You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. I thought DLC was gonna be free

User Info: Sirk

Sirk
1 week ago#31
Viking_Mudcrap posted...
DLC stands for Downloadable Content.

An expansion is a Downloadable Content. Just because you rename something doesn't make it something else.

It's still DLC.

Did you seriously think an entire expansion to a game --- the difference between MH4 and MH4U, or MHGen and MHGU --- would be free? Good God.

Nom nom I love tasty bait
It takes both rain and shine to make a rainbow.
Did you miss all the stickers you could buy from the store? Those aren't free same goes for the gestures and other stuff....
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn255/5EMTwE/GFaqs/Houston.jpg

User Info: synklare

synklare
1 week ago#33
I think one the funniest things I remember them saying is that, they're not running MHW as a 'Game as a service'.

Whilst you can't exactly buy anything in-game or get a specific currency via real money to unlock things, it still functions quite similarly to a GaaS.

Focus on events / free updates
Storefront available with over 70 items.

It's essentially a GaaS-lite.

That being said, it's definitely more forgivable. You can't exactly mitigate any form of grinding by coughing up cash.

More akin to something like the Overwatch model, without the lootboxes.

Either way, paid content like Iceborne is 100% acceptable given the history of the series and the general scope of what Iceborne is touted to be.

It's not some form of light DLC that adds minor QoL stuff and a few additions, it's akin to an expansion. We'll see when it releases anyway.
For Honor, Elite Dangerous & Anthem Discord - https://discord.gg/GduTUBB
The Savage Legion

User Info: furamuuru

furamuuru
1 week ago#34
DarxWingDuck posted...
ThiefKorin posted...
DarxWingDuck posted...
Button_Masher_Z posted...
He's obviously talking about Iceborne.

That doesn't seem that obvious.

They've had lots of free updates. A big expansion isn't really under the same umbrella imo.

Do we have any info on the iceborne expansion?

Coming this fall and it's not free.
More story
New weapons
New maps
New monsters
New monster difficulty level

That's the basics.

Not all content is gonna be free, and the amount that's going into this expansion should be paid for. You've gotten plenty of free items and events.

User Info: SilverHawke27

SilverHawke27
1 week ago#35
Should be pretty damned grateful they are giving us a G-Rank addition to this World.

And not releasing an entirely new physical/digital game with G-Rank built in. And no carryover of characters from this version.
"Sa souvraya niende misain ye."
PSN: CrysisZephyr ~~~R.I.P - Burt Reynolds (9/6/18)~~~
SilverHawke27 posted...
Should be pretty damned grateful they are giving us a G-Rank addition to this World.

And not releasing an entirely new physical/digital game with G-Rank built in. And no carryover of characters from this version.

Tbh, no, I’m not grateful, I’m satisfied though. What they’re doing is what’s expected as far as I’m concerned. Rebuying a game because it has new content is a no go. Buying an expansion is fine though.

Unless it’s the same price it would have been otherwise, but that’s not great either, because that puts the value of the game solely in having it earlier than the full release. That strategy is a good way to kill the sales of the first version, and let people forget when the ultimate comes around.
Support for optimism: Nearly everyone I meet is some poor sod who doesn't realize what they've got, and I'm the worst offender.
We all learn when we lose it.

User Info: DemocracyV2

DemocracyV2
1 week ago#37
IIIPowerIII posted...
SilverHawke27 posted...
He is technically right.

Anything you download via update or PS store IS downloadable content.

Up until now it's all be free DLC, some paid stuff in the Store.

Iceborne is download content, but it's an expansion, which does make it different. It's G-Rank.

And G-Rank is usually an entirely separate game, as I understand it. Under Portable, it was a separate cartridge or purchased download. I don't believe they ever let you buy it and add to your existing game.

Might as well get used to it. G-Rank is going to be paid DLC as long as MH is on consoles.
pretty sure you'll have a physical version of it too like every expansion of other game so it kill his dlc definition.

No it doesnt. As long as it is available to download after owning the base game, It is DLC.

DLC is downloadable content. It doesn't matter what you think it is. If you can download it, It's DLC.

User Info: Rhiethreal

Rhiethreal
1 week ago#38
DemocracyV2 posted...
If you can download it, It's DLC.

Not if they also offer a physical version of it.
http://rhiethreal.deviantart.com/

User Info: DemocracyV2

DemocracyV2
1 week ago#39
Rhiethreal posted...
DemocracyV2 posted...
If you can download it, It's DLC.

Not if they also offer a physical version of it.

If I purchase something digital and I download it and it is content, It is DLC.

And in this day in age, If they do make a Iceborne bundle, It will come with a code for the Expansion like every modern game does these days.
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: tezzilla

tezzilla
1 week ago#40
In all past MH 3ds games and switch all dlc is free but since its adding "master" rank I'm guessing equivilant I'd g rank from the past, is basically another game.

Like mh4 mh4u mhgen mhgu etc...
Those we have always have to buy and either start fresh again or data transfer.

So I'm guessing iceborne is mhw version of mhwu
"I can understand you wanting to kill yourself, but can't you think of another way to commit suicide?" Duo Maxwell
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. I thought DLC was gonna be free