You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fortnite
  3. Anybody else go from being really addicted to this game to not liking it at all?

User Info: Nordini

Nordini
1 month ago#1
I've played this game since the very first day it launched. I was obsessed the first few months. I feel like from season 4 onward, this game just went on a gradual, downward spiral.My interest in this game has definitely been declining the last few seasons.

Now I've become addicted to Apex, and when people ask me to play Fortnite I actually groan. It just seems so much less fun to play. It almost feels like a chore. I find myself actively disliking this game, which seems so strange given how many countless hours I used to spend enjoying it.

The game kept becoming more and more dependent on building and less on shooting. Building started out as such a nice mechanic, until the meta devolved to the point where every fight became a "build battle". Now I've grown to despise building.

That coupled with the game insisting on flooding the game with useless items, vehicles (Why?), and an overcrowded map, the game has just lost everything that made it great.

P.S. When did the community start accepting vehicles? I swear, the first few months of this game's life, the one thing we ALL agreed on was that Fortnite should never have vehicles. If somebody had suggested planes in season 2 they would have been shot. When did this change?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNJdJIwCF_Y
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Uncle_Drew

Uncle_Drew
1 month ago#2
I started at the very end of season 4, and I’m still addicted to it. A couple of my friends have moved on from it but we still have a pretty big group that plays regularly. If I was just playing solo all the time then I’d be bored as hell, playing squads is a lot more fun for me. Idk what mode you play most though. But could just be that you’ve burned yourself out on it, especially if you’ve started playing day 1. I was super late to the party, and honestly wouldn’t even have tried it had my friends not make me download it to play with them lol

I tried playing Apex, and honestly just thought it was garbage. If I’m gonna play a FPS then I’ll just play Cod. But cool if you like it tho. Maybe just take a break from Fortnite for a while until you get that urge to play again.

Idk if you have STW or not but I will say I’m getting suuuuper bored of that. The grind is starting to get to me lol
I’ll still play it because it can be fun, but damn if I’m not starting to get tired of doing the same missions over and over and over
R.I.P. Cavs Uncle Drew
2011-2017

User Info: heartherevenge

heartherevenge
1 month ago#3
they actually started to hinder building in later seasons, reducing the loot llama to only 200 of each mat, making chests and floor spawns only spawn 20 mats, and reducing the amount youd get from farming.

vehicles became accepted once they brought the bouncing rocks that everyone hated. it was pretty much a "ok we can have vehicles but get these things outta here" type of compromise.

i dont mind planes, trains, and automobiles in the game, its a good way to get to the circle. they ruined planes by preventing them from being able to go through structures. no way a 4wheeler should be able to but not a plane.

i agree with you though, the game kinda is starting to feel like a chore to play and its nice theyre keeping it fresh with map updates and new challenges but it just seems like theyve lost a lot of their core casual gamers to other games. apex, COD, anthem will be out soon, and the division.
all fortnite will have left will be kids whose parents wont let them play apex and people who use scuf controllers
psn/epic: heartherevenge

User Info: wolverinerob79

wolverinerob79
1 month ago#4
Fortnite and Hearthstone are my 2 chore games currently where I'm really only logging in for challenges. Once season 8 hits, I'll do more Fortnite because the dailies will be meaningful (dailies are useless to me once I max tiers for the BP). I agree that Apex is my primary game for pure fun right now. Then march will hit and it'll turn into a chore game too with their BP. I stopped playing Overwatch and Heroes of the Storm, which also have chore models. Hearthstone I'm unwilling to give up because unlike losing cosmetics, a HS break means gameplay wise you can never return because you're losing mechanical content (the cards) - I'm not quite ready to say goodbye.

I'm continuing to stay with Fortnite because Apex is less appropriate for my kids (no way to fully disable chat and blood) and so it'll basically be like Candy Land - I play it for them but it's not for my enjoyment.

Save the World I've abandoned except as a chore to get Vbucks. Even that I've backed off on and don't really miss it (once you get all the story done, there's not much point to StW IMO).

User Info: Zamphias

Zamphias
1 month ago#5
Newer seasons don't really fit my playstyle. It's much harder to have a satisfying one-on-one battle because people can literally teleport in on the action and 3rd party. Free-for-all games were never really my thing, so I mostly play for the Big team vs. Big team modes.

Working on Canny Valley missions at a steady pace since there will be nothing to complete till they release Twine.

Not touching Apex because it doesn't look all that interesting and I played way too many FPS throughout the years.
FC: 4484 9481 3196 (Playing: nothing)

User Info: Seo_the_Hero

Seo_the_Hero
1 month ago#6
I also started late Season 4 (Damn you, Nintendo). I still like the game a lot, I usually buy V-Bucks monthly, I've got some good friends, it's all fun until you find out sweats are in nearly every game. I hated the Quad Launcher, but I miss it now due to sweats. The Drum Gun should be nerfed in terms of damage, and be brought back as a Rare and Epic weapon as a counter to builds, but inferior to the P90 in terms of killing potential. I would like it JUST to counter builds, even though I'm pretty dang good (For a switch player anyway) at building. I just want some way to fight sweats.
Whenever you want to do a stylish play, you must follow 2 rules. You start with a YA, and end it with a YEET. Yeah I'm annoying as heck.

User Info: metaIslug

metaIslug
1 month ago#7
I'm glad they got rid of the Quad Launcher. Dumb weapon

I think it's only gonna get more frustrating to play this game as time goes on. The bots are gonna become less bots, or quit altogether. Meaning tougher competition. You need to git gud or you'll be left in the dust every match

User Info: Seo_the_Hero

Seo_the_Hero
1 month ago#8
@metalslug rage quit from the sweats
Whenever you want to do a stylish play, you must follow 2 rules. You start with a YA, and end it with a YEET. Yeah I'm annoying as heck.

Nordini
1 month ago#9
wolverinerob79 posted...
Fortnite and Hearthstone are my 2 chore games currently where I'm really only logging in for challenges. Once season 8 hits, I'll do more Fortnite because the dailies will be meaningful (dailies are useless to me once I max tiers for the BP). I agree that Apex is my primary game for pure fun right now. Then march will hit and it'll turn into a chore game too with their BP. I stopped playing Overwatch and Heroes of the Storm, which also have chore models. Hearthstone I'm unwilling to give up because unlike losing cosmetics, a HS break means gameplay wise you can never return because you're losing mechanical content (the cards) - I'm not quite ready to say goodbye.

I'm continuing to stay with Fortnite because Apex is less appropriate for my kids (no way to fully disable chat and blood) and so it'll basically be like Candy Land - I play it for them but it's not for my enjoyment.

Save the World I've abandoned except as a chore to get Vbucks. Even that I've backed off on and don't really miss it (once you get all the story done, there's not much point to StW IMO).

I recognize you from the HS board early days. I was there since season 1 and had a complete collection all the way through Whispers of the Old Gods. I took long breaks from HS and you can too. You'll just have to play Wild when you come back.

I've found that I can always come back and play cool decks in Wild. Yea, you'll never be able to hit legend without hte latest cards, but who wants to grind for that these days?

Nordini
1 month ago#10
Seo_the_Hero posted...
I also started late Season 4 (Damn you, Nintendo). I still like the game a lot, I usually buy V-Bucks monthly, I've got some good friends, it's all fun until you find out sweats are in nearly every game. I hated the Quad Launcher, but I miss it now due to sweats. The Drum Gun should be nerfed in terms of damage, and be brought back as a Rare and Epic weapon as a counter to builds, but inferior to the P90 in terms of killing potential. I would like it JUST to counter builds, even though I'm pretty dang good (For a switch player anyway) at building. I just want some way to fight sweats.

You're not going to get it. Epic has demonstrated time and time again that the direction they want to take this game is into a more and more build-dependent meta. This is no longer a shooter. This is a builder game, with a shooting mechanic. If you don't spend time practicing building edits in playground mode, you aren't welcome here.
  1. Boards
  2. Fortnite
  3. Anybody else go from being really addicted to this game to not liking it at all?