This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Ultra Sun
  3. Minaru's Battle Video Gathering and Den of Unconventional Team Ideas V 1.0

User Info: Minaru44

Minaru44
4 weeks ago#71
4RNW-WWWW-WWX5-TYXG

So yeah. You rarely see Kingdra anymore. I personally prefer/love it but in the Fairy-invested meta game (Ludicolo does almost everything better and hits Fini hard), it just can't compete most of the time... Unfortunately it's awkward for me in a rain duel. I got lucky on the Power Whips and getting ignored. I'm surprised my opponent didn't figure out (or didn't respect) that I was choice-locked into Power Whip because I certainly would have shot that Hydro Vortex into Ferrothorn at the end. Lucky flinch for the finish.

And so I'm back to +8 after the horrible Tuesday, roughly 20 points less though at 1624 but that's okay, I guess. I think it's a good point to take a break and get into Ultra series.
FC: 3841-0076-6306, IGN (USUM): Aurora
My Sheet: https://goo.gl/U1qVzv Looking for legit/uncloned Shinies and 0 Speed Primals

User Info: Joshsun

Joshsun
4 weeks ago#72
Minaru44 posted...
4RNW-WWWW-WWX5-TYXG

So yeah. You rarely see Kingdra anymore. I personally prefer/love it but in the Fairy-invested meta game (Ludicolo does almost everything better and hits Fini hard), it just can't compete most of the time... Unfortunately it's awkward for me in a rain duel. I got lucky on the Power Whips and getting ignored. I'm surprised my opponent didn't figure out (or didn't respect) that I was choice-locked into Power Whip because I certainly would have shot that Hydro Vortex into Ferrothorn at the end. Lucky flinch for the finish.

And so I'm back to +8 after the horrible Tuesday, roughly 20 points less though at 1624 but that's okay, I guess. I think it's a good point to take a break and get into Ultra series.

I still use Kingdra from time to time. Of course as you said, it is no longer the monster it was with the coming of fairies.
FC4399-2452-9478

Minaru44
4 weeks ago#73
It's mostly Fini being everywhere which is already hard enough to bring down if you have a supereffective move. Kingdra is practically useless against Fini while Ludicolo at least has a chance. I'd love to use Kingdra again really but it's just not feasible unless you tailor the entire rest of the team to make up for it. That guy had a Koko and Nihilego in team preview if I remember correctly, so I guess they can get around it.
My Sheet: https://goo.gl/U1qVzv Looking for legit/uncloned Shinies and 0 Speed Primals

Joshsun
4 weeks ago#74
Minaru44 posted...
It's mostly Fini being everywhere which is already hard enough to bring down if you have a supereffective move. Kingdra is practically useless against Fini while Ludicolo at least has a chance. I'd love to use Kingdra again really but it's just not feasible unless you tailor the entire rest of the team to make up for it. That guy had a Koko and Nihilego in team preview if I remember correctly, so I guess they can get around it.

Yeah I use a Fini with modest nature and ivs for bulk. Took like 2 hours of soft reseting, but I caught it with HP fire so if a grass type switches in, there going to get hit hard with HP fire on the switch. Many a ferrothorn felt it lol.

So yeah its bulky and hits hard. Granted its not as bulky as nature benefit bulky Fini's are, but it can still take a SE hit most often.
FC4399-2452-9478
(edited 4 weeks ago)

Minaru44
4 weeks ago#75
It's even worse in Doubles. If you don't have a concrete answer out, it can just sit there and destroy you, especially with the right partner. It's made even worse since it can be hard to tell which set it is running. Calm Mind Berry? Waterium Z? Specs even? If you prepare to deal with a berry and then get caught by a Hydro Vortex it's not funny. Especially since with a Calm Mind set, you sometimes deliberately have to make the first shot less powerful to not trigger it.

And the things that can OHKO it are very sparse shy of a Z-Move or Koko/Bulu in terrain. So it will almost always be able to do SOMETHING. lol

It also gives a new dimension to VGC now as a raw support, making PDon even WORSE with Gravity/Haze/Heal Pulse/Swagger etc.

Urgh, trying to figure out a not-so-standard way to make a Kyogre team work. I think I finally have a rudimentary draft that has some unexpected things but I have no idea if it works. It probably won't at all.

Joshsun
4 weeks ago#76
Yesterday was pretty bad. 1-3 lol. They were all sort of close losses. But the one that burns me the most is the 2nd one were it came down to 1 on 1 Pokémon His Greninja vs my non mega Scizor. I felt I may of had a chance here, but no, Greninja pulls out HP fire and turns into a fire type in the process(Funny since its consider a normal move lol) and one shots my Scizor who is 4 times weak to fire.

If it had Ice beam, or something, I felt I may of had a chance lol.
FC4399-2452-9478

Minaru44
4 weeks ago#77
From the team I tested on Free Battles. Aside from wanting to give Doubles a rest period anyway, I am reluctant to try this on regular Rating. It can be quite powerful but I'm not sure how it fares against the top meta.

