You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Ball FighterZ
  3. PSA: 2D and 3v3 overview for newbies - DBZF and you

User Info: cctrunks317

cctrunks317
1 year ago#11
tcsavato posted...
JELIFISH19 posted...
DrunkenPilot72 posted...
You can't have all characters excel at all positions unless there is no character diversity

Skullgirls

Skullgirls is a vastly different kind of game since it was balanced for every kind of team combination from 1v1 to 3v3

Also, the roster is tiny. When there's only a handful of characters, it's easier to make the roster more diverse and balanced against itself.
Excited to trash people as Kuririn in Dragon Ball Fighters... So I guess official Kuririn of Dragonball fighter boards. Whatever that means.

User Info: GidoDaHitman

GidoDaHitman
1 year ago#12
..how do you request stickies here?

whoops got it...sticky requested
(edited 1 year ago)

User Info: JELIFISH19

JELIFISH19
1 year ago#13
tcsavato posted...
JELIFISH19 posted...
DrunkenPilot72 posted...
You can't have all characters excel at all positions unless there is no character diversity

Skullgirls

Skullgirls is a vastly different kind of game since it was balanced for every kind of team combination from 1v1 to 3v3

What makes it different? When it's 3v3, all of the characters can be played on point and they all have good assists. It's remains balanced when it's 1v1. That's how a game should strive to be balanced.
I <3 my HRAP EX-SE
Capcom, ASW, & NRS fighting games 4 Life

User Info: DrunkenPilot72

DrunkenPilot72
1 year ago#14
JELIFISH19 posted...
tcsavato posted...
JELIFISH19 posted...
DrunkenPilot72 posted...

Skullgirls

What makes it different? When it's 3v3, all of the characters can be played on point and they all have good assists. It's remains balanced when it's 1v1. That's how a game should strive to be balanced.

...but if all characters are equally balanced on point and assist, by definition they can't all be great anchors. A good anchor is a character who can blow up 3 equally ratio'd characters if given enough resources. A great anchor is suppose to be a character who either has an absurd damage ceiling or a amazing neutral game, the type of character who would normally be busted in a 1v1 situation.

Again I'm not trying to take away from Skullgirls, it is a great game with wonderful balance and a clever ratio system to handle dynamic team compositions. However that game was not built strictly for 3v3 combat.
PSN: vyers72
FC: 0860-3464-0095

User Info: JELIFISH19

JELIFISH19
1 year ago#15
DrunkenPilot72 posted...

...but if all characters are equally balanced on point and assist, by definition they can't all be great anchors. A good anchor is a character who can blow up 3 equally ratio'd characters if given enough resources. A great anchor is suppose to be a character who either has an absurd damage ceiling or a amazing neutral game, the type of character who would normally be busted in a 1v1 situation.

Again I'm not trying to take away from Skullgirls, it is a great game with wonderful balance and a clever ratio system to handle dynamic team compositions. However that game was not built strictly for 3v3 combat.

Why wouldn't they be great anchors?

And anchors aren't something you normally get in team games like this. Anchors are prominent in games like KOF because last characters have access to things that the first characters don't have access to. Your anchor has access to 5 meters and a longer Max Mode to do more damage than your point can. You didn't really have anchors in MvC until MvC3 where X-Factor was a thing. In MvC2, your last character was your best assist because the assist was so important for your other characters. It changed in MvC3 because X-Factor gets stronger as you lose characters and some characters benefit from it more than others. Those characters would be anchors. You also have to consider that anchors in a Marvel-syle game lose an important mechanic. They don't have access to assists. Some characters like Strider are stronger without assists and with X-Factor level 3 than they are with assists and possibly a weaker X-Factor.

Skullgirls falls into the MvC2 school of things. Your anchor is your best assist. Not all assists are equally beneficial to all characters. Sentinel benefits from Captain Commando's assist more than Captain Commando benefits from Sentinel. So Captain Commando will be the last character standing and it's not because he's good. That happens in Skullgirls too but it the the difference is the characters with the most universally useful assists aren't weak.
I <3 my HRAP EX-SE
Capcom, ASW, & NRS fighting games 4 Life

DrunkenPilot72
1 year ago#16
JELIFISH19 posted...
Why wouldn't they be great anchors?

And anchors aren't something you normally get in team games like this. Anchors are prominent in games like KOF because last characters have access to things that the first characters don't have access to. Your anchor has access to 5 meters and a longer Max Mode to do more damage than your point can. You didn't really have anchors in MvC until MvC3 where X-Factor was a thing.

That isn't true.

MvC2 had one of the most broken anchors of all time - Cable. Cable was the only character who could string together 5 supers in a single combo. At high level play, Cable would ToD anyone with a single confirm off of HK into Air Hyper Viper Beam until meter was gone. There is a reason why Cable was never seen on point or as an assist for the most dangerous MvC2 teams.

Even before Cable, early anchors in MvC2 were all characters who could do the most damage with meter. Sure both Ryu and Ironman had giant beam hypers but Ironman's did a lot more chip damage which is why Ironman was a common anchor during the early years of MvC2.

Again is isn't just a case of giving everyone a level 3 or level 5 super. Some characters are going to be able to deal a lot more damage than others with the same amount of meter. Comeback mechanics like X Factor, Sparking, or Infinity Storm just add to anchor potential but those mechanics are by no means the only things that determine a good anchor.

User Info: metalx88

metalx88
1 year ago#17
PSN-FatherOfWolves

User Info: metalx88

metalx88
1 year ago#18
I'm totally new to 3v3 fighting. Is it possible to get a few more tips on swapping to different characters in a fight to regen health? I am going off of the point, assist, anchor theme. Definitely wanting to pick this up as my go to fighter, Injustice 2 was a letdown and honestly this game seems like a different world entirely.
PSN-FatherOfWolves

DrunkenPilot72
1 year ago#19
@metalx88 posted...
I'm totally new to 3v3 fighting. Is it possible to get a few more tips on swapping to different characters in a fight to regen health?

Ask and you shall receive.

When your character is tagged out, they'll regain health. The problem is that raw tagging is often unsafe and if your opponent catches on to what you are going to do they'll prepare a rather painful punish for the incoming character. At it's worst, you'll end up losing the character you just tagged in and you'll find yourself using the character you were trying to heal except with all of their recoverable health gone. It is common at early levels for beginners to lose their entire team off of a single predicted raw tag.

The safest way to tag out a character is through chained supers. When a character does a super (for example Goku's Kamehameha) the next character in a team can be tagged in immediately if they combo their super attack while the first super is still active (so Goku's Kamehameha canceled into Gohan's 45 degree Kamehameha). You'll see this happen a lot in high level matches even if the supers aren't hitting the opponent just so the player can safely switch characters. Granted it costs 2 bars to perform this technique but hopefully you will have built those resources in the amount of time it takes for the opponent to seriously damage one of your characters.
(edited 1 year ago)
Holy crap, you sure did your homework. Great topic man, it taught me some new things as well.
3DS EU FC: 3668-8793-0535, Wii U NNID: Vetala
Friend Safari : Emolga, Heloptile & Zebstrika
(edited 1 year ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Ball FighterZ
  3. PSA: 2D and 3v3 overview for newbies - DBZF and you