• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. Geralt isn't just a costume, it's also a playable character

User Info: tarrant042

tarrant042
3 months ago#191
Ryo_the_Inferno posted...
Versaile posted...
tarrant042 posted...
@LonelyGaruga, I find myself agreeing with you most of the time... but this TW3 thing, it's difficult to fathom two things being true at once: 1) considering the story or game in general to be at all generic and 2) having actually played through the game.

Story isnt generic, but the gameplay? Not overtly exciting or particularly original

This is a valid complaint. You can mix combat up by using bombs, but even that doesn't really add anything of value.

Bombs, or signs, mutations, oils, whatever. Combat is easily the weakest component of gameplay, and far be it from me to contend otherwise.

But while combat is obviously a key, inextricable feature of the game, it's a hasty generalization to say the game itself is therefore generic. It's like calling a Lamborghini generic because it has 4 wheels and a seat.

User Info: Ryo_the_Inferno

Ryo_the_Inferno
3 months ago#192
tarrant042 posted...
Versaile posted...
tarrant042 posted...
@LonelyGaruga, I find myself agreeing with you most of the time... but this TW3 thing, it's difficult to fathom two things being true at once: 1) considering the story or game in general to be at all generic and 2) having actually played through the game.

Story isnt generic, but the gameplay? Not overtly exciting or particularly original

This is a valid complaint. You can mix combat up by using bombs, but even that doesn't really add anything of value.

Bombs, or signs, mutations, oils, whatever. Combat is easily the weakest component of gameplay, and far be it from me to contend otherwise.

But while combat is obviously a key, inextricable feature of the game, it's a hasty generalization to say the game itself is therefore generic. It's like calling a Lamborghini generic because it has 4 wheels and a seat.

Whether the game's combat is weak or not (it is), I will always remember the first time I punched out a bear because Geralt didn't auto draw his sword and I couldn't be bothered to do it manually.
3DS FC: 3222-6077-2683

User Info: LonelyGaruga

LonelyGaruga
3 months ago#193
As for the setting, it may have fantasy standards like dwarves, elves, vampires, werewolves, and others, almost all of them are done in a way that makes them unique. Elves aren't noble and haughty, they're bitter and broken, vampires don't feed on blood, but treat it like humans do alcohol, most only drinking blood on special occasions, some who dont partake at all, and others who over indulge.

Maybe it's just what I browse, but I've seen more depictions of "blood is alcohol" vampires than any other interpretation, and a pretty diverse range of elves to the point that I forget they have a stereotypical personality (my initial impression from watching Witcher was that the elves drew inspiration from the fair folk type anyway, what with the European folklore references like the Wild Hunt itself). This stuff...really isn't what I'm talking about anyway though. I have a lot higher standards of what qualifies as unique than vampires treating blood as alcohol.

Anyway, just for the record, after actually watching an RTA of Witcher 3 (which I mentioned in #148, almost 50 posts ago), I don't think it's a power fantasy anymore, because I thought that monster combat played a bigger role in the game, when actually he killed way more humans, which is something I didn't know he did at all. Which is why I haven't actually said it was a power fantasy since then, even when I was replying to your post about my comments talking about it as one. Though he's still got loads of fanboys fawning over how awesome he is anyway, so even if I don't think he's a power fantasy character, there's still plenty of people that adore him as one.

Well, I will admit, I have more of an issue with the people fawning over him than Geralt himself. I see loads of people idealizing him as a power fantasy character, and so I perceived him as one, whether or not he really is one.

User Info: Sukiyw

Sukiyw
3 months ago#194
Yuck :( A cameo or DLC quest, event or whatever is fine, but I’m not liking that a game I hated is intruding in a franchise I love at a mechanical level...
And magic would totally break all MH world building to this point....
3DS FC : 2836-0129-5551

Ryo_the_Inferno
3 months ago#195
LonelyGaruga posted...
As for the setting, it may have fantasy standards like dwarves, elves, vampires, werewolves, and others, almost all of them are done in a way that makes them unique. Elves aren't noble and haughty, they're bitter and broken, vampires don't feed on blood, but treat it like humans do alcohol, most only drinking blood on special occasions, some who dont partake at all, and others who over indulge.

