• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. Looking for a new weapon after spending 100+ hours with Insect Glaive - LS? Bow?

User Info: Jtrain89

Jtrain89
2 months ago#1
But I'll never forget about you, sweet, sweet Insect-y Glaive friend...

One of my favorite weapons in any game ever, besides maybe like Greatsword in Dark Souls 2, or Herald Curved Greatsword in Dark Souls 3.

And I look forward to using the IG for end game stuff as well, and making an awesome, perfected endgame IG build.

But first...

I want to try a new weapon to take with me as I journey up to HR100. I'd like to be able to main 2 weapons, and a new weapon would keep the game fresh for me.

I tried Charge Blade. Great weapon, but I just wasn't feeling it. I felt like CB was basically just prepping for SAED. I didn't really enjoy the in-between stuff, but it's HIGHLY possible that I just need to use it more. Still, I'm frustrated with the weapon for now--I'm going to set it down and come back to it later.

Lance was fun, but I just don't think it's for me... Yet. Another weapon I'll come back to later.

My current top choices are Bow and Longsword.

Longsword just melts monsters but seems somewhat boring. Maybe it'll become more fun when I master the foresight slash. Do you guys have any thoughts/opinions/tips on the good ol' LS?

The other weapon I'm looking at is Bow. The Bows just look badass in this game. And I haven't really tried a ranged weapon yet. Plus, I heard this thing just wrecks b****es. I like the idea of being a IG/Bow main. Any thoughts/opinions/tips on bow?

I'm also considering Great Sword and Heavy Bowgun. Those look fun as well.

I know you guys are way ahead of me, and busy discussing end game stuff and the new Geralt content and all the stuff I'm not quite at yet. Totally understandable. So any help at all would be appreciated! Trying to find a new weapon I love so I can get up there to where ya'll are.
PSN: JJJTrain1989
Currently Playing: Monster Hunter World, Assassin's Creed: Odyssey, Bloodborne

User Info: Rhiethreal

Rhiethreal
2 months ago#2
SA.
http://rhiethreal.deviantart.com/

Jtrain89
2 months ago#3
Rhiethreal posted...
SA.

I hear a lot of people talking about SA. I used it a few times back in LR. Might be worth another visit now that I'm somewhat more skilled than I was back then.

User Info: Unbound-King

Unbound-King
2 months ago#4
Jtrain89 posted...
Rhiethreal posted...
SA.

I hear a lot of people talking about SA. I used it a few times back in LR. Might be worth another visit now that I'm somewhat more skilled than I was back then.

SA's definitely one of the more skill based weapons.
You have next to no real defensive options so you gotta focus on spacing/taking advantage when you can, plus you also have to manage your meter.
It's a bit too much for me compared to something like Charge Blade.
GT: Sho Minamimotto PSN: Azure_Reaper8 3Ds FC: 0662-2616-5710
I prefer casual games. Let's play! [I fear vacuums and the ocean and I'm a Scrublord. I suck!]

Rhiethreal
2 months ago#5
Unbound-King posted...
plus you also have to manage your meter.

Both of them.

Jtrain89
2 months ago#6
Unbound-King posted...
Jtrain89 posted...
Rhiethreal posted...
SA.

SA's definitely one of the more skill based weapons.
You have next to no real defensive options so you gotta focus on spacing/taking advantage when you can, plus you also have to manage your meter.
It's a bit too much for me compared to something like Charge Blade.

I don't know why, I just wasn't feeling Charge Blade. Like I said, it's probably due to me needing more practice. I spent a lot of the fights just running stupidly after the monster trying to fill up my Phials. It just seemed like a lot of maintenance and upkeep. Landing the SAED was amazing, but I wasn't very good with the in between stuff; I felt like it lacked mobility, but maybe I just wasn't good at the Slide Slash. I'll come back to it someday!

User Info: Semeki

Semeki
2 months ago#7
GS, wack the monsters a few times and it's dead before you know it
The darkest shadows are cast by the brightest light.

Rhiethreal
2 months ago#8
Jtrain89 posted...
I spent a lot of the fights just running stupidly after the monster trying to fill up my Phials.

Charged O into O+T

^do that twice and your phials should be red
Store it then put in your shield

Do it twice more then store it
Do it twice more to turn your phials red

At that point you should have a charged shield and full phials with red outlines. Easy-peasy and you shouldn't feel like an idiot getting to that point.

From there, you can just SAED when the opportunity presents itself, then immediately store your phials again because of the red outline, letting you toss out another SAED immediately or just instantly recharge your shield if the charge has worn off.

Basically, the CB seems way more complicated than it really is.

Jtrain89
2 months ago#9
Rhiethreal posted...
Jtrain89 posted...
I spent a lot of the fights just running stupidly after the monster trying to fill up my Phials.

Charged O into O+T

^do that twice and your phials should be red
Store it then put in your shield

Do it twice more then store it
Do it twice more to turn your phials red

At that point you should have a charged shield and full phials with red outlines. Easy-peasy and you shouldn't feel like an idiot getting to that point.

From there, you can just SAED when the opportunity presents itself, then immediately store your phials again because of the red outline, letting you toss out another SAED immediately or just instantly recharge your shield if the charge has worn off.

Basically, the CB seems way more complicated than it really is.

Hm that does sound easy as hell. I haven't been banking phials like that. Maybe I'll have to try it again tonight. Thanks for the tips!

User Info: Placid01

Placid01
2 months ago#10
It is easy, except the monster is moving and attacking during all that. So you have to mix in sidehops, guards, GPs, evades, and ordinary movement.

That, and he left out charging your red sword. But that's only one more button.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. Looking for a new weapon after spending 100+ hours with Insect Glaive - LS? Bow?
  • Topic Archived