Every weapon type is viable...

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. Every weapon type is viable...

User Info: poplo909

poplo909
5 months ago#21
DukeLukewarm posted...
Guy asks for actual objective analysis.

Replies are the usual empty, feel-good nonsense.

MH isn't balanced and has never, ever been balanced, and will never, ever be balanced. Certain weapon types are far stronger than others. Bow and CB are generally considered to be the strongest by a landslide, followed by DB.

Yes, there are always weapons that are stronger. HH will likely always be the weakest in scenarios of equal skill. But the "feel-good nonsense" is because certain people understand/enjoy some weapons more than others. So while CB may outdamage anything else melee, if you can't wrap your head around it but swing a GS like a champ, GS will be better for you. Not because it has higher damage potential, but because you can utilize it more effectively than you can utilize the CB.

As for TC, in terms of potential (with you being irrelevent) it's probably something like Bow=CB >>>>>>> most everything else >>>>> LBG >> HH. Maybe not exactly (probably a it exaggerated), but besides LBG and HH being pretty far behind and CB and Bow being above the rest, everything is pretty even in terms of Nerg speedruns that I know of, but I don't really follow them so take it with a pinch of salt. The reason I put LBG over HH despite HH having a 1 second better nerg run than LBG (I think) is because against most other monsters LBG will win out in damage potential.

If you want weapons easy to start with the typical suggestions are DB, LS, or SnS. They're faster and give you more opportunities to dodge out of animations, making you harder to punish. LS has the longest reach and will be better for hitting higher targets/weakspots, SnS can guard and use items while unsheathed giving you more survivability, and DB has higher damage and potentially mobility, but force you close to the monster due to short range, with fewer survival options and high stamina use.
PSN and steam- or4ca1nus3

User Info: pnut027

pnut027
5 months ago#22
AsimLeonheart posted...
DukeLukewarm posted...

MH isn't balanced and has never, ever been balanced, and will never, ever be balanced. Certain weapon types are far stronger than others. Bow and CB are generally considered to be the strongest by a landslide, followed by DB.

Thank you for taking the time to reply everyone but THIS guy gets what I am talking about. Objective analysis about which weapon types are superior than the rest. There must a couple or handful which are better. Can you please answer some questions?

What kind of bow are you talking about? Bowgun or just bow? I used the bow for a Kulu-Yaku and it took forever to damage and kill him. Took me whole 49 minute and barely killed him in the last minute. The damage was too low and it was like using a pea shooter. Lol

Secondly, I think CB refers to charge blade but what does DB means? All these abbreviations are confusing for new comers to figure out.

Thank you.

Objectively, people are better with certain weapons than others.

So there isn't a "best weapo."

People consider the bow OP. I can't use it for s***.
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1417-all-things-podcasts

User Info: GanglyKhan

GanglyKhan
5 months ago#23
AsimLeonheart posted...
I used the bow for a Kulu-Yaku and it took forever to damage and kill him. Took me whole 49 minute and barely killed him in the last minute.

Oh. This explains a lot. You just don't know how to use a weapon or it's a bait topic and a good one at that. Giving you the benefit of the doubt, there is no objective analysis. You aren't playing this game in a vacuum where you can control every element of gameplay. There's random chance that will always affect gameplay. Monster size, affinity, Palico skills, level of players on the team, other monsters appearing, etc;

My best advice is to either get used to that or switch games if it truly does bother you that much. MH has never been about minmaxing and I really do blame the majority of other AAA titles for that mindset.

User Info: DukeLukewarm

DukeLukewarm
5 months ago#24
Weapons in MH seriously aren't that difficult to learn, man.
And skill with one weapon isn't that difficult to transfer over to another. Initial unfamiliarity or awkwardness can be overcome within half an hour or so at most.

