• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. Possible weapon tier list now?

User Info: TEzeon431

TEzeon431
1 month ago#1
This is completely based on my own conjecture. Feel free to step in at any time and tell me how wrong I am about this...

S:
HBG
LS >/= Bow

A+
GS
SA
CB

A
DB
Hammer
Lance

B+
SnS
IG
HH

B
GL
LBG

User Info: SwordsmanOrion

SwordsmanOrion
1 month ago#2
Gunlance might not be top tier (It never is) but in MHW it is definitely better than Hunting Horn by a large margin.
"Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare."

User Info: Unbound-King

Unbound-King
1 month ago#3
From my perspective, the tiers weapons fall into are dependant not only on their damage potential if played decently to optimally, but also how much of a learning curve there is for each of them to get to that point.

S =
HBG for Glutton, Cluster
Bow over LS for pretty much everything except maybe Anshen, Seeker of Forests.
LS under Bow for everything except Anshen, Seeker of Forests.

A+ =
Aerial GS/Hammer
DBs w/Elemental weaknesses

A =
CB for general SAED spam
GL for a decent tank.
LBG for N2RF/TBS

B+ =
IG
SnS
Lance

B =
HH
SA

A lot of the things from B+ down just don't have enough tools available or damage to match up with the things above. You end up having to put a lot more work into learning to play them and even then their damage output at optimal levels is about as close as it'll get to playing higher tiered weapons even decently.
Though that's probably just me not knowing how to play the ones lower on the list to their best effect.
GT: Sho Minamimotto PSN: Azure_Reaper8 3Ds FC: 0662-2616-5710
I prefer casual games. Let's play! [I fear vacuums and the ocean and I'm a Scrublord. I suck!]

TEzeon431
1 month ago#4
Unbound-King posted...
but also how much of a learning curve there is for each of them to get to that point.

Why do you consider that a factor? If it takes a while to master a weapon, then it may not be for everyone, but once you've reached that point I don't see what the problem would be.

LS for example is easy to pickup but hard to really master.

User Info: corrin6657

corrin6657
1 month ago#5
HH is an S tier weapon for multiplayer hunt

TEzeon431
1 month ago#6
corrin6657 posted...
HH is an S tier weapon for multiplayer hunt

I don't know about S tier, but its definitely a lot better in MP.
Its a tad slow in Solo though.

Unbound-King posted...
Bow over LS for pretty much everything except maybe Anshen, Seeker of Forests.

LS is also better against Behemoth. Honestly, LS made a huge comeback recently with some of the Gamma armors, Drachen set, KT weapons, and some of the recent events like AT Xeno/EX Behemoth/Ancient Leshen. Its not too hard to maintain red spirit meter and keep on attacking with Foresight Slashes and Spirit Helm Breakers. The consistency coupled with the ability to counter virtually any move makes it a lot stronger for the tougher content in the game.

Unbound-King
1 month ago#7
TEzeon431 posted...
Unbound-King posted...
but also how much of a learning curve there is for each of them to get to that point.

Why do you consider that a factor? If it takes a while to master a weapon, then it may not be for everyone, but once you've reached that point I don't see what the problem would be.

LS for example is easy to pickup but hard to really master.

Simple.
It's about investments versus returns.
You could put a lot of time in to become an absolute dunklord with SnS or you could put a comparatively smaller amount of time into becoming just decent with a Bow. And you'd probably still see faster kill times with the Bow than you would with SnS, plus there'd still be room to improve with the Bow.

The skill ceiling for learning and mastering SnS dunking is relatively high compared to just learning how to quickly dash-shot with the Bow and keeping on the target's weakpoints.
So, in a case like this, the SnS is a lower tier than the Bow since you have to put a lot more effort and work in to even just keep up in terms of damage.

It's kinda the same case with fighting game characters.
You can obviously become an unstoppable god beast with any character if you just play right with enough practice and knowledge on matchups.

But there'll always be characters or in this case weapons with damage/mechanics or a lack thereof who just fall behind and don't feel like they're worth putting the time into learning because of how big a gap there is between them and everyone else on the roster and how much extra they've gotta get to keep up.

Though again, that's probably just inner me trying to justify why I suck ass with most if not all the weapons.
I prefer casual games. Let's play! [I fear vacuums and the ocean and I'm a Scrublord. I suck!]

TEzeon431
1 month ago#8
Unbound-King posted...
Simple.
It's about investments versus returns.
You could put a lot of time in to become an absolute dunklord with SnS or you could put a comparatively smaller amount of time into becoming just decent with a Bow. And you'd probably still see faster kill times with the Bow than you would with SnS, plus there'd still be room to improve with the Bow.

The skill ceiling for learning and mastering SnS dunking is relatively high compared to just learning how to quickly dash-shot with the Bow and keeping on the target's weakpoints.
So, in a case like this, the SnS is a lower tier than the Bow since you have to put a lot more effort and work in to even just keep up in terms of damage.

Sure enough, but I don't think the Bow and SnS is a fair comparison because the Bow has consistently been one of the strongest weapons in World since day one and SnS has only recently been on the rise due to the Leshen fight.

I would argue that the LS is just as easy to pick up as a Bow, but when mastered, the LS can overcome the Bow whereas without much practice, the Bow will outshine the LS. The Bow is kind of a one trick pony. And while there hasn't really been much along the lines of content that really hinders the Bow, recent events like EX Behemoth and Ancient Leshen are a bit more favorable to other playstyles than just "dodge and shoot".

Unbound-King
1 month ago#9
TEzeon431 posted...
Sure enough, but I don't think the Bow and SnS is a fair comparison because the Bow has consistently been one of the strongest weapons in World since day one and SnS has only recently been on the rise due to the Leshen fight.

Well, we are talkin' about tiers here.
SnS players have always existed, they didn't just start popping up when Anshen did, though he may've pushed some players to try it when they otherwise wouldn't. There's usually a few SnS gods popping up who can get those things like sub 25 or lower Behemoth EX or sub 5 AT Elders.

With that being said, SnS being a better matchup than Bow and several other weapons for Anshen, essentially one out of like 30+ monsters doesn't really mean it doesn't deserve its current placement in my opinion.
If you're saying we need more time and monsters to help flesh out the details, then I'm not sure what point there is if any in asking for a tier list at this time.

TEzeon431 posted...
I would argue that the LS is just as easy to pick up as a Bow, but when mastered, the LS can overcome the Bow whereas without much practice, the Bow will outshine the LS. The Bow is kind of a one trick pony. And while there hasn't really been much along the lines of content that really hinders the Bow, recent events like EX Behemoth and Ancient Leshen are a bit more favorable to other playstyles than just "dodge and shoot".

Bow destroys Behemoth EX with a lot more ease than the majority of weapons, last I checked. The only thing that really caught up with it was maybe LS, and the thing that surpasses it is a squad of Cluster bombers.

User Info: MegalaserLAWS

MegalaserLAWS
1 month ago#10
TEzeon431 posted...
This is completely based on my own conjecture. Feel free to step in at any time and tell me how wrong I am about this...

S:
HBG
LS >/= Bow

A+
GS
SA
CB

A
DB
Hammer
Lance

B+
SnS
IG
HH

B
GL
LBG

They only one I disagree with is SA being too high. It does good damage and range but that's it. I like them but they feel like punching bag only at times.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. Possible weapon tier list now?
  • Topic Archived