Getting discouraged and losing hope over these rare decorations

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. Getting discouraged and losing hope over these rare decorations

User Info: jmitnick

jmitnick
6 months ago#1
About 180 hours in, HR 95 or so...I'm still trying to farm for the key "build defining" decorations like Protective Polish, Bow Charge+, Minds eye, Piercing shot, capacity up, etc. I never get any of them. I still love playing the game, but the way they've designed this RNG ultra low % grind is terrible. Ironically, I've had no problem getting the Augments I want, so maybe I shouldn't complain too much, but still, it's annoying that it's 100% complete RNG, like I could go another 300 hours and never get protective polish but someone else could get it in only a handful of hours.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein

User Info: Ryu4772

Ryu4772
6 months ago#2
I just got a protective polish on my last hunt and one yesterday as well. It's a very grindy game but if you played others then you should have patience. I played Payday 2 for almost a year so doing the same missions over and over is like doing these same hunts repeatedly.

It doesn't feel like a chore since I'm not bored with the game even after 300 hours put in.
PSN: Trite98
Too Easy

User Info: Thundar

Thundar
6 months ago#3
No protective polish here and I'm HR100+ now. Someday it will drop though. Think of things this way, if the game gave you everything you wanted right away, you would have zero incentive to continue playing outside of just enjoying to kill things.

Want to keep things entertaining? Learn a new weapon.
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv313/girshootslasers/1315697017393-1.jpg
PSN: Qwid - - - - - -If yer not dyin, yer not tryin'!

User Info: TheNextAvatar4

TheNextAvatar4
6 months ago#4
It's all RNG, meaning that you'll simply have to be lucky to get what you want. I wouldn't fret about decorations or augments, because that removes the enjoyment of the game. After all, all you're doing is making it a little easier to beat monsters you already beat numerous times in under 20 minutes.

I would just play for the sake of the fun of trying out different weapons with mixed armor sets to improve their performance, and test out how effective they are against specific monsters. This game is meant to be played as something of a routine, like a 1-2 hours a day kind of deal, which is enough for 1-3 monster hunts, in order to keep things interesting and not feel like a grind.

There's a reason why those Bounties exist, especially the Limited Bounties (which change weekly).
I may control all the elements, but I sure can't control all the people in this world... at least, not without fear.

jmitnick
6 months ago#5
Thundar posted...
No protective polish here and I'm HR100+ now. Someday it will drop though. Think of things this way, if the game gave you everything you wanted right away, you would have zero incentive to continue playing outside of just enjoying to kill things.

True, and that's what I'm doing. I'm not actually bored of the game at all...I think even if I got no reward for the hunts I'd still have fun...I'm just annoyed that I'm not getting these "build-defining" gems. Like I can't make a proper dragon piercer bow build because I'm forced to be super inefficient without a pierce gem. And lacking protective polish I can't do any of these builds that put just a touch of white on the weapon. Oh well.

User Info: kmchow98

kmchow98
6 months ago#6
If you want a higher chance of getting good decos, you will want to hunt the tempered elder dragons as much as possible.

The good news is that the negigante weapons are very good and don't need protective polish at all. So start with those and kills those tempered dragons more efficiently.

You'll also want to do the save scum approach to get rare decos at a faster rate.

User Info: Thundar

Thundar
6 months ago#7
jmitnick posted...
Thundar posted...

True, and that's what I'm doing. I'm not actually bored of the game at all...I think even if I got no reward for the hunts I'd still have fun...I'm just annoyed that I'm not getting these "build-defining" gems. Like I can't make a proper dragon piercer bow build because I'm forced to be super inefficient without a pierce gem. And lacking protective polish I can't do any of these builds that put just a touch of white on the weapon. Oh well.

I could see if this meant finishing the quest in 50 mins or timing out with regards to optimal builds. But when we're talking about finishing the monster off in 4 mins instead of 5, having the optimal build doesn't seem all that required. Just use the weapons as intended, and then fill in the deco's as you get them.

I just have fun helping others with quests and doing TED runs from time to time. If I get a wanted decoration in the process, great.
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv313/girshootslasers/1315697017393-1.jpg
PSN: Qwid - - - - - -If yer not dyin, yer not tryin'!

User Info: Jesserae

Jesserae
6 months ago#8
I'm 360 hours in and only have 3 of the jewels you mentioned, Good luck on your hunt.
Praise The Sun - DDDA Pawn Ciri (Ranger)
PSN: Darkestsoul92

jmitnick
6 months ago#9
Thundar posted...
jmitnick posted...
Thundar posted...

I could see if this meant finishing the quest in 50 mins or timing out with regards to optimal builds. But when we're talking about finishing the monster off in 4 mins instead of 5, having the optimal build doesn't seem all that required. Just use the weapons as intended, and then fill in the deco's as you get them.

I just have fun helping others with quests and doing TED runs from time to time. If I get a wanted decoration in the process, great.

Yeah Thundar, I mean at the end of the day you're right. It's not like I'm recording speed runs or whatever. I think it's just maybe my OCD or something to want to get a "perfect" build.

User Info: MegalaserLAWS

MegalaserLAWS
6 months ago#10
I feel for you. I only got 80 hrs in and I've got two crit boosts, bow charge, magazine up, spread up, pierce up and that's just my top end stuff. I save scummed though. Are you doing that?
I'm only hr 68.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. Getting discouraged and losing hope over these rare decorations

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived