This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Ultra Sun
  3. Minaru's Battle Video Gathering and Den of Unconventional Team Ideas V 1.0

User Info: Minaru44

Minaru44
1 month ago#1
While I'm not sure if anyone is interested at this point, but I like to have a place to showcase my battle videos, I decided to create this. Not just for me but everyone who wants to share their battle experiences with the rest of us.

I mainly play Battle Spot Doubles/VGC for fun, trying out different ideas that are usually either unconventional/gimmicky or conventional with a slight twist somewhere. So that's what you will usually see from me.

If you wish to share unconventional team ideas, you may also do so. I will do the same occasional. Maybe we can help each other to make them better.

At this point it's become rather erratic when I actually battle or completely ignore Pokemon for weeks while I do other things, so you may experience downtime here and there and then a bunch of rapid input.

My first batch of videos today is mix of stuff I did this week, between my Z-Psych Up Kyogre/Xerneas VGC team (copied from here: https://www.trainertower.com/raindeers-resurrection-teambuilding-analysis/), my experimental return to a slightly different (from what I'm used to) Rain team and a couple of other ideas I came up with over the week and just finished building for a first trial run yesterday and today.

I'll discuss the teams below. First the videos.

TPPG-WWWW-WWX4-MVWV

THIS was what actually started one of my new team ideas.
I was so freaked out at seeing a Smeargle use Geomancy. When Fini fell to the second Hyper Voice, I was sure I'd not get through it. Thankfully that Smeargle obviously didn't have a Follow Me or something similar, so Swampert could clean up the rest.

GYMW-WWWW-WWX4-MVXJ

I have largely discarded this team by now, at least in this version. But Swagger Fini along with Choice Band Ferrothorn was partially the trick, it works for Swampert and in this very rare case Marowak too, but is rather tricky to pull off. That said, I think that was a match where almost every call was just right.

EDPG-WWWW-WWX4-MV22

Alright, that one was brutal.

The burn at the start was really useful, so was getting rid of the Assault Vest on Yveltal. It might have been tempting to attack with Kyogre when I finally had it in a spot I needed but since mine is bulky and slower than Yveltal, I didn't want to eat the Snarl and be generally useless without health, so I rather used the moment to heal and just have it there to chip down so that Xerneas could clean up (without ever once using Geomancy lol). When Groudon Sword Danced I was a tad worried but it played out. 15 turns, phew.

LAZG-WWWW-WWX4-MV2D

Another crazy (long) one. Back to my Rain Team.

Tapu Fini against Tapu Fini is always very bad for me. With the Calm Mind slot filled by Swagger, it's generally a free turn for them. I'm once again amazed at how bulky Swampert can be. Hung on at 15 HP despite taking a +1 Twinkle Tack through Protect followed by a Moonblast, had to switch out which turned out to work perfectly. I was lucky Cresselia switched out when it did instead of using Ally Switch again.

J5JG-WWWW-WWX4-MV38

And another.

Turn 1 I honestly hoped Xerneas would Geomancy so that I could Psych Up. It didn't. After that... no, I did not want to Water Spout then. I actually misclicked... and scored a Critical. Amazingly Tornadus kept on the field until Turn 7 despite losing the berry and in the presence of a Xerneas and Kyurem-B, setting Tailwind twice and landing a blind Hurricane... wow. In fact it actually took down Kyurem by itself because it was ignored the entire time.
FC: 3841-0076-6306, IGN (USUM): Aurora
My Sheet: https://goo.gl/U1qVzv Looking for legit/uncloned Shinies and 0 Speed Primals

Minaru44
1 month ago#2
Still almost screwed it up at the end. I didn't expect Kartana to hang through my Sacred Sword or to Protect when it did. When it was 2 on 2 it was kind of do or die. I COULD have Protected with Kyogre and use the turn to take Kartana down. But their Kartana could have hit Incineroar instead. In the end just doing both played out because I knew my Incineroar was faster and I'd likely outlast the opposing one, barring Criticals.

SCWW-WWWW-WWX4-MV3P

Indeed. That's a Miltank. More on that below.

The start was catastrophic honestly. That wasn't the actual idea behind it. I was amazed I actually got my Azumarill set up. Rain-powered +6 Aqua Jet is crazy. It tore right through Snorlax... though Porygon actually survived one.

K7GW-WWWW-WWX4-MV4D

Honestly... this was just ugly. In fact this is what happens when a crazy idea meets a crazy idea.

Just... OMG. I can't believe I actually won that. Got really lucky with the hits there. That and because my opponent got so greedy instead of starting to actually hit something with that Mudsale.

