• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Life is Strange: Before the Storm
  3. Theory on Rachel's Powers (spoiler alert)

User Info: Grahamfield11

Grahamfield11
3 years ago#1
At the end of the game of episode 1, Rachel made a scream while a tree catches on fire and then a sudden wind causes the forest on fire.

It makes me think Rachel's powers is to manipulate or create wind or the weather.

If so then could Rachel's powers caused the storm and Max's powers may not have to do anything with the storm at all.

I wonder if there was a way to stop the storm and keep Chloe alive, but Max didn't know how to do that.

User Info: LordTrinen

LordTrinen
3 years ago#2
I have long wondered if Rachel's anger over her death awoke her powers upon her demise, setting in motion the events in nature that culminated in the storm. Then maybe she appeared to Max as the Spirit Doe to guide Max into protecting Chloe from the storm.

The only flaw in this is the Sacrifice Chloe ending. The storm does not happen in that timeline. Does Jefferson's arrest somehow quell her anger and stop the storm? If that's the case, why didn't his arrest in the Art Gallery timeline stop it?

I don't know. I doubt we'll get any firm answers in the remaining episodes but hopefully we'll get enough clues to come to better conclusions.

User Info: re_ru

re_ru
3 years ago#3
That's one of the things I love about this community, all the theory crafting people do. However, are we sure that it was something more than a stylistic choice from the developers?
PSN: not_midget_dwarf- Mycastle:16602-62053-55208-30442/FC: 2638-3419-0155
Official Kara Zor-El of the Injustice 2 boards/ Kiryu Kazama of every RGG board

LordTrinen
3 years ago#4
re_ru posted...
That's one of the things I love about this community, all the theory crafting people do. However, are we sure that it was something more than a stylistic choice from the developers?

This is also a valid point, and one I have been struggling with since I finished the episode.

Many of us have long suspected that Rachel had powers of some sort. Powers perhaps that are tied to the creation of the storm. And the coincidental way the winds blow each time Rachel screams in anger does seem to support our theories about it.

But at the same time...it could be just that. A coincidence. It plays into our suspicions but don't necessarily confirm it. The wind blowing just as Rachel screamed could have very well been nothing more than a coincidence.

Hopefully future episodes will clarify things more. It will be a long two months...

User Info: JackApostrophe

JackApostrophe
3 years ago#5
There's clearly more supernatural going on in Arcadia Bay than just Max's powers. Whether that means Rachel had powers is another question, though.

I mean, if you look at the original Life is Strange, then Max's powers affecting the weather is one thing. After all it's a very literal reference to the butterfly effect, ie a butterfly flaps its wings differently and that causes a storm. However I have trouble believing that a butterfly effect can cause a solar eclipse. Unless Max is way more powerful than we think.

In Before the Storm we have Chloe's dreams. If you look in her journal and read her texts in the second dream, you'll find information that she couldn't possible possess at that age.

I do think that Rachel was somehow affecting the wind. I don't think there's a specific connection between Rachel and the storm, though. Maybe I'll be wrong.

User Info: re_ru

re_ru
3 years ago#6
JackApostrophe posted...
There's clearly more supernatural going on in Arcadia Bay than just Max's powers. Whether that means Rachel had powers is another question, though.

I mean, if you look at the original Life is Strange, then Max's powers affecting the weather is one thing. After all it's a very literal reference to the butterfly effect, ie a butterfly flaps its wings differently and that causes a storm. However I have trouble believing that a butterfly effect can cause a solar eclipse. Unless Max is way more powerful than we think.

In Before the Storm we have Chloe's dreams. If you look in her journal and read her texts in the second dream, you'll find information that she couldn't possible possess at that age.

I do think that Rachel was somehow affecting the wind. I don't think there's a specific connection between Rachel and the storm, though. Maybe I'll be wrong.

There is something in the air that I can't quite put my finger on every time I play this series. A strange pall that does carry a feeling of mysticism and the supernatural. Most of us definitely linked the tornado to something more than Max's powers. I don't know though, it just feels too......convenient to have Rachel affecting the weather.
PSN: not_midget_dwarf- Mycastle:16602-62053-55208-30442/FC: 2638-3419-0155
Official Kara Zor-El of the Injustice 2 boards/ Kiryu Kazama of every RGG board

User Info: CraiCrushna

CraiCrushna
3 years ago#7
Grahamfield11 posted...
At the end of the game of episode 1, Rachel made a scream while a tree catches on fire and then a sudden wind causes the forest on fire.

It makes me think Rachel's powers is to manipulate or create wind or the weather.

If so then could Rachel's powers caused the storm and Max's powers may not have to do anything with the storm at all.

I wonder if there was a way to stop the storm and keep Chloe alive, but Max didn't know how to do that.

She has no powers.

LordTrinen
3 years ago#8
CraiCrushna posted...
Grahamfield11 posted...

She has no powers.

We don't know that for certain right now. It could go either way.

User Info: YGHadi

YGHadi
3 years ago#9
Well she hates the bay more then ever
On THC 90% of the time i am here.

User Info: divine_hyoga

divine_hyoga
3 years ago#10
I did see as a metaphor of his rage... But it's possible what you people say. Still i would like that Rachel have any relation with Max, her future self, her past, or another thing.
  1. Boards
  2. Life is Strange: Before the Storm
  3. Theory on Rachel's Powers (spoiler alert)
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A

Can you help me? General1 Answer
Cant install episode 3? Tech Support1 Answer