So if my weapon is sheathed how to I start out a combo that uses O

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. So if my weapon is sheathed how to I start out a combo that uses O

User Info: Dyson

Dyson
5 months ago#1
Anytime I draw my weapon it starts off with a triangle attack, not sure how to start a O attack combo with weapon sheathed.
PSN ID - Dyson350

User Info: Valrien

Valrien
5 months ago#2
Unsheathe it
FFXIV: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/16737213/
GameFAQs FFXIV Discord: https://discord.gg/QxFjfEn

User Info: SorrowOfAcheron

SorrowOfAcheron
5 months ago#3
You can't.
You can draw into other attacks by pressing R1/R2.
"its very time of starting your story.
keep going!"
- Alice -99th

User Info: lambchips

lambchips
5 months ago#4
No reason to quick draw a O attack because the Triangle attack is generally stronger than the O for any weapon.
i7 3820@ 3.60GHz| 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3| Gigabyte GTX670 2GB OC| Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD| Antec EarthWatts 750W Green

User Info: CrmsnFatalis96

CrmsnFatalis96
5 months ago#5
You don't.

Generally speaking, the triangle button is your "main" attack, the O button is your "sub" attack, the R/R2 button is some kind of special maneuver (morphing for charge blade and switch axe, guarding for Great Sword and anything with a shield, etc.), and pressing triangle and O together is usually a "sub" attack. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any major exception to this.

Furthermore, your draw attack is typically a "reaching" attack designed to give you a quick launch forward.

In other words, why would you want to start an O attack combo with your weapon sheathed? Which weapon are you using?

Dyson
5 months ago#6
CrmsnFatalis96 posted...
You don't.

Generally speaking, the triangle button is your "main" attack, the O button is your "sub" attack, the R/R2 button is some kind of special maneuver (morphing for charge blade and switch axe, guarding for Great Sword and anything with a shield, etc.), and pressing triangle and O together is usually a "sub" attack. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any major exception to this.

Furthermore, your draw attack is typically a "reaching" attack designed to give you a quick launch forward.

In other words, why would you want to start an O attack combo with your weapon sheathed? Which weapon are you using?

The Insect Glaive has an O, Triangle, O combo...didn't realize O was a weak attack either. I'm new to the series so I was going off the training mode combos.
PSN ID - Dyson350

User Info: Dunceney

Dunceney
5 months ago#7
Dyson posted...
CrmsnFatalis96 posted...
You don't.

The Insect Glaive has an O, Triangle, O combo...didn't realize O was a weak attack either. I'm new to the series so I was going off the training mode combos.

Doesn't IG's Forward + Triangle draw attack is the same as its O attack that propels you forward?
Mbek?
Mbek!!

User Info: CrmsnFatalis96

CrmsnFatalis96
5 months ago#8
Dyson posted...

Ah, I've never used the insect glaive extensively so I don't know much about it. I'm sure the O, Triangle, O combo is just fine, but you'll find that the draw attack has a special place in the overall combat system.

When you're weapon is sheathed, you are much more mobile, which make it easier to avoid getting hit and also easier to position yourself for attacking. Once your weapon is drawn, that's when you have "committed" to attacking. You put yourself at risk of getting hit and it will be harder to reposition yourself (NOTE: for most weapons, it is perfectly doable and reasonable to reposition yourself with your weapon drawn, it is just more difficult to do than when your weapon is sheathed).

Because of this distinction between your weapon being sheathed and your weapon being drawn, the draw attack is an essential element that links the two together. It generally has more utility for positioning yourself than just a regular triangle attack.

For example, the Sword+Shield and Dual Swords both lunge forward with a draw attack and can be directly chained into a combo from there. On the other hand, the Great Sword draw attack is exactly the same as the regular Triangle attack, but it performs the attack much faster because there is less wind-up time.

So I guess long story short, there isn't really much of a reason to go directly into an O combo because your draw attack is a special move that you use to position yourself or otherwise gain an advantage.

User Info: The_shoemaker

The_shoemaker
5 months ago#9
Dyson posted...
CrmsnFatalis96 posted...
You don't.

Insect glaive has an infinite loop of combos, you can start it with the triangle draw attack.

Dyson
5 months ago#10
CrmsnFatalis96 posted...
Dyson posted...

Ah, I've never used the insect glaive extensively so I don't know much about it. I'm sure the O, Triangle, O combo is just fine, but you'll find that the draw attack has a special place in the overall combat system.

When you're weapon is sheathed, you are much more mobile, which make it easier to avoid getting hit and also easier to position yourself for attacking. Once your weapon is drawn, that's when you have "committed" to attacking. You put yourself at risk of getting hit and it will be harder to reposition yourself (NOTE: for most weapons, it is perfectly doable and reasonable to reposition yourself with your weapon drawn, it is just more difficult to do than when your weapon is sheathed).

Because of this distinction between your weapon being sheathed and your weapon being drawn, the draw attack is an essential element that links the two together. It generally has more utility for positioning yourself than just a regular triangle attack.

For example, the Sword+Shield and Dual Swords both lunge forward with a draw attack and can be directly chained into a combo from there. On the other hand, the Great Sword draw attack is exactly the same as the regular Triangle attack, but it performs the attack much faster because there is less wind-up time.

So I guess long story short, there isn't really much of a reason to go directly into an O combo because your draw attack is a special move that you use to position yourself or otherwise gain an advantage.

Ok that makes sense, thanks
PSN ID - Dyson350
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. So if my weapon is sheathed how to I start out a combo that uses O

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived