This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Ultra Sun
  3. Gym leaders that were legit hard for you?

User Info: Zero0X0

Zero0X0
4 weeks ago#31
Weird flex but ok
3DS FC: 1908-0559-8154
PSN: ClearSky25

User Info: Andrex_93

Andrex_93
4 weeks ago#32
My memory isn't scarred by Whitney like others, but I do think I remember losing to her a bunch.

Clair was also tough with her Dragon without weakness and the f***ing Paralysis and Accuracy reduction.

Heck, a lot of the Johto Leaders weren't push-overs, for me, but this is also talking, like, a 6 year old me playing with mainly Feraligatr. Obviously I'm talking GS, not HGSS.

gbchaosmaster posted...
RS Wattson.

If you choose not to have a Ground, Fighting or Fire type at that point in the game (and there's not a huge selection of them) or use X-items, chances are you can't touch Magneton.

This (with the removal of Emerald because of the different team): in my first Hoenn venture I picked Treecko, in Ruby, and it was essentially the only sufficiently trained mon; it has nothing it can do against Magneton, so I remember a lot of grinding.. And loosing.. I managed to get Leaf Blade before beating him.. I think it was after that point that I seriously look for another main Pokémon to use. Indeed, I remember thinking I didn't have as many fans at the Fan Club exactly because of how many times I lost to Wattson.

Sivle15 posted...
Why do people have trouble with whitney and her miltank? I didnt have much trouble on Crystal. Unless it was buffed out on HGSS. I just used Rocky(onix from trading bellsprout to that kid) and teached him rock smash. That and curse with my gastly did good damage to it.

For that point in the game, her ace is speedy and bulky, has various ways to not let you attack (excluding Clefairy shenanigans, she has Stomp to flinch you and Attract), has a healing Move and an incrementally more powerful Move of a strong offensive Type. Whitney was, in fact, so hard that they had to tailor-made an in-game Trade to allow you to have essentially the closest to a perfect counter you can have for that point of the game (Female Machop), and technically that's still not enough, considering she can flinch you.

Obviously people who know what they're doing won't found her too hard, and it also depends on team composition, but, from a game balance standpoint, she is pretty rough, for that point in the game. Almost all of the Johto Leaders are, actually (especially compared to today's "lul, I'm the last Leader and my mon has 3 Moves that don't synergize at all"); of course, it also depends on your team composition.. The only one that is almost always a push-over no matter your team is probably Pryce.
"Actors are agents of change. A film, a piece of theater, a piece of music, or a book can make a difference. It can change the world." - Alan Rickman

User Info: Ohmygosh_Josh

Ohmygosh_Josh
4 weeks ago#33
Whoooah, this board is still active? I haven't been here for months! Damn, it seems like nothing has changed much.

Ok. Ummm. Gym leaders.

Whitney was one, that Miltank should be exterminated from existence.

I had a little bit of difficulty too with Tate & Liza, only just cause stupid old me choose stupid Blaziken.

And can Totems count? That Vikavolt was insane! Oh, and Lurantis too.
A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid.

User Info: Rose_Mage

Rose_Mage
4 weeks ago#34
The only gym leader that gave me issues was...

...Burgh lol

I do not consider him hard though, for obvious reasons, my team was just....Not fitting to face him. If I did not have Victini with me I would have been toasted lol
Official Parvati and Beth of the SMTIV board, The_Sol_Blader's loving wife

User Info: Anthayashi

Anthayashi
4 weeks ago#35
jw91 posted...
Brock (if you chose Charmander): Yes, he's mostly a pushover, but the solution to beating him is not immediately obvious to a total series beginner who chose Charmander, especially since many beginning players in Gen I could easily miss Mankey or not know that double-kick is a fighting-type move.

In RB, if you pick Charmander, the only other option is to use Butterfree with Confusion. The Nidos do not have access to Double Kick that early, and Mankey is not found until Route 5. Only in Yellow they make Double Kick accessible earlier and move Mankey to Route 22. However, Geodude and Onix only have normal attacks, and low special. So technically Charmander can still defeat them with Ember despite the type disadvantage.

For me, i would say Sabrina in the Kanto games. The level jump from Erika to Sabrina is no joke, her pokemon can potentially OHKO you with their psychic attacks. Not many pokemon resist Psychic, best bug attacks can be found in Beedrill but is weak to psychic. The only ghost line is also weak to psychic (in gen 1, ghost is not effective). It is not as bad in Let's Go since there are TMs we can obtain that is useful, but the level jump is still there.

User Info: Thard_Verad

Thard_Verad
4 weeks ago#36
Versus Brock with Charmander, you might want to spam Growl, Sand Attack, and Tail Whip before you actually start attacking. What's he going to do? Bide you to death as you drop his stats?

Versus Sabrina, ONLY Psychic Pokemon resist Psychic attacks. And then she has Psywave which deals random damage and ignores type.
"Many in harmony surpass one in perfection." - Guildmaster, Etrian Odyssey II

User Info: jw91

jw91
4 weeks ago#37
Thard_Verad posted...
Versus Brock with Charmander, you might want to spam Growl, Sand Attack, and Tail Whip before you actually start attacking. What's he going to do? Bide you to death as you drop his stats?

I get it, but again, hindsight's 20/20. As an internetless kid playing a brand new game called Pokemon Red in 1996, you had very little idea what certain moves did or how to exploit them.

Even the use of Bide is not explained to you until after the battle with Brock.

Today, yeah, Brock is easy to beat and there's a very simple strategy to do so, but that wouldn't be immediately apparent to a player at release.

User Info: jw91

jw91
4 weeks ago#38
jw91 posted...
Thard_Verad posted...

I get it, but again, hindsight's 20/20. As an internetless kid playing a brand new game called Pokemon Red in 1996, you had very little idea what certain moves did or how to exploit them. Even the use of Bide is not explained to you until after the battle with Brock.

Today, yeah, Brock is easy to beat and there's a very simple strategy to do so, but that wouldn't be immediately apparent to a player at release.

As for Sabrina, I usually train up a decent Hypno (I swear Gen I Hypno was way more awesome than II-VII Hypno) by the time I reach her, so I can't recall ever having too much trouble with her.

User Info: Skull_pro

Skull_pro
4 weeks ago#39
Thard_Verad posted...

Versus Sabrina, ONLY Psychic Pokemon resist Psychic attacks. And then she has Psywave which deals random damage and ignores type.

The reason Psywave ignore types is because it's random damage is actually psudo-fixed damage. Instead of Seismic Toss and Night Shade which will do damage equal to your level (or Dragon Rage/Sonic Boom doing a fuxed 40/20 damage) Psywave will choose a random number between 50 and 150, and the damage will be equal to your level X the random number's%

Meaning that at level 50, Psywave will do anywhere between 25 and 75 damage, and that damage is "fixed" ignoring type advantage/disadvantage (with the exception that it still get blocked by dark types)
My FC: 5301 2862 3777
Send me Donkey Kong Country Challenges! More info at: https://www.facebook.com/Challenge-NeoArashi-1882592348727869/

User Info: Thard_Verad

Thard_Verad
4 weeks ago#40
Skull_pro posted...
Thard_Verad posted...

The reason Psywave ignore types is because it's random damage is actually psudo-fixed damage. Instead of Seismic Toss and Night Shade which will do damage equal to your level (or Dragon Rage/Sonic Boom doing a fuxed 40/20 damage) Psywave will choose a random number between 50 and 150, and the damage will be equal to your level X the random number's%

Meaning that at level 50, Psywave will do anywhere between 25 and 75 damage, and that damage is "fixed" ignoring type advantage/disadvantage (with the exception that it still get blocked by dark types)

Actually in Gen 1 the minimum damage was exactly 1. It wasn't until later that they changed it to half your level. And with no Dark-types in sight, good luck.
"Many in harmony surpass one in perfection." - Guildmaster, Etrian Odyssey II
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Ultra Sun
  3. Gym leaders that were legit hard for you?
  • Topic Archived