• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. Does Monster Hunter World take the crown for most difficult Action-RPG?

User Info: roxlimn

roxlimn
1 year ago#11
__hiei__ posted...
Diablo 3s "difficulty" isn't really based on skill though. its just how your numbers match to the enemy's.

the only reason i'd think people would ever call any monster hunter game harder than souls or Nioh, is they're taking the super endgame content of MH and comparing it to a first playthrough of a souls game, which isn't a very valid comparison obviously

if you also take the super endgame content of souls/Nioh (the last NG+ of souls or the really high floors or the abyss in nioh), it gets to a point where almost everything in the game will one shot you (even random guys around the stage) regardless of build. monster hunter games never get to that point.

Monster Hunter's difficulty is also based on how your numbers match the monster's. Trying to bag a Teostra with starting gear is probably impossible because of how little damage your butter knife does to an elder.

User Info: Toxsa

Toxsa
1 year ago#12
If people ever play Ninja Guidance 1 and 3, they'd know MHW is nothing compare to those.

Even the normal difficulty is ridiculous, let alone there're like 4 more difficulty level above normal.

User Info: nickg131

nickg131
1 year ago#13
user420 posted...
petejohnson_5 posted...
user420 posted...
This game isn't even in the running.

I wouldn't even say this game is hard.

I wouldnt even say this game is an rpg.

Neither would I. Neither are Souls/BB for that matter.

Why would you say souls games aren't RPGs? they are action RPGs, sure, but from every criteria I'd use, they're RPGs.

Choose class and/or stats to customize how you play, playing the ROLE of a hero to save the realm, find and upgrade weapons and armor, level up, fight monsters, fight bosses, investigate NPCs and item descriptions to figure out what's going on the world, there's even in game explanations for the invasion system that fits within the narrative.

All that being said, no MHW is not even close to hardest ARPG. It has difficult elements. Everyone has their own things that trip them up, I have issues with TJHO, I see people every day cart to vaal's puke beam, teostra's fire nova, etc, but it's not THAT hard, all it takes is TIME to grind the right gear to make each fight nearly trivial.

Whereas Ninja Gaiden 2...can just eat a bag of dicks. lol
PSN - nickg0131 (it's a zero)

User Info: __hiei__

__hiei__
1 year ago#14
roxlimn posted...
__hiei__ posted...
Diablo 3s "difficulty" isn't really based on skill though. its just how your numbers match to the enemy's.

the only reason i'd think people would ever call any monster hunter game harder than souls or Nioh, is they're taking the super endgame content of MH and comparing it to a first playthrough of a souls game, which isn't a very valid comparison obviously

if you also take the super endgame content of souls/Nioh (the last NG+ of souls or the really high floors or the abyss in nioh), it gets to a point where almost everything in the game will one shot you (even random guys around the stage) regardless of build. monster hunter games never get to that point.

Monster Hunter's difficulty is also based on how your numbers match the monster's. Trying to bag a Teostra with starting gear is probably impossible because of how little damage your butter knife does to an elder.

well, my point is, you can "git gud" to a point in games like souls or MH where you will never be hit by anything ever. (some guy beat the entire dark souls trilogy in one sitting without ever being hit)

that's not possible in diablo, because it's designed for your stats/gear to matter more than your ability to control the character

User Info: nickg131

nickg131
1 year ago#15
roxlimn posted...
__hiei__ posted...

To use the example of the souls games, what I like about them vs this is that in souls, you can beat the game without leveling up, wearing starting gear. Takes longer, but there's videos of people beating it at minimum level, no armor, using fists, never hitting the dodge/sprint/block buttons, and never taking a single point of damage. It's entirely skill based, whereas MHW is almost literally built around a gear grind. I love them both, but I do think MHW is much less skill based.

I say as I still fail to properly estimate TJHOs hit box and am 1 shotted repeatedly
PSN - nickg0131 (it's a zero)

roxlimn
1 year ago#16
Hey, I finished that game! The sequel was even more unfair. LOL. That's a hard game.

roxlimn
1 year ago#17
__hiei__ posted...
roxlimn posted...
__hiei__ posted...

well, my point is, you can "git gud" to a point in games like souls or MH where you will never be hit by anything ever. (some guy beat the entire dark souls trilogy in one sitting without ever being hit)

that's not possible in diablo, because it's designed for your stats/gear to matter more than your ability to control the character

I consider the distinction irrelevant. It isn't necessarily to develop that skill in either game. It's a self-imposed challenge. Some characters in Diablo require more user skill than others. It never gets particularly high as a requirement, but some can do more with the same gear than others.

In none of those games is twitch skill all that relevant. We're not talking Ninja Gaiden here.

User Info: MarqueeSeries

MarqueeSeries
1 year ago#18
If you wanna put Monster Hunter in the action rpg category, then 4U and XX both outclass it in difficulty by a significant amount
Posted with GameRaven 3.4

User Info: Terfzman

Terfzman
1 year ago#19
Fleabyte posted...
Monster hunter series is hardest, but not world...definitely not world lol

I agree followed by dmc in harder difficulties

User Info: SayGoDj

SayGoDj
1 year ago#20
You don’t know difficult until you’ve played Niohs dlc. It’s actually an unfair type of difficulty imo.
PSN: SayGoDj7
Say Go DJ cuz I'm your DJ
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. Does Monster Hunter World take the crown for most difficult Action-RPG?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Answers