The Core

Togekiss @ Safety Googles
252 HP / 116 Def / 136 SpD / 4 Spe
- Follow Me
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Protect

Lives any strong normal special attack, including Charizard-Y +252 SpA Overheat
+1 116+ Atk Aerilate Salamence-Mega Frustration vs. 252 HP / 116 Def Togekiss: 157-186 (81.7 - 96.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 252 Atk Tyranitar-Mega Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 116 Def Togekiss: 158-188 (82.2 - 97.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Parental Bond Kangaskhan-Mega Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 116 Def Togekiss: 127-150 (66.1 - 78.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

The only thing among common threads that can OHKO are Z-Moves or Metagross/Mawilie Iron Head (not even physical Aegislash Iron Head).

Safety Googles was chosen over berry to reliably redirect any Amoongus/Venusaur thinking it can spam Spore/Sleep Powder.

Timid Comfey @ Mental Herb
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
- After You
- Floral Healing
- Taunt
- Trick Room

The real star of the team. lol

Brave Snorlax @ Figy Berry
228 HP / 4 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Def / 20 SpD
- Return
- Stomping Tantrum
- Protect
- Belly Drum

A combination of TT and Smogon Spread (sacrifices living an Adamant Choice Bands Landos Superpower since those are very rare for guaranteeing to live a Leles Shattered Psyche)

252 Atk Metagross Iron Head vs. 228 HP / 252 Def Snorlax: 73-87 (27.6 - 32.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

252+ Atk Parental Bond Kangaskhan-Mega Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 228 HP / 252 Def Snorlax: 187-222 (70.8 - 84%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Kartana Sacred Sword vs. 228 HP / 252 Def Snorlax: 136-160 (51.5 - 60.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

116+ Atk Aerilate Salamence-Mega Frustration vs. 228 HP / 252 Def Snorlax: 117-138 (44.3 - 52.2%) -- 16% chance to 2HKO

252+ Atk Landorus-Therian Superpower vs. 228 HP / 252 Def Snorlax: 168-198 (63.6 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Play Rough vs. 228 HP / 252 Def Snorlax: 150-177 (56.8 - 67%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

196+ Atk Incineroar Flare Blitz vs. 228 HP / 252 Def Snorlax: 102-121 (38.6 - 45.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Tapu Koko Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 228 HP / 20 SpD Snorlax in Electric Terrain: 165-195 (62.5 - 73.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 252+ SpA Kommo-o Focus Blast vs. 228 HP / 20 SpD Snorlax: 254-302 (96.2 - 114.3%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO (you should really not bring Snorlax here!)

252+ SpA Tapu Lele Shattered Psyche (175 BP) vs. 228 HP / 20 SpD Snorlax in Psychic Terrain: 222-262 (84 - 99.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I had to drop Recyle eventually to fit in Protect. You just can't set up reliably in the presence of Incineroar (or other Fake Out users) without it and I need HH to hit Gengar and other ghosts... not called Oricorio (as I learned to my chargrin yesterday that I can't HIT Ghost/Flying... same with Driftblim I guess).

Adamant Azumarill @ Normalium Z
244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 SpD
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Protect

Knock Off was chosen to hit stuff like Metagross, Cresselia etc. effectively. I went with Normalium Z to get a Belly Drum off even if faced with heavy spread moves Turn 1 but find myself barely in this situation, meaning I actually lose some HP in the process of setting up.
(edited 4 weeks ago)

Minaru44
4 weeks ago#78
The last 2

I considered a lot of things from a Tapu (Lele or Fini) to other stuff but eventually landed on those two.

Jolly Hitmontop @ Focus Sash
196 HP / 252 Atk / 60 Spe
- Fake Out
- Helping Hand
- Wide Guard
- Close Combat

Yeah, should be Adamant. But this the Shiny I bred some time ago, so I wanted a chance to use it. The speed EVs are set for outspeeding uninvested Rotom forms... Yeah. It was the closest thing I could find on the Speed tier list which I might want to hit first that was remotely useful and didn't require full investment. ;)

Adamant A.Marowak @ Thick Club
244 HP / 76 Atk / 188 SpD
- Flare Blitz
- Ally Switch
- Shadow Bone
- Protect

This was the one I had on my rain team in the beginning, so I just dropped it into the slot, could probably be optimized more since it's role is poor Lightningrod/Ally Switch support mostly. But it provides some offense presence occasionally. I had a Dual Screen/Heal Pulse Fini in its place but practically never fielded it. This takes care of Electric types handily.

The basic strategy is actually quite simple.

