You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Ball FighterZ
  3. PSA: 2D and 3v3 overview for newbies - DBZF and you

User Info: metalx88

metalx88
1 year ago#21
DrunkenPilot72 posted...
@metalx88 posted...
I'm totally new to 3v3 fighting. Is it possible to get a few more tips on swapping to different characters in a fight to regen health?

Ask and you shall receive.

When your character is tagged out, they'll regain health. The problem is that raw tagging is often unsafe and if your opponent catches on to what you are going to do they'll prepare a rather painful punish for the incoming character. At it's worst, you'll end up losing the character you just tagged in and you'll find yourself using the character you were trying to heal except with all of their recoverable health gone. It is common at early levels for beginners to lose their entire team off of a single predicted raw tag.

The safest way to tag out a character is through chained supers. When a character does a super (for example Goku's Kamehameha) the next character in a team can be tagged in immediately if they combo their super attack while the first super is still active (so Goku's Kamehameha canceled into Gohan's 45 degree Kamehameha). You'll see this happen a lot in high level matches even if the supers aren't hitting the opponent just so the player can safely switch characters. Granted it costs 2 bars to perform this technique but hopefully you will have built those resources in the amount of time it takes for the opponent to seriously damage one of your characters.

Thank you very much! I'm starting to get very intrigued with the intricacy of the mechanics. Which game would you suggest I play in order to prep myself?

Edit: control prep as well as 3v3 or similar mechanics.
PSN-FatherOfWolves
(edited 1 year ago)

User Info: cctrunks317

cctrunks317
1 year ago#22
metalx88 posted...
DrunkenPilot72 posted...
@metalx88 posted...
I'm totally new to 3v3 fighting. Is it possible to get a few more tips on swapping to different characters in a fight to regen health?

Ask and you shall receive.

When your character is tagged out, they'll regain health. The problem is that raw tagging is often unsafe and if your opponent catches on to what you are going to do they'll prepare a rather painful punish for the incoming character. At it's worst, you'll end up losing the character you just tagged in and you'll find yourself using the character you were trying to heal except with all of their recoverable health gone. It is common at early levels for beginners to lose their entire team off of a single predicted raw tag.

The safest way to tag out a character is through chained supers. When a character does a super (for example Goku's Kamehameha) the next character in a team can be tagged in immediately if they combo their super attack while the first super is still active (so Goku's Kamehameha canceled into Gohan's 45 degree Kamehameha). You'll see this happen a lot in high level matches even if the supers aren't hitting the opponent just so the player can safely switch characters. Granted it costs 2 bars to perform this technique but hopefully you will have built those resources in the amount of time it takes for the opponent to seriously damage one of your characters.

Thank you very much! I'm starting to get very intrigued with the intricacy of the mechanics. Which game would you suggest I play in order to prep myself?

Overall feel? Probably Guilty Gear. However, Marvel 3 if you want to get used to managing assists. Or even Skullgirls.
Excited to trash people as Kuririn in Dragon Ball Fighters... So I guess official Kuririn of Dragonball fighter boards. Whatever that means.

User Info: DrunkenPilot72

DrunkenPilot72
1 year ago#23
TwilightOrochi posted...
Holy crap, you sure did your homework. Great topic man, it taught me some new things as well.

Thanks, just trying to help grow the community. It isn't so much homework as it is a decent understanding of fundementals (gained from years of getting my ass handed to me from a wide variety of mismanaged teams). This is the kind of knowledge that is common in the FGC but for some reason it rarely gets communicated to outsiders in a meaningful way.

cctrunks317 posted...
@metalx88 posted...

Overall feel? Probably Guilty Gear. However, Marvel 3 if you want to get used to managing assists. Or even Skullgirls.

Guilty Gear and Blazblue are good if you want to get a general feel for ASW games but if you want to get a better understanding of 3v3 fundementals I'd go UMvC3. You can use UMvC3 to learn how to fight with assists, learn first hand the importance of point/assist/anchor designation, and resource management.

Keep in mind that UMvC3 would just be a stepping stone in understanding 3v3, don't expect a direct skill transfer. If you get crazy good with *insert character*, it isn't going to transfer directly to any given DBZF characters. Sure you can learn proficiency with playstyles like rush down or zoning but don't think learning bold move canceling with Dante is going to have a direct pay off in DBZF.
PSN: vyers72
FC: 0860-3464-0095
(edited 1 year ago)

User Info: Project5Boss

Project5Boss
1 year ago#24
Fantastic thread TC. We need more posts from people like you. Also i like how you used Black as an example of a point character.
:WutBurter :Hiranopls

DrunkenPilot72
1 year ago#25
Project5Boss posted...
Fantastic thread TC. We need more posts from people like you. Also i like how you used Black as an example of a point character.

Thanks, I'm just glad this thread got sticky'd so hopefully we'll get more buy in from players far better than myself.

As for Black, yeah I'd be lying if I said I didn't want him in. I doubt he'll make it in the base roster but hopefully he'll be top of the list for DLC/DBFZrd.
(edited 1 year ago)
Yeah, because Google, the most powerful engine doesn't exist.
"My Theories Will Cure You!"

User Info: GodzGift42

GodzGift42
1 year ago#27
Finally a topic that isn't discouraging or egotistical. Great job, man. Hopefully people take this guide with full intent on getting better so we have a less alienated fanbase during launch
Only real men survive anal sex

User Info: GidoDaHitman

GidoDaHitman
1 year ago#28
DrunkenPilot72 posted...
Project5Boss posted...

Thanks, I'm just glad this thread got sticky'd so hopefully we'll get more buy in from players far better than myself.

As for Black, yeah I'd be lying if I said I didn't want him in. I doubt he'll make it in the base roster but hopefully he'll be top of the list for DLC/DBFZrd.

Yea it's a great thread, but you should close this topic soon while you can TC before it gets tainted.

User Info: metalx88

metalx88
1 year ago#29
Follow up question, and my finally noob curiosity, when you stated that the feel ASW games had would be a good start, does that mean mechanic wise, button inputs, or possibly both?
PSN-FatherOfWolves

DrunkenPilot72
1 year ago#30
@metalx88 posted...
Follow up question, and my finally noob curiosity, when you stated that the feel ASW games had would be a good start, does that mean mechanic wise, button inputs, or possibly both?

Both, the only thing missing is the 3v3 format. Individual characters will feel closer to DBFZ characters (button notations, high mobility, etc) so you'll get more comfortable with picking up individual characters but you'll miss out on team building dynamics (Goku will play closer to Ragna/Sol but no teams).

UMvC3 is the opposite, you'll learn team building mechanics but individual characters are going to feel very different (Goku will play nothing like Ryu/Wolverine but you can experiment with team building fundementals).
(edited 1 year ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Ball FighterZ
  3. PSA: 2D and 3v3 overview for newbies - DBZF and you