• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. What about Monster Hunter is "inaccessible" to newcomers?

User Info: Meta289

Meta289
2 years ago#61
PyroFonix posted...
Was your first MH generations?

Vanilla Tri. Didn't play the previous games due to not having a PS2 or PSP.
http://i.imgur.com/kh8FImW.png - WHATEVER
If the internet isn't a hivemind, then it sure as hell is a bandwagon.

User Info: Isohunter

Isohunter
2 years ago#62
SpinKirby posted...
Some people aren't entertained if they are challenged.
Some people aren't entertained unless they are challenged.

This sums up it very well.

The most popular games nowadays are basically walking simulators like Last of Us, Elder Scrolls, AssCreed or GTA; pure power fantasy and/or cinematic experience.
http://imgur.com/GyxMNFM

User Info: Terron145

Terron145
2 years ago#63
PyroFonix posted...
Was your first MH generations?
Assuming this is directed at me, no, my first Monster Hunter was the Wii U Version of 3U. I played the games in this order - [3U > 4U > FU > Gen].

EX_Bortthog posted...
FRames aren't something that you need Souls for a background for.
To clarify, I wasn't stating that Soulsborne, specifically, was needed as background knowledge; I was using Soulsborne as an example since it is both recent and relevant in the current culture; I was not citing it as the progenitor of this concept.

If I wanted to use a personal example of where I learned about i-frames, it would have been Super Smash Bros for the N64, or some other classic game where damage boosting is an option.

- For those curious, "damage boosting" is the act of intentionally taking damage from an enemy - or any available source of damage - in order to make use of the invincibility frames granted to your character. If you've watched a speedrun of any retro title, you've definitely seen examples of this.

User Info: Shadow_Ninja8

Shadow_Ninja8
2 years ago#64
Isohunter posted...
The most popular games nowadays are basically walking simulators like Last of Us, Elder Scrolls, AssCreed or GTA; pure power fantasy and/or cinematic experience.

You do realize this all depends on the difficulty you set the game to, right?
http://i.imgur.com/F9agy.jpg

User Info: Isohunter

Isohunter
2 years ago#65
Which doesn't make much difference since they weren't designed with a challenging mindset. You're pretty much stumbling from one checkpoint to another on those games.
http://imgur.com/GyxMNFM

User Info: EX_Bortthog

EX_Bortthog
2 years ago#66
Shadow_Ninja8 posted...
Isohunter posted...

You do realize this all depends on the difficulty you set the game to, right?

You realize what "artificial difficulty" is right?
#1 Cactus
https://youtu.be/a2Qw-ztFrK4 LETS GET HYPE

User Info: Soljah

Soljah
2 years ago#67
Meta289 posted...
Like, I was a dumb 13-year old who sucked and still sucks at video games when I first played MH, but it still clicked pretty quickly, and none of it was off-putting, not the controls, not the grind, not the difficulty. As far as I'm aware, it's not a hard game to learn or get into at all. So why is it considered so unfriendly and inaccessible?

did you start on the first monster hunter? (ps2) because the controls were clunky and the gameplay was rather hard and is easily a noob killer before demon souls was even a thought.
Your Friendly Monster Hunter Soljah

User Info: anubis24354

anubis24354
2 years ago#68
As has been said several times already, the game requires effort. Not necessarily a ton of effort, but enough that someone just casually checking it out might get turned off pretty quickly, at least if they don't like games that present a decent challenge right off the bat.

The only reason we think the game is easy at the beginning is because we've been playing so long that we know what the end game is like. The truth is, if you've never played a game like MH before, you are in for a bit of a shock.

User Info: Malpheus

Malpheus
2 years ago#69
2DFighter84 posted...
Yomigaeru posted...
The average gamer is going to be looking for a lifebar or damage numbers when fighting a boss in a game, and the lack of such transparency in MH puts a lot of people off the series.

^ This. I haven't even played the game yet, and this is the first thing I noticed when I saw game play videos. I thought they had adjusted the UI somehow. Some of you guy really underestimate just how much seeing enemy life bars does for normal gamers. It gives us a very easy way to estimate about how long the fight will take, how much damage we're doing, how tough one monster is compared to another monster... stuff like that. A lot of times, I turn on my PS4 and I've only got an hour of spare time to game. I get engaged with a badguy and that battle takes 20+ minutes and I've got nothing to show for it in the end, I'm gonna feel that wasted time there. If I have a way of knowing ahead of time (I see the monster and it has 20 life bars or something) I can make a much more informed decision as to whether or not I've got the time to take this thing on. It's kind of a big deal. And it's honestly the only problem I've got with what little I know about this game so far.

I understand time constraints and schedules restricting playtime, absolutely. However, there is another observation I would like to make from this statement.

I think herein lies a philosophy focused on the outcome or end of a battle, one in which you ultimately gain results in perhaps item format or plot progression. In Monster Hunter, that item gain is purely RNG, there is no guarantee, and even more so a battle is unlikely "plot progression" in a barely plot containing game like MH.

So I think we have to go back and look at the fundamentals in regards to this.

What you do attain for every fight in monster hunter is to further your ability, weapon skill and performance in terms of time against the monster. This is the basic concept of what this game is about; fighting monsters to improve ones personal combat abilities within the game, potentially to acquire and further refine gear to take on bigger challenges. It is not plot centerist. It is not centered around every boss fight leading to something more.

This is why it works in Japan. MH has been super successful, especially in a portable format within Japan. You can squeeze in that hunt between public transport trips, and public transport is the most dominant form of transport in Japan. It is a means to kill time, rather than allocate or dedicate time. That is less true in western countries, even from that one difference. This is also why I'm sure many Japanese players will be annoyed it isn't coming on switch.

What I am trying to point out is that this game cannot be approached with the philosophy I highlighted earlier. I think it's something you need to expect you will allocate time for in most instances, the very structure on which it operates prevents it from being a "casual" game. I'm certain that will be a huge barrier to appealing to many demographics in the west, given we mostly approach the instances of a boss fight expecting materialistic or story gain.
Malpheus | Bugstick Man
My IG FAQ: http://www.gamefaqs.com/3ds/163462-monster-hunter-generations/faqs/73680

User Info: MuttonBasher

MuttonBasher
2 years ago#70
SpinKirby posted...
Some people aren't entertained if they are challenged.
Some people aren't entertained unless they are challenged.

That's MH right there. I think it also explains why I've lost interest in similar games -- if they're not up to MH standards I get bored.
How many hours can a person hunt monsters and not get bored? ...Uh, don't answer that.
~ The Fishmongress
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. What about Monster Hunter is "inaccessible" to newcomers?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A