You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Assassin's Creed Origins
  3. PSN sale through 2019-02-19, so some questions on game and DLC...

User Info: kasplat360

kasplat360
2 months ago#1
I need a game in a couple of weeks to play with my spouse watching and the PSN sale going on highlighted Origins. I wanted to get some feedback on whether Origins would be a good fit.

I haven't played an AC game since Syndicate and it is my understanding that they've changed up the series a lot since then. I don't particularly care about the modern storyline of AC and I don't really want to have a map filled with little icons of treasure boxes and collectibles I need to clear for an important unlock. I love the virtual tourist history aspect even though AC has always played loose with the actual historical people and settings in favor of gameplay and storyline. In short, it seems like Origins is a good time to try the series again.

However, is everything still mission (sequence) based, so you can replay any main story or side mission? Is the game a collectathon or did they ditch that? Is the DLC worth it too and if so, is it something to do later or you get a big boost if you start out with it in terms of weapon, armor, skills, etc.?

If it helps, I prefer the stealth, exploration and assassin type kills and combat rather than the rambo style melee and if I have to I would play on Easy if the game is uneven with overwhelming odds or bosses.

User Info: Cheeky_Jester

Cheeky_Jester
2 months ago#2
In this game missions are level based. So if you go in under leveled you will get killed pretty easy, you will have to do alot of side missions in order to keep up with the level requirements of the main missions.

On the map there are a lot of ? That are either collectables, forts or animal dens. There is also a discovery mode that is sort of like a tour of the land that gives you narrated bits of info on places and people but also has no combat at all so you can take your time with it.

Combat is a big part of origins but you can also stealth through some of it. Sometimes you will have no choice to fight tho. You cn have 2 weapons equiped and 2 bows all have different stats and effects

The dlc takes place after the story and has a high level requirement so its best to do after beating the story.

Modern day is still there but its only a few short parts most of the time you will be in the animus. Also you cannot replay missions its one continious story that isnt broken up into memories. But there is an easy mode and enemy scalling that can ve turned off or on as you see fit

Hope this helps a bit with your decision
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times dont last but bad guys do - Scott hall
(edited 2 months ago)

kasplat360
2 months ago#3
Cheeky_Jester posted...
In this game missions are level based. So if you go in under leveled you will get killed pretty easy, you will have to do alot of side missions in order to keep up with the level requirements of the main missions.

On the map there are a lot of ? That are either collectables, forts or animal dens. There is also a discovery mode that is sort of like a tour of the land that gives you narrated bits of info on places and people but also has no combat at all so you can take your time with it.

Combat is a big part of origins but you can also stealth through some of it. Sometimes you will have no choice to fight tho. You cn have 2 weapons equiped and 2 bows all have different stats and effects

The dlc takes place after the story and has a high level requirement so its best to do after beating the story.

Modern day is still there but its only a few short parts most of the time you will be in the animus. Also you cannot replay missions its one continious story that isnt broken up into memories. But there is an easy mode and enemy scalling that can ve turned off or on as you see fit

Hope this helps a bit with your decision

Great info, thanks!

I don't mind combat, but I do not like when you are doing a mission and it is highly likely you'll end up bringing the entire base to you so you end up overwhelmed and then have to redo the whole thing, especially when it happens right towards the end.

Also, since there are RPG elements and skill trees, having to put points into combat and survival stuff, when you would rather get the cool gadgets and quality of life upgrades first and early in the game is sort of annoying. For example, the arrow you can control the trajectory of is pretty high on the list.
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: dreamsteel

dreamsteel
2 months ago#4
Syndicate was the refined pinnacle of the old style AC games. Origins is a soft reboot in mission/game structure as well as mechanics. Origins is a very large game with smart story telling and dialogue but an overwhelming amount of side stiff that is totally skipable but you'd be doing the game a great disservice by rushing it in any way. Starting with Origins they really embraced RPG elements as far as character progress/skills and loot drops. The atmosphere of this game is absolutely incredible as well. Just walking around a town and watching the people go about their daily lives with historically accurate depictions of things is quite fun and engrossing. I don't believe the missions are replayable because for one thing they are not as linear as previous games. Definitely worth playing for anyone who is an AC fan.

kasplat360
2 months ago#5
I went ahead and got it, thanks for the responses. I only fired it up to see what it looks like. Even in the first bit it seemed like I was needing to use the Animus Pulse almost continuously to be able to find pots, chests, and other lootable objects. Is there an alternative or do you eventually get your "economy" going, so that you aren't having to scan every 100 feet?

User Info: Juseh

Juseh
2 months ago#6
kasplat360 posted...

I don't mind combat, but I do not like when you are doing a mission and it is highly likely you'll end up bringing the entire base to you so you end up overwhelmed and then have to redo the whole thing, especially when it happens right towards the end.

Also, since there are RPG elements and skill trees, having to put points into combat and survival stuff, when you would rather get the cool gadgets and quality of life upgrades first and early in the game is sort of annoying. For example, the arrow you can control the trajectory of is pretty high on the list.
At the beginning you'll find invading bases a bit more difficult, especially in closed spaces like caves, where you don't have Senu to help. But if you like stealth you'll get the hang of it as you play, like marking enemies with the bow and staying in the bushes, knowing the safe distance to use the predator bow...
As for perks, I felt like that too at principle, but it's actually good that these OP skills aren't available from start. I reached lvl 40 this week and didn't get many skills that I thought would be awesome, like the "arrow control".

kasplat360 posted...
I went ahead and got it, thanks for the responses. I only fired it up to see what it looks like. Even in the first bit it seemed like I was needing to use the Animus Pulse almost continuously to be able to find pots, chests, and other lootable objects. Is there an alternative or do you eventually get your "economy" going, so that you aren't having to scan every 100 feet?
If you play stealth/mixed and go for mini objectives (eg: clearing forts) you will not need to collect money and soon will have more than you can spend. Go treasure hunting (the "eye of Sauron" symbols on the map) and sell equipment you don't use. Also, as soon as you meet Reda (blue camel symbol on the map), do his daily missions for nice rewards that you can use of sell for good money.
Wat is signature

User Info: dreamsteel

dreamsteel
2 months ago#7
kasplat360 posted...

Eventually you won't really bother with the little pots, etc. You will scan with your eagle to locate chests and sell the abundance of weapons you will find and you will have plenty of money. Plus there are a couple money farming areas you can look up if you need some quick cash.

kasplat360
2 months ago#8
My main regret right now is that since I purchased the DLC I figured I should download the expansions, but that means that now my quests are cluttered with Main and Events that are level 38 and above, which of course I won't reach for some time. I wish there was a way to unload the DLC or turn off quests above a certain range (3-5 levels above your current level would be perfect), but I don't see a way of doing that.

The only thing I can think of would be uninstalling the entire game and then just loading the main game and store items besides the DLC expansions, but I'm afraid that might mess something else up.

That said, the game is great looking and the scale of the environment is impressive.
  1. Boards
  2. Assassin's Creed Origins
  3. PSN sale through 2019-02-19, so some questions on game and DLC...