If you want to see something crazy, then watch this.

8YCG-WWWW-WWX4-MV53

And last one for today. I have two versions of this team. One with Lando and this one with Gastrodon. This was testing phase for the latter.

Called the switch, got the Encore and Recover, took the Groundium Z and Gastrodon proceeded to clean house.

The benefit of this version is that Gastrodon can actually profit from Skill Swap Sap Sipper as well. However, I found it generally inferior to the Lando version which did better but the battles weren't that interesting.

To be honest, I am unsure if I actually would have won this. Fini was just in berry range and I used up my own Tectonic Range for Gothielle. I needed Salamence at this point for both, so it could have gotten really tricky depending on Protect call, especially since all my Raichu has is Electroweb... which my opponent didn't know I guess. I also forgot to replace Wish with Rain Dance on Raichu as I had actually planned for exactly these kind of Charizard situations.

I'll provide the teams behind this bit by bit, so as not to overwhelm readers.
My Sheet: https://goo.gl/U1qVzv Looking for legit/uncloned Shinies and 0 Speed Primals

Minaru44
1 month ago#3
First my rain team (currently in flux).

Pelipper, Swampert, Ludicolo are the core. My Pelipper is slightly unconventional being a bulky Bold Damp Rock one, with Hurricane, Tailwind, Protect and one changing move. But it has been with me since I restarted the series with Sun & Moon and my first ever competitive tournament and I generally like it that way. It gets some real surprise from people who think they can power through it to remove my setter quickly. The other two are standard (Ice Punch on Swampert, Energy Ball, Ice Beam, Z-Hydro Pump on Ludicolo). Ferrothorn is a Choice Band variant (with Knock Off and Iron Head as supplement moves) because I wanted something different. This brought me to utilizing Swagger Fini actually. I had a couple of initial ideas for the last slot but bulky A.Marowak with Shadow Bone, Flare Blitz, Ally Switch and Low Kick (for Snorlax surprise) saw the "most" use, a brief use of Volcarona... Togedamaru never saw real testing. It worked for awhile but then kind of fell apart, so I switched it up a bit. Which brings me to...

Azumarill+
Calm Miltank @ Choice Scarf
92 HP / 220 SpD / 196 Spe
- After You
- Helping Hand
- Icy Wind/Thunder Wave
- Rain Dance

Outspeeds everything unboosted up to Mega Sceptile.

The basic idea was to have something that can help Azumarill move first even without utilizing Aqua Jet (against resistant foes, PT up etc.). So I needed something fast. Which gave birth to this slightly crazy idea. I think I freaked out a few people when they saw a Miltank on a serious team. ;) Honestly this still needs ironic out. I actually never got to do the After You thing yet. So I'm not sure... It also makes things problematic in several other areas since I don't have a proper Kartana/Ferrothorn counter anymore. While +6 Azumarill can probably deal with the former, the latter is a different matter. I know Miltank can learn Seismic Toss and originally had it planned but only realized after breeding that it is an Egg Move. Maybe I'll redo it at some point.

An alternative to Miltank I have bred up but have yet to test is Comfey. It plays a slightly different role but it gets Floral Healing and Taunt next to HH and After You. Floral Healing could really help out the team, not just Azumarill. Especially my less bulky Ferrothorn.
(edited 1 month ago)

Minaru44
1 month ago#4
Team 2

Modest Tapu Fini @ Iapapa Berry
236 HP / 108 Def / 132 SpA / 28 SpD / 4 Spe
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Protect

Jolly Stantler @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sap Sipper
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
- Skill Swap
- Gravity
- Reflect
- Toxic

Timid Raichu @ Focus Sash
252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
- Fake Out
- Electroweb
- Encore
- Rain Dance

Jolly Mega Salamence @ Salamencite
116 HP / 116 Atk / 4 Def / 100 SpD / 172 Spe
- Return
- Roost
- Dragon Dance
- Protect

Relaxed Gothielle @ Aguav Berry
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
- Psychic
- Ally Switch
- Trick Room
- Heal Pulse

Adamant Landorus @ Groundium Z
12 HP / 140 Atk / 4 Def / 100 SpD / 252 Spe
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-Turn
- Superpower

-or-

Modest Gastrodon @ Groundium Z
156 HP / 196 Def / 140 SpA /4 SpD /12 Spe
- Earth Power
- Scald
- Recover
- Protect

The idea was to take one of the biggest annoyances in Doubles, mainly Tapu Fini and make it even more of an annoyance. So... Finis only real weaknesses are Grass, Electric and Poison. Mega Gengar aside, poison is rare in this format. So... what if we give Fini Sap Sipper. And having Lightning Rod support in the mix! Sounds fun in theory... the problem is, it is a good bit too passive for my liking so far. Still needs some ironing, ideas are welcome but let me elaborate on what I have.