User Info: DukeLukewarm

DukeLukewarm
5 months ago#25
GanglyKhan posted...
AsimLeonheart posted...
I used the bow for a Kulu-Yaku and it took forever to damage and kill him. Took me whole 49 minute and barely killed him in the last minute.
MH has never been about minmaxing

Who are you to say what MH has ever been "about"?

User Info: Enclosure

Enclosure
5 months ago#26
ITT TC claims opinions that disagree with him as vague and unhelpful, and opinions that agree with him as objective and helpful, despite neither of them having any sort of math or factual backup.

lol.
http://imgur.com/wNyX55h.jpg

User Info: Leventhan26

Leventhan26
5 months ago#27
The problem you are running into is that there is no best weapon, there are several weapons that are top tier, some are mid tier and some are low tier. But when people talk about these they are usually only talking about speedruns and how fast a weapon is at killing a monster.

If you wanted the best weapon for speedrunning people might be able to tell you, if you wanted the best weapon for defense people might be able to tell you, but the best weapon for speedrunning and the best weapon for defense are likely not the same weapon.

You want someone to compile a huge guide that would be pointless for anyone to actually compile. Most weapons have easy to distinguish pros and cons that most players will learn just from playing with them for 4-10 hunts and the game even has stats on monster weakness right in the actual game.

One example you use is flying versus ground, no one brings a special weapon for flying, they bring flash pods and a bunch of flash bugs.

The most important thing in this game is learning the monsters attacks so that you can use the weapon you like to fight them effectively.

User Info: AsimLeonheart

AsimLeonheart
5 months ago#28
DukeLukewarm posted...
AsimLeonheart posted...
DukeLukewarm posted...

Thank you for taking the time to reply everyone but THIS guy gets what I am talking about. Objective analysis about which weapon types are superior than the rest. There must a couple or handful which are better. Can you please answer some questions?

What kind of bow are you talking about? Bowgun or just bow? I used the bow for a Kulu-Yaku and it took forever to damage and kill him. Took me whole 49 minute and barely killed him in the last minute. The damage was too low and it was like using a pea shooter. Lol

Secondly, I think CB refers to charge blade but what does DB means? All these abbreviations are confusing for new comers to figure out.

Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWinJaYAlxI9LjGmFofiuwg/videos Check out this guy's channel for Bow stuff. Bowguns aren't in the best spot in this game outside of very RNG-dependent cluster strategies.

DB is Dual Blades.

Just watched that video and that guy was a monster with the bow. I guess I will try learning a bow for flying monsters and charge blade and dual blades for the rest. I am already decent with dual blades but tired of getting trampled by monsters. Had a very tough time killing Anjanaths with dual blades.
Currently Playing: Monster Hunter World
PSN ID: AsimMehmood

User Info: DeamonXanth

DeamonXanth
5 months ago#29
poplo909 posted...
DukeLukewarm posted...

Yes, there are always weapons that are stronger. HH will likely always be the weakest in scenarios of equal skill. But the "feel-good nonsense" is because certain people understand/enjoy some weapons more than others. So while CB may outdamage anything else melee, if you can't wrap your head around it but swing a GS like a champ, GS will be better for you. Not because it has higher damage potential, but because you can utilize it more effectively than you can utilize the CB.

As for TC, in terms of potential (with you being irrelevent) it's probably something like Bow=CB >>>>>>> most everything else >>>>> LBG >> HH. Maybe not exactly (probably a it exaggerated), but besides LBG and HH being pretty far behind and CB and Bow being above the rest, everything is pretty even in terms of Nerg speedruns that I know of, but I don't really follow them so take it with a pinch of salt. The reason I put LBG over HH despite HH having a 1 second better nerg run than LBG (I think) is because against most other monsters LBG will win out in damage potential.

If you want weapons easy to start with the typical suggestions are DB, LS, or SnS. They're faster and give you more opportunities to dodge out of animations, making you harder to punish. LS has the longest reach and will be better for hitting higher targets/weakspots, SnS can guard and use items while unsheathed giving you more survivability, and DB has higher damage and potentially mobility, but force you close to the monster due to short range, with fewer survival options and high stamina use.

