• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. What are the top three most safe weapons to use in Monster Hunter World?

User Info: TheNextAvatar4

TheNextAvatar4
4 weeks ago#51
Brownstone posted...
Button_Masher_Z posted...
Okay, so a bow is wide open during dragonpiercer, other moves are actually more effective when you use the elements properly, so why would you even want to use dragonpiercer? Not that the dance concept is easy, per se, but if used appropriately, especially with constitution, it can be very effective without putting you in much of any recovery. Personally, I mentioned it because it was somewhat okay to try to stay at range and just fire stuff, and then its dodging capability was strong compared to the other ranged options. Not that LBG is weak, but a bow can use its dodge to get a stronger attack.

The thing is, the constitution bow dance meta builds need to be in close range in order to be played appropriately. However, with gunners defense this a death sentence for newbies and average players.

This would explain why many Bow users are claimed to be "cart masters" in hunts... and I believe that since I too have seen my fair share of Bow users carting more than other weapons.
I wish I could control all the elements of the world... then I wouldn't need a job.

User Info: ToveriJuri

ToveriJuri
4 weeks ago#52
shyahone posted...
Lance, gunlance, board sword. GS takes more skill, where as the lance types and sns can guard and poke.

Imo LS is far safer than GS. The evade window of foresight slash is just stupid and really quick to setup with the poke. I was actually relying on it too much things like Nergi's dive bomb suddenly became a problem for me for a little while when I switched to Bow.
PSN: ToveriJuri

User Info: looselink

looselink
4 weeks ago#53
nobody has voted for hunting horn, just how unsafe is that thing?
!

User Info: Rhiethreal

Rhiethreal
4 weeks ago#54
looselink posted...

It would take someone actually using one for anyone to know, but that never happens.
http://rhiethreal.deviantart.com/

User Info: ToveriJuri

ToveriJuri
4 weeks ago#55
looselink posted...

Moveset is pretty slow, songs and encores root you down for quite a bit and the weapon doesn't really have active defensive options.

Not really a safe weapon.
PSN: ToveriJuri

TheNextAvatar4
4 weeks ago#56
Okay, here is my verdict on what are the top 3 most safe weapons to use in World, going from 3rd to 1st.

3.) Sword & Shield
Any weapon that can block would obviously be safer than weapons that can't block, but it also helps that this weapon in particular is not only fast-hitting, but mobile. Being able to use an item unsheathed helps in brief moments that you're not being attacked. Plus, most of the attacks can be canceled or mixed with another attack at any point in a combo, on top of having a number of attack options to mount a monster (Charged Slash, Advancing Clash on slopes or cliffs, etc.).

Of course, sheathing is quick and is recommended to do so, since you can be allowed to run while using an item, unless you have Speed Eating LV2 or LV3... in which case, sheathing is unnecessary. Speaking of sheathing, it's one of those weapons that allow easy access to the "Superman Dive" to avoid big hits like Nerg's own dive attack.

It is #3 on my list, because while it does have a shield, is mobile and fast attacking while being allowed to use items unsheathed, it also has a short reach, plus the Charged Slash can be risky using it any point a monster isn't downed. The SnS is best used on the monster's legs and taking advantage of dodging, while only blocking when you sense a ridiculously lethal move coming after you, even though blocking in general with the SnS is the weakest among all other weapons.

2.) Lance
While it isn't as mobile as the S&S, it more than makes up for having the best defense among all weapons and better reach. Power Guard trivializes any attack in your way (especially with Guard Up), it can immediately keep an offensive after blocking with Counter-Thrust, the Dash Attack makes chasing monsters down easy both in and out of battle, plus it can perhaps dish out the most damage out of all weapons if you can attack with the Lance consistently (especially since you hit the face and tail of most monsters easily with Circle).

However, since the Lance mostly pokes and hardly slashes, you have to be precise with where you hit the monster for the best damage despite the reach, it is slow and hardly fitting for dodges (even with Evade Extender and Window skills equipped), and the sheathing speed leaves much to be desired without Quick Sheathe as a skill.

It is #2 on my list, because you will hardly ever die up-close against a monster, especially with Guard-Up and Guard III, making you the Tank of any party, if MHW were an MMO. You just have to be mindful about when to attack, and when to guard, followed by a Counter Thrust, and being sure to take advantage of the Dash Attack for both mounts and keeping pace with a monster if the opportunity calls for it.

*Continue Reading for my #1*
I wish I could control all the elements of the world... then I wouldn't need a job.

TheNextAvatar4
4 weeks ago#57
1.) Light Bowgun

Light Bowgun is the most safe weapon to use out of all weapons in the game, from my experience. I got through most of the content in this game with this weapon alone. You're probably wondering why I didn't suggest a Heavy Bowgun with a shield mod instead. Thing is, it's just as slow if not more so than the Lance, and it cannot safely attack while guarding and vice-versa. It also has no access to Rapid-Fire unlike the Light Bowgun, which hinders DPS (unless you're a cluster-bomb speedrunning fan).

Firstly, it can attack from a distance (that's a given) which is also the most consistent in terms of damage (plus thanks to Rapid Fire, it can actually be quite a damage fiend), it has a variety of ammo to tackle all weaknesses of every monster (elements, ailments), it is mobile with quick sheathing speed that makes it easy to avoid attacks (similar to SnS), it can hit any part of the monster's body at any time with the proper positioning, and brings in further utility and types of damage with Wyvernheart and with a melee attack of its own. Oh yeah, what about the flying wyverns? Easy targets. Want Xenojiiva's tail? Slice it up proper. Want to stun the face? Sticky that sucker.

The downsides to this weapon are that it is susceptible to melee (which shouldn't be an issue of you keep your distance and dodge at the right time), and it can't block attacks (which again, keeping distance and dodging remedies this). It also needs ammo supplied after every battle, which costs a bit of resources (which thankfully, the Botanical Research garden alleviates this by growing the plants for ammo).

Sure, many of you can argue that a noob can not be good enough to dodge attacks and become a liability, but the same thing can be said of someone who can't block at the right time (or block too much) and thus hinder their DPS. The LBG is the bees knees for any hunter in this game. Aloy from Horizon Zero Dawn knows what I'm talking about... and no, the Bow in MHW, despite having a look based off her, isn't the best representation of her skill and prowess, which has been explained by other users here in regards to the safety of the Bow in general.

In fact, in a little while, I'll be putting together a build with the Light Bowgun that achieves 100% affinity, Wide Range LV5, and has enough QoL skills and ammo types that proves this weapon can tackle any challenge in the game. Until then, enjoy the weapons.

User Info: gochisosama

gochisosama
4 weeks ago#58
TheNextAvatar4 posted...
By "safe", I mean weapons that are reliable defensively as well as offensively, not leaving many openings (or any at all) after you attack, and generally keep you alive best due to mechanics that allow evasive or defensive maneuvers. These weapons should be suitable for any player who is new to the game, but also appeals to players who like to avoid carting.

I'll list my top three safest weapons and explain why after a few days. For now, have at it, folks.

The Lance.
It's mostly regarded as a purely defensive weapon, but if you actually know how to use the Lance very well, it deals A LOT of damage, especially if you go for an Elemental Lance since it's one of those weapon that has a high hit rate.
For one such set to be really efficient, you would need Rathalos Mastery 2 (so at least 2 pieces of Rathalos gear or Azure Starlord), and the rest would be crit, attack, crit boost, increased elemental damage, weakness exploit, and ideally at least 3 points in guard so that you can take absolute advantage of those counters and utterly demolish monsters.
Keep in mind that the Lance is arguably the weapon that'll allow you to have the highest uptime on monsters, out of all the weapons in game. Where you would be forced to constantly roll or superman dive to avoid damage with a lot of other weapons, with the Lance you just stay on the monster's face all the time and either poke or counter hit, shield bash, charge...
One of the very best weapon in the game imho.

User Info: Pots_Togo

Pots_Togo
4 weeks ago#59
Knowledge and skill are the safest weapons

User Info: Button_Masher_Z

Button_Masher_Z
4 weeks ago#60
I can understand TC’s list. I’d probably rearrange it, given the same weapons/more experience, but it’s a reasonable conclusion.
Support for optimism: Nearly everyone I meet is some poor sod who doesn't realize what they've got, and I'm the worst offender.
We all learn when we lose it.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. What are the top three most safe weapons to use in Monster Hunter World?
  • Topic Archived