating, the best solution for it is that you just have to learn from your mistakes, learn the monster's movements and improve your prediction.
So Stun isn't even the problem in MHW, because the unnatural long tremor times from some monsters steal all the spotlight in that case.
Even if for example Deviljho can cause a devastating tremor, it isn't a earthquake with Richter magnitude scale of 5 ... *sigh*
Rising like a Phoenix, raging like a Cucco!
(Not a native english speaker, so feel free to correct me in a construcive way. I'm very much thankful for that! ^^)

User Info: Great_Khan

Great_Khan
1 month ago#7
The three lives thing makes it ok. 90% of the time you deserve it/can predict when it's coming. The 10% where something hits you out of a roar/tremor/aura effect into an infinite stun chain death won't happen 3 times in the 15 minutes the fight lasts, so sure, it can be bulls***, but it is typically not going to DESTROY a hunt.

Super Kulu is total horses*** though.

In regards to your argument, why shouldn't you be doubly punished for f***ing up super bad? Regular damage is a warning, if you keep making mistakes in succession it's totally fair for the game to inflict additional punishment.

User Info: TrueArchery

TrueArchery
1 month ago#8
The damage you take is the punishment for a mistake, true.

And stun is the punishment for making multiple mistakes in a short span of time. It doesn't punish that mistake, it punishes the fact that you made a couple in a row.

User Info: Bananamatic

Bananamatic
1 month ago#9
Great_Khan posted...
In regards to your argument, why shouldn't you be doubly punished for f***ing up super bad? Regular damage is a warning, if you keep making mistakes in succession it's totally fair for the game to inflict additional punishment.

Because "super bad" varies from monster to monster, it ranges from "how did you get hit that much without dying" to "you got hit twice in 30 seconds"
It feels more like a disabling status that some monsters inflict (like paralysis) than a general mechanic

Some monsters have incredibly low stun despite being massive like Behemoth, Vaal and Nerg, you could remove it from them entirely and it would make no difference, for some it's basically a core mechanic like Diablos or Teostra

User Info: Enclosure

Enclosure
1 month ago#10
I think some monsters have absurdly high stun coefficients that are kinda bs, but the mechanic itself is fine.
http://imgur.com/wNyX55h.jpg
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. A Valid Argument Against Stun
  • Topic Archived