You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Ball FighterZ
  3. At SSJ2, hoping to get to Majin: seeking advise

User Info: xenobla

xenobla
4 weeks ago#1
https://youtu.be/sHdSUQubliU

https://youtu.be/v1laHqprt3s

Hi! Im currently at SSJ2 rank and would like to get some advise on how to improve my gameplay! Above are two videos of casual matches I just played today. Not sure the rank of the opponent with the Piccolo and Videl team, but I know the other is a Majin rank. I hope I can get some advise on how to improve! Thanks!

User Info: Avalon64

Avalon64
4 weeks ago#2
Majin huh? Well you still got Supreme Kai, Demon, SS3 THEN Majin to go, you still have some ways to go

so don't worry about trying to beat people of that rank, they're probably been in there for some time, focus first on getting there, anyway lets see what you got here
Can you taste The Angel's extraordinary skill?- Angel
Humanity alone possesses a God The power to transcend the now the inner God called possibility - Banagher

Avalon64
4 weeks ago#3
okay some basics Im pulling...

you need to work on your block string combos, the BASIC auto combo unfortunately does not leave you in a safe position allowing them to take their turn the moment the "heavy" of the auto combo is blocked, work on throwing beams or other specials (provided they're safe) to keep them guessing or push them back

also you seem to have a strange habit of blocking one thing....dropping your guard then eating their assist or their follow up attack, I know you want to get out of there before they force you in a corner but you need that defence to recognise when its your turn, I know you play Bardock but one of the crippling crutches I seen players do is RELYING on his wake up buttons, Bardock's buttons are absurdly good and times even I fall for it cause he doesn't need much to pull me into another combo...but the moment Bardock's gone he doesn't have that advantage anymore, hell I had a match yesterday against someone who did just that, I was using an experimental team of 18/Trunks/SS Vegeta but he was outbeating me with Bardock lights and I did lose 2 sets with him, but the moment I adapted focused on taking Bardock, I played SO much better and won 3 sets over him
Humanity alone possesses a God The power to transcend the now the inner God called possibility - Banagher

xenobla
4 weeks ago#4
Ok, so the main thing Im getting is learning blockstrings and knowing when to block(? Not sure how to phrase it better :P.)

I actually havn’t learnt any blockstrings before, but I think I will start putting in some time now to do them again and again in training till i memorise them.

I think i know which part you are referring to for bardock, after i up back teched and got opened up when i landed right? And im pretty sure there was another part where i got opened up when i pressed a button. Tbh im not sure why i got opened up at those points cause it was not my intention to mash, but maybe i might have pressed a button accidentally. Maybe from now i’ll keep my fingers slightly hovering above my buttons to prevent this frm happening again?

xenobla
4 weeks ago#5
Oh and in the first video, there was a part i did a raw 214M against my opponent’s piccolo, but it didn’t result in a sliding. Is there a reason why? Ik dat if smash has been used up, it wont result in a sliding, but im not sure why it didnt when i didnt do anything dat smashed bfr it. Its arnd 3:25 i think.

User Info: haimara

haimara
4 weeks ago#6
very very basic blockstring that works for most characters (not fat buu, hit, jiren, probably some others.. but most) would be like, 5LL 5M 2M 5H into ki blast or some sort of special that's not punishable. possibly assist here and restart with overhead or 2L before 5LL

once you get more used to that you change up the timing of 2M, end early and go into dragon rush, end early and do a quick iad for an overhead, stagger, and so on, but usually at your level people are going to be impatient and just get opened up by very basic strings w/ basic mixups if you keep them tight and use assists well

again, super basic and not for absolutely everyone, it can be reflected, && everyone has blockstrings that will be much better than that. but for everyone with pretty standard normals, that's fine to start with just to get a better feel for it

you can find someone who plays your character and watch them to see what specific things they do to change that up, if they skip a normal b/c it's too slow, what they end blockstrings with, etc
(edited 4 weeks ago)

Avalon64
4 weeks ago#7
yes learn this and you should do fine, like learn a good block string like SS Goku a good one is doing a basic combo but before the heavy hits, fire some basic ki blasts and follow this with a kamehameha

for someone like Bardock after a medium hit, follow it with his spin attack but MAKE sure you have an assist when you do this while the spin is an overhead, its MASSIVELY unsafe on block the assist is meant to cover Bardock if the opponent does do a standing block, for Vegito you can try to use his light kick rush special as the end of a block string before the third hit cause if the grab of his auto combo whiffs he's eating a punish

just some examples incorporating specials into the combo is part of how to make a true blockstring

also a small tip lol, when jumping back don't hold up back to try and air block...it doesn't work lol, you need to do you jump, then stop pressing up and hold back for the air block to register

I ate SO many combos jumping back cause of that lol
(edited 4 weeks ago)

xenobla
4 weeks ago#8
Oh ok, I see. Thanks alot! :)
I normally watch sikshot for blockstrings and they’ve been really helpful :)
I was thinking of trying to put Bardock’s 236S into a blockstring, but given it’s startup, I’m not sure even if i use an assist to cover, it’ll open up anyone cause its pretty obvious XD.

And oh ok, thanks alot! :)

Btw, does anyone have tips fr vanish continues? Eg vanish, dash forward, 2M... I can’t seem to get it, but I get that it’s super impt, cse if u land a hit that blows ur opponent back in a blockstring, dis has to be used to continue pressure. I can do a vanish, dash, 5LL(for somechars, depending on their 5LL), but i just cant get that 2M timing right.

Avalon64
4 weeks ago#9
ah don't worry about that, I kinda suck at the 2M follow up after vanish too...usually what I did was go for a level 1 super after a vanish or for someone with a beam like Goku...into 236 kamehama into level 1 super kamehameha

but thanks to those recent patches, air dragon rush after vanish is also a REALLY valid option since it creates a sliding knock down, follow up with oki or do the super while they're in sliding knock down

xenobla
4 weeks ago#10
Yeah, i do do the dr fr the sliding already, i think its in some of the vids, but i was wondering if it was on the ground. Fr eg i want to capitalise on a hit during neutral, but it sends them flying(horizontally), so i hv to vanish and continue by dashing forward and stuff.

Fr eg if i do 5S with videl and it hits, in order to continue my combo i’ll have to vanish and dash and continue the combo
(edited 4 weeks ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Ball FighterZ
  3. At SSJ2, hoping to get to Majin: seeking advise