You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dissidia: Final Fantasy NT
  3. Is it just me or does Zenos's moveset seem very basic/bland?

User Info: kewldude475

kewldude475
1 month ago#1
For the most part his attacks just look like very straightforward one hand sword slashes. Even one of his HP attacks is just him slashing the enemy three times at a moderate pace with nearly the same animations as his bravery attacks. Compare his moveset to Tidus who attacks with a flurry of sword strikes, dodges, and kicks, or Squall whose moveset is like him dancing with a sword, or Firion who attacks with multiple weapons. His attack animations look like something even I could easily pull off.

He doesn't look terrible in and of himself, but with only so many slots for DLC, his moveset looks very bland and he almost seems like a waste, even if it is good that FFXIV has a villain representative.
http://i.imgur.com/cHoFFAL.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ObkNHKb.png

User Info: Vanitas_Remnant

Vanitas_Remnant
1 month ago#2
Personally I don't think most of the characters are that unique in terms of the basic attack animations.

They shine more in their unique abilities and ex skills like Squalls Draw and trigger mechanics Or Locke's mug skill and sneak attack bonus. In terms of those I think Zenos' Sen ability is pretty cool since it gives him 3 additional brave attacks and a 2nd HP attack.
I feel a draft on my butt
(edited 1 month ago)

kewldude475
1 month ago#3
I’d have to disagree with that. There’s a clear difference between Tidus and Squall, Tidus has spinning kicks and sword slashes while Squall cuts you from many different angles while twisting and turning and spinning. or Cloud and Terra where Cloud slaps you with his huge sword and Terra bombards you with magic. Or Firion who uses many different types of weapons from electric rope knives to a magical wand to a bow and arrow. The attack animations are very different.

My point isn’t that his move set looks the same as other characters, just that his moves look very basic and simple, and lack any type of flair. His fighting style has no personality compared to other fighters in the game. Perhaps straightforward, get-the-job-done type strikes are intended to be how he fights, which is fine, but not for a DLC season with limited roster spots. If he were in the game to begin with I’d have no issues.

User Info: Vanitas_Remnant

Vanitas_Remnant
1 month ago#4
I guess I'm thinking less about characters look and more about how they play in that the basic functions of the attacks are generally the same e.g. the 3 hit base combo or that rapid-fire magic attack all Marksman have, so it was my mistake to refer to that as attack animations.
I feel a draft on my butt
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: MauroMartel

MauroMartel
1 month ago#5
Well, he IS a swordsman. Of which there are way too many in the game as it was pre Zenos. There are only so many ways you can use a sword, so probably every other swordsman they add will feel even less original or interesting. I thought that guy was a wasted slot from the very moment he was announced.
Honor above everything.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: icelos

icelos
1 month ago#6
I agree about the lack of flair, but honestly, I don't want him to be flashy with twirls and spins because of his ridiculous armor. I'm fine with his stance and simple slashes, but i suppose the color of his sword could be more pronounced.
Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.

kewldude475
1 month ago#7
MauroMartel posted...
Well, he IS a swordsman. Of which there are way too many in the game as it was pre Zenos. There are only so many ways you can use a sword, so probably every other swordsman they add will feel even less original or interesting. I thought that guy was a wasted slot from the very moment he was announced.

Yeah there are only so many ways you can use a sword, but I do think they could have thought of better looking combos for him than a two-handed single downward slash, to a sideways slash, to another downward slash to end it lol. One of his ranged attacks is him just swinging downward and shooting a single yellow crescent shockwave at the enemy. A far cry from Sephiroth's Zanshin where Sephiroth levitates and beautifully swings his sword to send 3 dark looking shockwaves at the opponent.

If he were in the game as the XIV antagonist to begin with I would have absolutely no problem with that, but for a season pass with only like, what, 5 slots? Seems like a waste due to his bland looking attacks with no personality.

icelos posted...
I agree about the lack of flair, but honestly, I don't want him to be flashy with twirls and spins because of his ridiculous armor. I'm fine with his stance and simple slashes, but i suppose the color of his sword could be more pronounced.

Like I said if he were in the game to begin with and didn't take up any season pass slots it'd be great. The armor excuse would be totally legit, and he would just come off as a precise and to the point fighter. Just that, armor or not, even though him having a super flashy fighting style with all that armor would look weird, it doesn't change that his style lacks flair.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: icelos

icelos
1 month ago#8
Maybe it will appeal to ffxiv players, i agree with u tho his moves don't look very exciting
Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.

User Info: _Sanaki_

_Sanaki_
1 month ago#9
icelos posted...
Maybe it will appeal to ffxiv players, i agree with u tho his moves don't look very exciting

Speaking as a XIV person nah.
Official Cosmos of the Dissidia 012: Duodecim Final Fantasy board. Official Rosalina + Luma of the Smash 4 boards.

User Info: I eat food

I eat food
1 month ago#10
They could have definitely given him more flash. But the same can be said of Golbez, Exdeath and Noctis. Some characters they have really phoned it in visually.
  1. Boards
  2. Dissidia: Final Fantasy NT
  3. Is it just me or does Zenos's moveset seem very basic/bland?