I wanted to use a pure Bold 252 HP / 252 Def Fini but that would have made it even more passive without a few Calm Minds, so I went with a fairly standard set I still had prepped from way back for now.

Stantler is the gimmick. Usually you see these to Skill Swap Intimidate around, either for your benefit, trigger your own Competitive or something like that. That at least is what I encountered here and there. But it has Sap Sipper as well. The rest is mainly filler. Gravity theoretically to make sure Muddy Water doesn't miss... if it survives that long. Toxic for flying stuff or if the terrain runs out/get overridden, Reflect is obvious. Generally Stantler won't survive past swapping Sap Sipper, of course.

I debated on a lot of Lightningrod user but came back to Raichu in the end because of the support options it provides.

Salamence took the Mega slot to provide a powerful physical hitter and give extra options against Grass types etc. I really wasn't sure which Mega to best run here but since this also gave me an Intimidate option which is helpful for Fini, I stuck with that.

Gothielle is to trap, annoy, Trick Room if necessary (or reverse it) and provide Heal Pulse support. Psychic can put pressure on Gengar too.

This leaves the choice between Lando and Gastrodon. I wanted something to hit Gengar and possible Metagross with since both are troublesome for Fini, so something with Tectonic Rage had to be in there. From the bit of testing I did, the Lando version did better but Gastrodon profits from Sap Sipper... Well, Stantler can swap around Lando's Intimidate as well I guess.

Minaru44
1 month ago#5
And now...

Team 3

Smeargle @ Power Herb
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
- Fake Out
- Geomancy
- Baton Pass
- Follow Me

Modest Kommo-o
244 SpA / 12 SpD / 252 Spe
- Clanging Scales
- Flamethrower
- Shockwave
- Protect

Survives standard Calm Mind Fini Moonblast after Geomancy boost

Tapu Lele @ Iapappa Berry
4 HP / 12 Def / 236 SpA / 252 Spe
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psychic
- HP Fire
- Protect

196+ Atk Incineroar Flare Blitz vs. 4 HP / 12 Def Tapu Lele: 123-145 (84.2 - 99.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 4 HP / 12 Def Tapu Lele: 123-145 (84.2 - 99.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Golduck @ Choice Scarf
Cloud Nine
252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
- Soak
- Encore
- Yawn
- Scald

Standard Incineroar
- Fake Out
- Flare Blitz
- Knock Off
- U-Turn

Bold Togekiss @ Wiki Berry / Psychic Seed / Red Card
252 HP / 252
- Follow Me
- Reflect
- Tailwind
- Air Slash

The biggest issue is... getting it set up. Smeargle without Focus Sash tends to be a dead Smeargle very fast. So I have to go and scare them. Lead with either Kommo-o or Lele perhaps or otherwise goad them into ignoring Smeargle long enough to get one boost up.

Soak Golduck is meant to provide ways to get around resistances. Shockwave on Kommo-o is for Fini though it's more an emergency thing.

To be honest, I'm still not quite satisfied with the setup. But it's the best I could come up with right now. Geomancied Lele is like a light Xerneas version but you can feel the difference of not having Fairy Aura and most Incineroar here being AV compared to VGC. HP Fire is for Ferrothorn, but also Metagross, Celesteela etc. I debated Ground but you get so much output with Psychic you can tear through Heatran (plus Flash Cannon is special). I was thinking of using Specs but I had the flexibility loss, so I went with a berry to make optimum use of boosted bulk.

An alternate idea I've been tossing around in my head today is to make a similar setup but with Kommo-o and Charizard. +2 Zard Y is... scary. They also have good synergy since Zard heavily threatens any Fini with Solarbeam. I would leave Smeargle and Incineroar as is (though I may run Low Kick over U-Turn for Heatran and Snorlax just in case). Whimsicott would take Golducks place (Tailwind but especially Fake Tears support). Not sure on the last slot. It probably has to be a Tapu to take away dangerous Terrain. Lele could profit again but it would be hindering Fake Out support and Whimsicott, besides... I may have enough special output, so I was thinking Choice Band Bulu. Grassy Terrain is the least problematic and it can OHKO uninvested Landos at -1 with Wood Hammer. Scarf Lando could otherwise be a real problem in certain combinations as a lead.

Minaru44
1 month ago#6
And another.

Annoyingly enough. The one before that I finally got to utilize After You Miltank with Azumarill. Would have caught their Bulu cold...... Play Rough missed, match ruined. DAMN IT.