Togekiss + Drummer, Comfey and whatever I feel fits best in the back. Sometimes I even bring in a second drummer, especially Azumarill in case I need to pick something off with a quick Aqua Jet.
Use Follow Me to set up and wreck havoc until Togekiss falls. If a prediction can be made, Protect a turn and use Roost to make Togekiss live longer.
Once Togekiss falls. Comfey comes in and either spams Floral Healing or uses After You to get the drummer to pick off priority threats that are slower than Comfey. Taunt is there to screw over rather obvious setups and Trick Room is obvious. IF I can get away it (which is rarely the case), I try to set it and then just spam healing. ^_^

I think I'll give Comfey the Sash for Gengar alone. I'm also thinking of bringing in MegaKang... perhaps for Hitmontop. While I'd lose Wide Guard, I'd gain an extra threat the opponent can't just ignore plus it makes a great check to Gengar with Scrappy Fake Out and Sucker Punch. I'd have to do an ORAS one though to use Power-up Punch.

HJFW-WWWW-WWX5-VTXF

Yes, that rain team had Tornadus-T AND a Thundurus-T which was actually kinda cool. Too bad it was probably the wrong thing to bring.

V7AW-WWWW-WWX5-VTXQ
JTRG-WWWW-WWX5-VT2X

Both for some showcasing as to how effective this team can be. I was particularly satisfied with the second since my major weakness to Sludge Bomb Gengar makes it very hard to set up. Not sure if this one even had Sludge Bomb, so I may have worried for nothing. I actually fielded in the reverse order here, fully banking on getting the Ally Switch off. Kinda surprised Marowak actually hung in there.
(edited 4 weeks ago)

Minaru44
4 weeks ago#79
Belly Drum Snorlax is scary enough that it could even OHKO Pdon with HH... but honestly getting it set up and actually moving first if two slots are practically reserved for Restricted is nigh impossible. Especially since everyone has countermeasures to setup because of Geomancy anyway.

Minaru44
3 weeks ago#80
So, I finally clobbered something together that I found to be remotely... different and yet somewhat workable. I'm sure it will probably fall apart very soon but at least I can finally dip into Ultra series for a bit.

Bold Kyogre
204 HP / 228 Def / 44 SpA / 4 SpD /28 Spe
- Origin Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Thunder
- Protect

While I think I can get away with Water Spout, it depends too much on positioning and Finis Heal Pulse. Not sure yet. I need both Ice Beam and Thunder honestly since I can't really only on Manectric for opposing Ogres and I struggle to hit Salamence and MegaRay hard enough.

Adamant Ho-oh @ Flynium Z
212 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 36 Spe
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird
- Tailwind
- Recover

This thing can tank a lot of stuff while still doing respectable damage. Either with Supersonic Skystrike or by going Z-Tailwind and banking on crits. I really wanted to do a KyoRay team but every single construction attempt left me unsatisfied in theory until I came up with this team. I really just wish they'd release Regenerator. That could make Kyo/Ho-oh actually rather strong.

252 SpA Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 212 HP / 4 SpD Ho-Oh: 86-104 (41.3 - 50%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO (out of terrain)

252 SpA Tapu Koko Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 212 HP / 4 SpD Ho-Oh: 168-198 (80.7 - 95.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (out of terrain)

44+ SpA Kyogre-Primal Origin Pulse vs. 212 HP / 4 SpD Ho-Oh in Heavy Rain: 182-216 (87.5 - 103.8%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

44+ SpA Kyogre-Primal Scald vs. 212 HP / 4 SpD Ho-Oh in Heavy Rain: 176-210 (84.6 - 100.9%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

+2 252 SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 212 HP / 4 SpD Ho-Oh: 74-87 (35.5 - 41.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

+2 84+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 212 HP / 4 SpD Ho-Oh: 72-85 (34.6 - 40.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Ultra Necrozma Light That Burns the Sky vs. 212 HP / 4 SpD Ho-Oh: 142-168 (68.2 - 80.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Adamant Mudsale @ Assault Vest
Ability: Inner Focus
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
- High Horsepower
- Heavy Slam
- Payback
- Counter

Since the point of my team is to do something out of the norm. This is the one that will give opponents pause.

2HKOes almost every common restricted except Rayquaza (Counter though) and Yveltal as long as unintimidated. Which is what Haze Fini is for actually, but more on that later.

+2 Modest Xerneas at full investment is only a 18.8% chance to OHKO by which point Heavy Slam will have done the job. Never mind that as long as Fini is there, it can't set up. Not to mention Modest 252 is likely not going to exist since Modest is actually the bulky set which still has a high chance of being 2HKOed, especially if kept helpless by Haze. It can tank quite a number of surprising stuff while still hitting back relatively hard. Just have to keep it away from opposing Ogre.

Counter was chosen for Groudon situations where I don't feel to good about surving long enough or something like MegaRay.

Inner Focus works better in conjuncture with Haze Fini. The idea is that most Incineroar will likely try to stop Mudsale with Fake Out. If that happens, Fini can Haze away the Intimidate and potentially a Xerneas/Groudon/Rayquaza trying to set up and Mudsale can hit back hard at full power. Stamina is nice but with the kind of raw damage the likes of PDon and MegaRay can dish out, it is likely not to do a whole lot in the long run.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Ultra Sun
  3. Minaru's Battle Video Gathering and Den of Unconventional Team Ideas V 1.0