You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. Looking for a new weapon after spending 100+ hours with Insect Glaive - LS? Bow?

User Info: JustinMeme

JustinMeme
1 week ago#11
Rhiethreal posted...
Jtrain89 posted...
I spent a lot of the fights just running stupidly after the monster trying to fill up my Phials.

Charged O into O+T

^do that twice and your phials should be red
Store it then put in your shield

Do it twice more then store it
Do it twice more to turn your phials red

At that point you should have a charged shield and full phials with red outlines. Easy-peasy and you shouldn't feel like an idiot getting to that point.

From there, you can just SAED when the opportunity presents itself, then immediately store your phials again because of the red outline, letting you toss out another SAED immediately or just instantly recharge your shield if the charge has worn off.

Basically, the CB seems way more complicated than it really is.

Is there any point to charging up your sword when you just do SAED spam with a charged shield?
Yes my name is reallyJustin and yes my last name is really Meme I don't care what the haters say Memes are part of my DNA and you can't take that away frome me!

User Info: Rhiethreal

Rhiethreal
1 week ago#12
Jtrain89 posted...
Rhiethreal posted...
Jtrain89 posted...
I spent a lot of the fights just running stupidly after the monster trying to fill up my Phials.

Charged O into O+T

^do that twice and your phials should be red
Store it then put in your shield

Do it twice more then store it
Do it twice more to turn your phials red

At that point you should have a charged shield and full phials with red outlines. Easy-peasy and you shouldn't feel like an idiot getting to that point.

From there, you can just SAED when the opportunity presents itself, then immediately store your phials again because of the red outline, letting you toss out another SAED immediately or just instantly recharge your shield if the charge has worn off.

Basically, the CB seems way more complicated than it really is.

Hm that does sound easy as hell. I haven't been banking phials like that. Maybe I'll have to try it again tonight. Thanks for the tips!

It really is, and you're welcome.

And obviously, once you have those basics down you can start incorporating the other moves as well. Personally, I found it boring because it was too straight forward. I prefer the SA because of how involved it is.

JustinMeme posted...
Is there any point to charging up your sword when you just do SAED spam with a charged shield?

Stops your sword from bouncing, which is really isn't an issue most of the time if you aren't doing the charged O into a monster's armored parts.

Placid01 posted...
except the monster is moving and attacking during all that.

Obviously, but you are going to have to deal with that regardless of which weapon you are using.
http://rhiethreal.deviantart.com/
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: Lilstormcloud

Lilstormcloud
1 week ago#13
I've mained the IG for over 400 hours.
Then I experimented with every other weapon for the next 100 and settled on the charge blade.

The long sword was boring and not very mobile without evade extender.
The bow was kind of hard to build for with decos and damage wasn't that great.

As an IG user I'm sure you've had instances while fighting Teo when you're doing an air attack trying to mount the thing and it suddenly decides good time to supernova?

So for the new weapon I wanted a shield and slot guard up to block attacks.
I liked the gunlance, but just hated how it looks on the character when sheathed.

The charge blade was best in the end because of how mobile it was on the ground (mobility is important after using IG for so long), and playing around with the guard points have been surprisingly engaging.

User Info: Jtrain89

Jtrain89
1 week ago#14
Lilstormcloud posted...
I've mained the IG for over 400 hours.
Then I experimented with every other weapon for the next 100 and settled on the charge blade.

The long sword was boring and not very mobile without evade extender.
The bow was kind of hard to build for with decos and damage wasn't that great.

As an IG user I'm sure you've had instances while fighting Teo when you're doing an air attack trying to mount the thing and it suddenly decides good time to supernova?

So for the new weapon I wanted a shield and slot guard up to block attacks.
I liked the gunlance, but just hated how it looks on the character when sheathed.

The charge blade was best in the end because of how mobile it was on the ground (mobility is important after using IG for so long), and playing around with the guard points have been surprisingly engaging.

Maybe I'll stick with the Charge Blade. Sounds like I'm destined to lol. Especially with this post because you came fromt he same boat as me except with a lot more hours in IG. I just found myself running around a lot desperately trying to fill my phials. Maybe I just need more practice!
PSN: JJJTrain1989
Currently Playing: Monster Hunter World, Assassin's Creed: Odyssey, Bloodborne

User Info: Lilstormcloud

Lilstormcloud
1 week ago#15
I watch the following video before starting to learn some of the basics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_whBZGkXmc

Also if you slot in 3 focus jewels it speeds up the charging.
Triangle + circle -> forward slash
Hold circle charge -> double slash
1 combo should give full phials.

User Info: Slizzard95

Slizzard95
1 week ago#16
I'm 220 hours in and switch between IG, lbg, dual blades and hunting horn
PSN: viralzone

User Info: Somedude9

Somedude9
1 week ago#17
I’ve got 2 friends, both of which mained IG for most of the base game(up to tempered Kirin), when they both got off of IG they couldn’t stand playing anything else because “it lacked mobility”, plus they got tremored out of everything which I thouroughly enjoyed(and laughed at their asses). Eventually one guy quit playing MHW all together because other than IG he said, “the movement speed and attack speed is BS”. And the other guy actually got used to playing on the ground. He went with longsword and hammer.

Longsword is the 2nd weapon I main, my first is CB. Longswords movement speed and attacks are fairly fast compared to other weapon types. Get used to positioning properly and timing for foresight slashes and you’ll be fairly surprised by how well you can stick to the monsters face without getting smashed.

I don’t play hammer but from what my friend said, he likes it because you get big damage hits like the Greatsword but a lot more maneuverability.

Just understand that you have to sheath your weapon to “chase” the monster down for almost all weapon types. You’re just not gonna cover ground as quickly as IG vaults.

User Info: MegalaserLAWS

MegalaserLAWS
1 week ago#18
Always happy to convince somebody to join the longsword master race. Best all around weapon in the game minus the broke stuff. Great defense, offense, range,and speed. Easily acquired top end gear( deviljho calamity). A little s***ty for elements or status though(kjarr sword decay for dragon but that's about it). Another good thing is easy targeting for breakable parts.

The biggest problem is that the spirit gauge color damage boost only effects raw damage and that helm splitters multiply element damage by 0.3 so you need a metric ton of element to make element worthwhile. Kjarr sword decay has high element but still maintains respectable 205 raw and good affinity so it works irregardless. Devijho has element but it's mostly about its 230 raw. Divine slasher is great too and boasts 231(with elementless) raw but no element. Taroth sword fire works well with peak performance builds.

Status just generally sucks with long sword because capcom just gave use weak raw or sharpness on all those weapons. Para, poison, sleep are garbage. Kjarr sword magma(blast weapon) is alright but held back by blue sharpness. If it had 10 or 20 more raw it would be a beast but it falls shy of the other stuff mentioned.
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: Ad-vice

Ad-vice
1 week ago#19
For an easier time with CB phial management use Focus+3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfJbDnJZ48I

User Info: EmoBanger69

EmoBanger69
6 days ago#20
If it's between bow and longsword, I'd vote for bow cuz I like it more, however it's more build/deco dependent to really shine than other weapons are.

I mean if you want something really different than the IG then I's say Greatsword or Hammer just for the drastically different play style. Going from uber nimble to being forced to slow down and play more methodically could e refreshing, give you the chance to learn even more about monster's patterns and such.

If not those than either the gunlance or charge blade for something still different but with an equally high imo "cool" factor.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. Looking for a new weapon after spending 100+ hours with Insect Glaive - LS? Bow?