But...

3XXW-WWWW-WWX4-ZGYX

From the team preview I honestly considered this a lost case. It was 1700+ opponent and neither my Lele or Kommo-o were in a good position, the former was the lesser evil. But I worried about Haze on that Milotic. Either it didn't have one or didn't use it. I was also freaking lucky that Koko switched out when it did. The Icy Winds were problematic but better than Haze and I even got a Tailwind up to mitigate that. The SpD boost was nice, especially since it was all special on the other side (not that it ever came into play) but the accuracy worried me, never missed though. I'm glad I brought Incineroar in the last slot, that probably caused them to finally forfeit, lol.

I call this an upset victory since from Team Preview alone I rated my chances very, very low. One Haze would have dropped them to zero.

Minaru44
1 month ago#7
Only one (Doubles) match from today. Don't have much time on Monday usually, so it was just this and a for once sucessful VGC dip but that was so surprisingly clear cut (considering the matchup), it wasn't worth saving and we are 10 videos anyway.

645W-WWWW-WWX4-QZH3

Field test of Comfey variant of the rain team and it already did "some" work.
THIS is why l love bulky Pelipper. Granted Sash Pelipper could have taken the hit with the Sash as well and it wouldn't have made a difference here... But just look at it, it took a Crit Leaf Blade from Kartana and got rid of the biggest threat.
Of course, Sky Drop Koko surprised me somewhat and threw me off for a bit. The Waterium Z call was a shaky one. I actually forgot I could have used Fake Out as well... but it worked out. It's rare I let rain run out naturally with Damp Rock but in this case the final switch and After You sealed the match.

Minaru44
1 month ago#8
Still here. I've been tinkering with some stuff, more on a theroretical basis. Though I've actually went back to my rain team more often, trying a few other combinations for the last slow while growing to prefer Comfey over Miltank. Lately I've been running Xurkitree in the last slot, theoretically to make use of After You and serve as an extra Anti-Charizard in what are actually rather frequent weather battles.

The newest idea I just put to a short field test (with lacklusteer result) is this...

Geomancied Mega Altaria

Smeargle @ Power Herb
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
- Geomancy
- Baton Pass
- Follow Me
- King's Shield

Modest Altaria @ Altarite
252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
- Hyper Voice
- Flamethrower
- Cotton Guard
- Roost

Adamant Incineroar @ Assault Vest
- Fake Out
- Flare Blitz
- Knock Off
- U-Turn

Adamant Gyarados @ Waterium Z
76 HP / 60 Atk / 120 SpD / 252 Spe
- Aqua Tail
- Ice Fang
- Taunt
- Protect

OHKOs 252 HP / 0 Def Incineroar with Hydro Vortext at -1
OHKOs uninvested Heatran with Hydro Vortext at -1
OHKOs Charizard Y in Sun with Hydro Vortex (!!!)
-1 180 Atk Gyarados Hydro Vortex (175 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 170-204 (96.5 - 115.9%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
Can potentially survive a double-in from Modest Solar Beam Charizard Y and Sludge Bomb Venusaur

Tapu Lele @ Normalium Z
4 HP / 12 Def / 236 SpA / 252 Spe
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psych Up
- Protect

Relaxed Amoongus @ Payapa Berry
244 HP / 196 Def / 68 SpD
- Rage Powder
- Spore
- Clear Smog
- Sludge Bomb

The biggest problem and the reason why I'm starting to understand how gimmicky Geomancy Smeargle is... the time to set up. Especially in Doubles, you need a good bit of luck, not get Taunted, not get caught on the switch etc. It's too much what ifs unfortunately. I lost for 4 in a row (granted the first was me stupidly having accidentally put a Mental Herb on Smeargle lol ... and I actually got the Geomancy off despite the odds in that match, gah) before finally getting two wins. One was really lucky, the other was actually good positioning. The basic strategy is unfortunately really simple and if you can't get Geomancy off and passed, you are screwed. It goes like this...

Lead: Smeargle + Incineroar, Altaria/Gyarados (if Heatran or too much entry damage potential for Altaria) & Amoongus in the back
- Fake Out & Geomancy first turn if possible
- King Shield kite an attack while Incineroar U-Turns or hard switches out into Amoongus
- Baton Pass and Rage Powder
- Set up Cotton Guard or Roost, depending what is on the field, if Amoongus survived, Rage Powder again or if you feel it can work, Spore
- If Amoongus is KO'ed, Fake Out with Incineroar
- Roost if still needed, otherwise start attacking

(If no Fake Out is expected or you need to gamble with a direct threat)
Lead: Smeargle+Altaria/Lele, Amoongus/Incineroar/Gyarados/Lele in the back (bring Lando for Heatran mainly)
- Mega Evolve first turn and just Roost, hoping the opponent focuses on Altaria, Geomancy
- Switch Altaria for whatever is best
- Baton Pass back into now Mega Altaria

Gyarados can be the surprise nuke against something. I actually went Z-Psych Up for Lele because it could allow me to bring it in after Geomancy and Psych Up while Smeargle King Shield's... Didn't get such a convenient opportunity though.