The reasons you get the answers you do is because its true. I am seeing bow - cb (i suck with these weapons, DB LS and sns all weapons i hate and don't kill s*** with.

it's not hard to understand, the best weapon is the one you are good with.
Psn ZaemonXanth MH veteran :)

User Info: rhb263

rhb263
5 months ago#30
AsimLeonheart posted...
Why is the Monster Hunter fanbase so reluctant about declaring a certain weapon type as the best? As a newcomer to the series, I feel overwhelmed by the type of weapons available to learn so I thought maybe the community can help me decide. Each time I get my ass kicked by a monster I think maybe I am using the wrong weapon type so I keep changing. Tried a bow and it took me forever to kill my first monster with it, changed to a dual blades and always get trampled or knocked down by monsters at such close range. Tried a Great Sword and Hammer but found them too slow. Eventually got tired of testing and trying to learn them since I have barely 2 hours to play at night and settled for the dual blades for now. But I have been wondering if there is a weapon type that is superior to others and one I should bother learning and sticking to.

I have searched through numerous threads on various websites and answer is always "every weapon is viable" or "use whatever you like." There is no discussion or analysis about weapon classes such as pros and cons, damage potential, severing vs blunt, range and effectiveness on different kinds of monsters such flying or grounded etc.

The true MH community is not represented on Gamefaqs. It has been established for a good while, and even those I know to have been super helpful in the past have become super bitter. Plus trolls, and obvious attention seekers abound, as well as a butt-ton of new players who pick up the trash and run with it.

To try to answer your question though, the literal answer is "every weapon is viable". But I can try to go a bit further. I preface this with the disclaimer that: It's my own personal experience, based on my playstyle and my history with MH. Also - you really DO need to learn how to use a weapon to it's full potential, and not just rely on base stats because of how damage is calculated. I'm also assuming base weapon use, without skills (like quick sheathe, etc)

SnS - seems weak, and has historically required elemental matching to the monsters weakness to be at peak performance. Even if you're hunting something flying, bring flashes, and mats to craft more. You can block. And learn to take advantage of your attack speed & mobility to compensate for your lack of apparent raw damage.
LS - Currently the most popular weapon, but I feel like I'm the only person who plays in my timezone who knows how to use the spirit gauge and Helmbreaker...
DB - you will trip anyone you attack near if you're not careful, but solo they are fab. Again, take advantage of your attack speed & mobility.
Hammer - Difficult to get the hang of the timings and know what you can and can't pull out of, but an equally viable option once you learn these things.
Hunting Horn - very similar to the Hammer in it's usage, but you can buff/heal team mates. Just don't sit in the corner playing songs and thinking this is the best way to use the horns.
Lance & Gunlance - Great for defensive play, but once you know all the combos also great for offensive play. But they are slow to put away and draw, and mobility with them drawn is seriously limited.
GS - Much like the Lances. You can block, but you can't move with any speed worth mentioning while it is drawn. The MHW GS also has a "charge combo", which can be difficult to pull off if you don't know what you're doing, but it's kinda the reverse of the SNS/DB - your lack of mobility & speed compensate for well-landed blows.
Light Bowguns/Heavy Bowguns - basically as per the in-game descriptions. LBG focuses more on mobility and rapidly firing shots, while HBG can often shoot more powerful ammo at the cost of (you guessed it) speed * mobility.
Charge Blade, Switch Axe & IG & Bow I'll leave for someone else to "hopefully* answer helpfully as I don't have a huge amount of experience with them.

*EDIT* - Wow that blew up faster that I expected. Hope I was of some use.
Official Australian Grandmaster of the Assassin Order (AC3 boards).
MH IGN Xandria. Other games, some form of Kael. Hi if I know you. Otherwise, meh.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. Every weapon type is viable...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived