• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. Iron Katana 3 or First Dance 1?

User Info: Revocation68

Revocation68
1 week ago#1
New to the game, not sure which upgrade path to pick?

It looks like Iron Katana 3 has better sharpness but First Dance 1 has 15% affinity. What is affinity? Attack is 330 for both

Help?

User Info: Snazzy21

Snazzy21
1 week ago#2
Revocation68 posted...

It looks like Iron Katana 3 has better sharpness but First Dance 1 has 15% affinity. What is affinity? Attack is 330 for both

Help?

Affinity is basically crit chance, so 15% chance to do 1.25x damage.

The opposite is true with anything with negative affinity. But they usually come with high damage to compensate.
3DS Friend code 4613-7498-1738

User Info: zxxcman

zxxcman
1 week ago#3
Affinity is the chance to do a critical hit, which deals 25% extra damage (30/35/40% with Crit boost).

As to which to use, whichever you'd prefer, really. You could go with making both if you want, they'll end up obsolete either way.
I used to have a good signature, then I got modded for it.
Now I shall try to think of something edgier to put here.

User Info: Button_Masher_Z

Button_Masher_Z
1 week ago#4
Affinity is a chance for a 25% damage increase.

Sharpness is a big deal, getting better sharpness levels prevents weapons from bouncing off of certain monster parts, and increases damage dealt. I’d personally pick sharpness, as 15% affinity is on average 0.15 x 0.25 x weapon damage bonus, and an additional sharpness level is usually more than that, doesn’t rely on chance, and makes you less likely to deflect, which is a serious issue for longsword.
Support for optimism: Nearly everyone I meet is some poor sod who doesn't realize what they've got, and I'm the worst offender.
We all learn when we lose it.

Revocation68
1 week ago#5
Snazzy21 posted...
Revocation68 posted...

Help?

Affinity is basically crit chance, so 15% chance to do 1.25x damage.

The opposite is true with anything with negative affinity. But they usually come with high damage to compensate.

Okay, well, should I stay on Ore Tree (Iron Katana 3) and see it through, or should I go to Kulu Ya Ku Tree and go with First Dance 1?

Revocation68
1 week ago#6
Button_Masher_Z posted...
Affinity is a chance for a 25% damage increase.

Sharpness is a big deal, getting better sharpness levels prevents weapons from bouncing off of certain monster parts, and increases damage dealt. I’d personally pick sharpness, as 15% affinity is on average 0.15 x 0.25 x weapon damage bonus, and an additional sharpness level is usually more than that, doesn’t rely on chance, and makes you less likely to deflect, which is a serious issue for longsword.

Thank you

Button_Masher_Z
1 week ago#7
If you have the patience for it, you should do some arena quests. Divine slasher will be your besg option for LS for a good portion of the game, until you meet deviljho and kulve.
Support for optimism: Nearly everyone I meet is some poor sod who doesn't realize what they've got, and I'm the worst offender.

User Info: LonelyGaruga

LonelyGaruga
1 week ago#8
Alternatively, just stick with Ore until you reach Nergigante. Nergigante weapons upgrade from the Ore weapons, and are pretty strong for when you're doing your first playthrough and fairly easy to acquire as well.

Button_Masher_Z
1 week ago#9
LonelyGaruga posted...
Alternatively, just stick with Ore until you reach Nergigante. Nergigante weapons upgrade from the Ore weapons, and are pretty strong for when you're doing your first playthrough and fairly easy to acquire as well.

Absolutely. True for all the weapons except maybe ranged, maybe DBs.

User Info: Unbound-King

Unbound-King
1 week ago#10
Button_Masher_Z posted...
LonelyGaruga posted...

Absolutely. True for all the weapons except maybe ranged, maybe DBs.

Decimation Claws hold up fairly well for most of the regular stuff until ya' start hitting AT mons, that's when you really wanna sit down and grind for elemental bulls*** if you haven't already.

Wrathful Predation holds up even better since you'll likely have things like Kush B Chest/Death Stench B Legs and Handi Charm 1/2 available around then. The negative affinity on them is more or less offset by the giant ass amount of Raw and White Sharpness it gets, though I suppose that applies to many of the weapons as far as Jho's tree is concerned.

Of course, Jho's quite a ways off from TC for now, but they're definitely worthwhile options when they become available, even better that they're just their own little line that doesn't need any real prior mats.
GT: Sho Minamimotto PSN: Azure_Reaper8 3Ds FC: 0662-2616-5710
I prefer casual games. Let's play! [I fear vacuums and the ocean and I'm a Scrublord. I suck!]
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. Iron Katana 3 or First Dance 1?
  • Topic Archived