It's fun in theory but too awkward and slow in reality.

User Info: Joshsun

Joshsun
1 month ago#9
Yeah I am not great at doubles myself lol. Only have a few Pokémon I breed can in theory be used in doubles lol.
FC4399-2452-9478
(edited 1 month ago)

Minaru44
1 month ago#10
So...

The difference one event can make...

I have written up some ideas for the new Defiant Passimian and discovered how an AV set can make an incredible anti-meta annoyance.

Not gonna type it again. See here: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/210930-pokemon-ultra-sun/77597655

I trained one up real quick and inserted it into one of my Geomancy Smeargle team ideas. The end result was definitely worth it so far. While I only won 3 out of 5, both losses were either due to a minor wrong call or incredible bad luck. Lando got a crit in one on my Geomancied Kommo-o with Earthquake, it lived but at 8 HP and under TR... Double Protect failed and a frustrating loss due to bad luck because my positioning was perfect. It was just a Zard Y left which would have posed no problem without the crit.

I totally screwed over an 1770ish opponent right away. ;)

Smeargle @ Power Herb
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
- Fake Out
- Geomancy
- Baton Pass
- Follow Me

Modest Kommo-o
244 SpA / 12 SpD / 252 Spe
- Clanging Scales
- Flamethrower
- Shockwave
- Protect

Timid Charizard @ Charizardite Y
44 HP / 4 Def / 148 SpA / 100 SpD / 212 Spe
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Overheat
- Protect

Timid Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
252 HP / 252 Spe
- Encore
- Fake Tears
- Tailwind
- Taunt

Passimian @ Assault Vest
Jolly Nature
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 20 HP / 4 Atk / 12 Def / 228 SpD / 244 Spe
- Close Combat
- Gunk Shot
- Rock Tomb
- Knock Off

Jolly Tapu Koko @ Choice Band
- Wild Charge
- Iron Head
- Sky Drop
- U-Turn

The last two slots were originally Incineroar and Bulu... After several attempts I had to conclude that without a proper Fighting/Ground move, I actually had trouble dealing damage to Incineroar.

AV Passimian can take some impressive damage, put Koko and Lele into red, KO Bulu and two shot Fini... assuming Gunk Shot luck. The fact that AV tanks so well, actually forces my opponent to acknowledge Passimian, giving me more freedom even if the first shot fails... And +1 CC destroys Incineroar which is always a plus.

I was debating between either Tapu other than Bulu but eventually settled for the odd choice of Band Koko. Passimian can force Incineroar out, giving more freedom to physical sweepers and Banded Wild Charge can possibly get rid of Fini in one go even out of terrain. Iron Head can snipe Lele. Sky Drop can be used in approriate situations with say one faster and one slower (special attacker) in a Koko+Smeargle lead to get Geomancy up relatively safe and then Baton Pass out before they come back down.

I may change Follow Me to King's Shield for positioning. It's a tough choice. After Smeargle Baton Passes and comes back in later it often only gets one turn. Fake Out in the setup gives me more options since the team can actually function without a successful Geomancy (albeit less effective). So I need to keep it. Problem is Smeargle can be totally ignored after its turn of Fake Out after that. Of course, using Follow Me means it falls anyway, so it's a mood point. Fake Out serves better for opening play.

Whimsicott can get really nasty. In my second win I got it out for free next to my Geomancied Charizard (who also got a lucky Moody boost to SpD). Fake Tears into Mega Blaziken+Heat Wave = OHKO.

This can still be improved but it's actually looking very nice right now. I may drop Overheat though. I don't need Fighting coverage anymore but it's problematic for Charizard mirrors and other stuff. Air Slash/Dragon Pulse (Hydreigon, Kommo-o etc.) maybe or a second Tailwind option since I often don't have the room to bring Whimsicott.

A Geomancied Charizard is scary... but so is a Geomancied Kommo-o throwing out a Clangerous Soulblaze. It tore through Cressie at near full health.

Videos will come later.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Ultra Sun
  3. Minaru's Battle Video Gathering and Den of Unconventional Team Ideas V 1.0