• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. After being away for awhile, where does the switch axe rank now?

User Info: resevil67

resevil67
1 week ago#1
I haven't really been active in this game since the first few months after release. I was actually planning on making some switch axe videos then my regular PS4 disc drive broke and took my mhw disc with it :/. Lol. Now I have a pro.

I ended up getting the game again on the psn flash sale for 19.99. I am and prob always will be a switch axe main, and it was always a middle of the pack, maybe high middle in terms of killing speed and versatility.

Is this still the case? Has it gotten any buffs or nerfs over the year? I know the GS has gotten considerably better, and it feels like the longsword has as well.

User Info: DukeLukewarm

DukeLukewarm
1 week ago#2
Still a weapon that doesn't really do anything all that well, and overall lacks a purpose.

User Info: DS_Aneila

DS_Aneila
1 week ago#3
Lmao switch axe.
I like to makeup MMO acronyms and misuse them out of context. Nobody knows MMOs like I do - EX_Bloathog - every GFaqs thread

User Info: resevil67

resevil67
1 week ago#4
Fine sorry I know I misspelled it. It's swagaxe.

User Info: DS_Aneila

DS_Aneila
1 week ago#5
I'm not sorry. Lol Switch Axe. Ahahahahaha.
I like to makeup MMO acronyms and misuse them out of context. Nobody knows MMOs like I do - EX_Bloathog - every GFaqs thread

User Info: Deaga

Deaga
1 week ago#6
It's pretty much mid-tier as far as entries in the TA Wiki go, but it fares pretty horribly against monsters with higher stagger limits, such as ATs or Lunastra.

DukeLukewarm posted...
Still a weapon that doesn't really do anything all that well, and overall lacks a purpose.

This is pretty much spot-on, speaking as an SA main. It's just a combo weapon, of which there's a lot more in the game, but lacks mobility, any kind of defensive option and the damage output isn't really high enough to compensate for those.
Shameless self-plug for my MH speedrunning youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/DeASDFga

User Info: bassyura

bassyura
1 week ago#7
From the outside looking in, Swax looks broken. It's the only one of the phials weapons whose phials crit, apply status, and scales with sharpness. The phials even proc on random non threatening features like gathering nodes.
This hand of mine is coursing with the Power of Magnetism! It tells me to crush Capitalism!
Here I go, GADGETO FINGAH!!!

User Info: DukeLukewarm

DukeLukewarm
1 week ago#8
Deaga posted...
It's pretty much mid-tier as far as entries in the TA Wiki go, but it fares pretty horribly against monsters with higher stagger limits, such as ATs or Lunastra.

DukeLukewarm posted...

This is pretty much spot-on, speaking as an SA main. It's just a combo weapon, of which there's a lot more in the game, but lacks mobility, any kind of defensive option and the damage output isn't really high enough to compensate for those.

I think its main advantage is supposed to be range with higher DPS but lower defense and burst than LS, but it doesn't work out that well in practice.

User Info: popliyo

popliyo
1 week ago#9
Deaga posted...

DukeLukewarm posted...

I'm not sure a switch axe main would ever hold the weapon out to lack mobility. That is suspect.
Just wanted to make you upset. Do you feel it? Let your butthurt flow like liquid butt sewage from your eternally devastated rear! ~Krion64

User Info: Deaga

Deaga
1 week ago#10
Just click the link in my signature, scroll past the GU links and see if you find the world stuff suspect.

Sidestep > Roll > Morph sweep is great for chasing monsters, but if you have to actually dodge attacks in Sword mode, you're restricted to those super small sidesteps with fewer iframes than rolls. Good luck with that. Works nicely against most of World's punching bags anyway (you don't have to dodge attacks if the monster is constantly tripped/flinched!) but the second you find something that fights back, you're going to have some trouble.

I mean, sure, you can still clear quests just fine if you play cautiously and use the "get out of the way" maneuver, it's not some unuseable junk or anything remotely close to that. But when you see LS with a literal god-mode move, it's kinda hard to see what SA's advantage is.

DukeLukewarm posted...
I think its main advantage is supposed to be range with higher DPS but lower defense and burst than LS, but it doesn't work out that well in practice.

Does SA even have that much higher damage than other weapons when monsters are downed? You have to keep swapping modes to not run out of gauge, which is still a dps loss compared to just swinging your sword nilly-willy (at least the morph sweep is strong enough that it's not a big loss) and, well, you struggle to keep up when monsters are not downed due to lack of defensive ANYTHING. In my experience, one of SA's niche has been abusing small monsters/corpses/bitterbugs/crystals/maybe other stuff??? to proc extra phial bursts to have high damage... You know your weapon is really good when you have to rely on small monster AI cooperating with your hunt.
Shameless self-plug for my MH speedrunning youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/DeASDFga
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. After being away for awhile, where does the switch axe rank now?
  • Topic Archived