Maybe it's just what I browse, but I've seen more depictions of "blood is alcohol" vampires than any other interpretation, and a pretty diverse range of elves to the point that I forget they have a stereotypical personality (my initial impression from watching Witcher was that the elves drew inspiration from the fair folk type anyway, what with the European folklore references like the Wild Hunt itself). This stuff...really isn't what I'm talking about anyway though. I have a lot higher standards of what qualifies as unique than vampires treating blood as alcohol.

Anyway, just for the record, after actually watching an RTA of Witcher 3 (which I mentioned in #148, almost 50 posts ago), I don't think it's a power fantasy anymore, because I thought that monster combat played a bigger role in the game, when actually he killed way more humans, which is something I didn't know he did at all. Which is why I haven't actually said it was a power fantasy since then, even when I was replying to your post about my comments talking about it as one. Though he's still got loads of fanboys fawning over how awesome he is anyway, so even if I don't think he's a power fantasy character, there's still plenty of people that adore him as one.

Well, I will admit, I have more of an issue with the people fawning over him than Geralt himself. I see loads of people idealizing him as a power fantasy character, and so I perceived him as one, whether or not he really is one.

I do think the games are a bit overhyped, honestly. I've only played 3, and it's really good. But it's not the be all end all for RPGs. And the Geralt fanboyism can definitely be annoying. Honestly, I like the book version of Geralt a lot more than the game version. They're very different characters. The writing style took a little getting used to, but I really love the way the characters interact in the novel.

User Info: cooolio

cooolio
3 months ago#196
If you're going to go that vague with your requirements of a power fantasy, then almost every video game outside of Tetris is a power fantasy.

Well that is a bit of an exaggeration, but you are mostly right. It just depends on whether or not it is done in a tasteful manner

In TW3 Geralt's actions are questioned, you are never sure that you made the right choice. The power that you have can causes misery.

Then you have a game like Uncharted where you are just gunning down enemies and the story doesn't really examine the fact that Drake is a killing machine. It is like your typicAl action movie. Kind of the same with wolfenstein. You are a hero gunning down Nazis left and right and you're never faces with any hint of doubt since all the Nazis are a******.

Even that is not necessarily bad^^^.
Life is neither cruel nor precious. Some people are just born in pain others either walk in it or wield it.

User Info: OverlordOfDeath

OverlordOfDeath
3 months ago#197
LonelyGaruga posted...
OverlordOfDeath posted...
I am assuming htoL#NiQ: The Firefly Diary and a Rose in the Twilight.

Yeah, actually. I'm surprised someone nailed it, nice job.

I just recalled you saying them in a post several months or so ago. I just wasn't 100% sure on the second game.
They give you a rev, You give them the Bird! Firebird Nation

User Info: Plasmas

Plasmas
3 months ago#198
Sukiyw posted...
Yuck :( A cameo or DLC quest, event or whatever is fine, but I’m not liking that a game I hated is intruding in a franchise I love at a mechanical level....

Same here
Merlin: Remember to believe in magic... or I'll kill you.

Ryo_the_Inferno
3 months ago#199
cooolio posted...
If you're going to go that vague with your requirements of a power fantasy, then almost every video game outside of Tetris is a power fantasy.

Well that is a bit of an exaggeration, but you are mostly right. It just depends on whether or not it is done in a tasteful manner

In TW3 Geralt's actions are questioned, you are never sure that you made the right choice. The power that you have can causes misery.

Then you have a game like Uncharted where you are just gunning down enemies and the story doesn't really examine the fact that Drake is a killing machine. It is like your typicAl action movie. Kind of the same with wolfenstein. You are a hero gunning down Nazis left and right and you're never faces with any hint of doubt since all the Nazis are a******.

Even that is not necessarily bad^^^.

You're right, I was exaggerating, but it was mostly for emphasis than anything. However, in my opinion, you shouldn't call something a power fantasy until it crosses certain lines, otherwise the term loses value. I will admit that those lines are vague.

User Info: edgarz1459

edgarz1459
3 months ago#200
>Calling TW3 generic and mainstream
>Hasn't played the game

The thing about people like this is that they will never give the thing they're blindly bashing a chance because their pride won't let them.. he knows there's a tiny chance that he's wrong and he'd rather remain blissfully ignorant about that fact.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. Geralt isn't just a costume, it's also a playable character
  • Topic Archived